Any way to transfer DVR'd Stuff?

kane1514

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
K so i have 2 721's and since they are probably going to want me to trade them back in do i just lose everything i have on there? I have a couple external HD's but the last time i tried to hook one to it .... it didnt even recognise it.

How bad do you want to save your stuff?? If you can gain axx to the HD in the units you culd hook them up to a PC then boot parted magic livecd (download.coX). Once in parted you can transfer all folders to PC hd .. once you recev new systems get the exturnal HD activated and format HD on new 722. Then use parted to transfer off your pc to the exturnal HD and enjoy!1

*Note* do your best to not to make it look like you oppend the recever..If you break it you just bought it!!!

Do you have a DVD recorder? That would be another option.

I bought one at Best Buy, recorded stuff off that I really wanted (you have to play it back in real time on the TV), then returned the recorder for a full refund. Best Buy does not charge a re-stocking fee on DVD recorders and if you pack it back up carefully retaping to box right, the sales clerks don't look at the box that well.

But you didn't hear that from me...... ;)

I've been using a Hava Titanium HD to archive stuff to an external hard drive and can stream it to any computer on my network and over the internet.

Hello MT
Can you elaborate as to how you do the above? You have me curious.
Thanks,
N

Hello MT
Thanks,
N

The Hava connects to your receiver via component, s-video or composite, to your network with Cat-5 or wireless, and to an external USB hard drive. With it you can schedule it to record to the attached HD or a computer on your network. Similar to the recordable DVD method, it records in real time.

You can also simply use it to watch your Dish programming on your computer, at home or anywhere with an internet connection. It has an IR emitter to control your receiver via its software.

Last edited:
I have a Hava Platinum HD, so I'll elaborate. All "metal" models of Hava (except the Gold) can record as well as stream. Think of a Slingbox Solo, but w/o the DRM. Note that Hava does not (yet) have a true HD place-shifting device; the models with "HD" after their names are HD-input only. Misleading name, no? Anyhow, what they do is they accept an analog signal, including component HD input, and downconvert that to EDTV. The local data stream can be viewed (as well as recorded) by as many as 5 PCs. The local data stream is standard MPEG-2. I've gotten excellent results with my Platinum.

Edit: Ha! Cross post w/MTdoIT.

How To HACK?

How bad do you want to save your stuff?? If you can gain axx to the HD in the units you culd hook them up to a PC then boot parted magic livecd (download.coX). Once in parted you can transfer all folders to PC hd .. once you recev new systems get the exturnal HD activated and format HD on new 722. Then use parted to transfer off your pc to the exturnal HD and enjoy!1

*Note* do your best to not to make it look like you oppend the recever..If you break it you just bought it!!!

Isn't this HACKING?

Isn't this HACKING?

No, and neither is using PVRExplorer.exe. Copying certain PPV, On Demand and premium network programming might be considered copyright infringement, but it's not the satellite hack talk that earns an instant ban AFAIK. There's nothing wrong in terms of fair use of making a copy of network or most basic multichannel programming.

Isn't this HACKING?

No no not hacking just transfring data.. dvr transfers data form sat to inturnal HD then one can transfer that data to another HD if they wish $29 sumting to dish for using exturnal usb.. Or my method if u dont mind all the work..

In no way this is hacking it will not get you the dirty chanels for free. it will transfer your shows back and forth but inorder to view the recordings it has to be on the DVR..

Is there any way to transfer from the internal HD on a 625 to a new receiver? I assume using an EHD via USB, but i need to keep this simple since I'm helping a friend replace their 625 that is on its death bed.