Any word on E* adding SV locals?

jhamps10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Flora, IL
hey yall, any word on E* adding any SV locals Nationally? I believe that at team summit, there was some discussion on this issue.

Because I feel that E* has local channels in over 90% of the nation, but why can't they give people local channel options from more than one market, like my area for example, we are literaly on a boundary line of 4 DMA's. ALL of which are served by E* for locals, so why is there VERY few SV stations on E*?

jb,

SV locals are local channels that you recieve but are not from your local Market area.

For example with cable in my home town we have local channels from St. Louis, MO, terre haute, IN and Evansville, IN. Our local market is St. Louis. and the cable company also brodcasts the local channels from Terre Haute and Evansville, but dish network only shows the channels from your local market area.

Does that explain it better for ya jb?

Good question, North Central WV has no ABC, and now recently does not qualify for a national ABC yet Local cable provides a Pittsburg ABC.
I'd like to know also

yeah, that sounds pretty interesting for ya gern.

When I e-mail E*, I basically get confused asking for local channel info period. Basically even though there is a PBS station 15 miles away from my house, because they don't go on the STL DMA, I get stuck watching PBS from st. Louis which basically is well let's bash everyone and show kids programming the rest of the time.

I just wish that E* would get their head out of their butt and flip the switch for SV locals.

I don't think E* has a choice, I believe by law they deliver the channels the law says they can. I'm sure if it was up to E* you could have whatever channels you want for locals, but the local markets and others (FCC or congress) say different. someone who knows better im sure can explain it better. For some reason cable companies get different rules it seems.

For example where I live, 02324 I qualify for Boston locals, but the next town over, 02780 qualifies for Rhode Island locals, even though most people there dont give a hoot about rhode island as they live and work in MA. I agree I think something needs to be done about getting people the locals they want, especially when people are on the border like that.

Someone on here made an excellent point once, that I could go down to the bookstore and get the paper from LA and NY and Orlando if I want, but I don't have a choice about what local tv station i want to watch.

this would be a great thing for E*and D*offer its customers:eureka ;) I'm in the Charleston-Huntington, WV DMA, On cable (charter until next week--I'm moving to E*) we also get channels from the Lexington, KY market. I would rather have the Lexington, KY channels if E* could do that:up where can we send emails to request the FCC to allow such programming to take place?

jhamps10 said:
jb,

SV locals are local channels that you recieve but are not from your local Market area.

Does that explain it better for ya jb?
What does "SV" stand for?

Cold Irons said:
Significantly Viewed ..... I think.....
Thanks.

I'm confused about the original question. " hey yall, any word on E* adding any SV locals Nationally? " Significantly Viewed channels may exist in adjacent DMA's under limited circumstance. They are not a national issue.

One of the specific areas that Mr. Ergin said existed and was identified by the FCC was the Baltimore and DC DMA's. They are adjacent and indeed for a good part of the two DMA's the line blurs between the DMA's as far as which city's stations are viewed.

FCC has published a listing of all authorized SV channels across the country, based on your state and county. I think the guestion is: When will Dish implement the SV channels for more areas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts