Any Way to Watch On-Line Videos on a TV

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
There's so many videos that are 0n-line only, not just from Dish but from many other sources. I have a 722, a Mac, iPads, a Roku and a Marantz AVR, and some videos will play via Plex but most will not . Is there any possible way to play them all on a TV either with hardware or software?

Not from the Dish gear.

With your Mac, depending on age, you could also use an AppleTV and airplay any videos you can find on the Mac to the TV. I do it a fair amount of time.

There is with Android, if the TV is capable of receiving the signal. For instance the Youtube app will send the picture to the TV via the LAN.

I use my computer for that. 35 foot HDMI cable from computer to HDTV :) I don't have A&E but watch my favorite shows streamed from their website.

I use a mini TV computer that has an android operating system to run android apps on my TV. I also use it as an additional TV on my Hopper Joey system with out actually having to pay for an additional monthly lease fee.

Not from the Dish gear.

With your Mac, depending on age, you could also use an AppleTV and airplay any videos you can find on the Mac to the TV. I do it a fair amount of time.

I have an iMac that's about 1 years old running 10.8.4. So you are saying that anything I can watch on a browser I can watch via ATV? I can enlarge to full screen just like I do on the computer?

I'd rather that go hardwired if possible.

Go to system preferences and select displays, check the bottom box to show mirroring options. You can now enable mirroring there or from the menu bar anytime to the Apple TV. Netflix and many others are also built directly into the Apple TV.

Thanks guys, I think I'll give Apple TV a try. It's probably the easiest way to go (for me at least).

I use a mini-DVI to HDMI cable to send my early-2009 MacBook display to a mirrored or separate output. The MB screen is only 1280x800 but the DVI is full 1080p. Since then Macs went to mini-DisplayPort and HDMI and now use Thunderbolt, all post-VGA.

Unfortunately DVI does not include sound. I could use TOS-link from the electrical/optical audio out but mostly just use the MB's low-volume speakers as I don't do it that often with ~11TB of recordings from Dish, mostly still to be watched.

Too bad I can't play, or haven't yet been able to play those encrypted recordings through the computer or other to take on the road. This falls in the category with 1000+ e-books that I have hoarded along with 2250 IMDb rated movies and most recently 2150 episodes of 25+ currently running 8* and up TV series. Most of these shows were gathered this year with the Hopper and are 5/6 of all episodes of those shows--thank you for too many reruns. LOL Sort by episode helps, better would be sort by first aired.

-Ken

Ok so I have an ATV hooked up to my AVR and I'm able to mirror what I am seeing on my computer onto the TV. Questions:
Is there any way to control the computer from my home theater TV?
Is there any way to mirror content from the Dish Anywhere app or browser on my iPad? I get an error message when I try.

KKlare: I see "collecting" is now your day job. ;)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

AJF: Apple or Dish or both do not allow for Hopper transfers to the iPad to be output to a TV over HDMI. I don't see why they'd care, it's still viewing not copying and still has HDCP. I've read here that a JB overcomes this and allows for the larger screen but no word on PQ.

I thought we heard that the PQ was only about as good as the Sling stream, i.e. not HD.

Sounds more than good enough for me when I'm in my RV. I think that TV is 28" or 32".

I know that makes no sense to me, in general it makes no sense that many content providers will allow you to watch their programs in a computer, but not on a TV within the same home/network. BTW, what's a JB (do you have the letter's reversed because I know what that is lol?)?
BUT, that's not what I was referring to. I can watch a movie on my iPad using the Dish Anywhere app but if I try to mirror it onto the AppleTV, I get an error message. Yet I can mirror a movie I'm watching on my computer on the Dish Anywhere website to the Apple TV.

Jail Break.

And don't look to me to make sense of the rules. I'm with you- they should, but don't, make sense.

I can watch a movie on my iPad using the Dish Anywhere app but if I try to mirror it onto the AppleTV, I get an error message. Yet I can mirror a movie I'm watching on my computer on the Dish Anywhere website to the Apple TV.

I was just about to go down this road and buy an AppleTV just for the Sling-reception ability, so good to see your post. Is this is a general policy thing for all iPad/iphones using Airplay? Neither has Dish Anywhere support?

Probably not a deal-breaker to have to do viewing from my Macbook, but the remote option would have been more convenient to use on a phone/ipad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts