Any word on mirroring 119 HD channels on new sat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
I'm a happy Comcast cable subscriber, first of all. But, I cannot really give too much thought to DirecTV where I am, as 119 is too low in the sky, and is at the top of some distant trees from me, so in the spring and summer the signal changes from 80s with no wind, to near 0 when the wind blows. I tried DirecTV last summer and found this out. I got solid signals near 99 on all other sats at the time. I know I'm not the only person who cannot get 119 solidly as it is the lowest bird in the sky for DirecTV.

Anyway, my question is this: Has anyone heard or know anything about any plans DirecTV might have to either move or mirror the 119 HD channels (ESPN2 HD, HDNet, etc) on one of the new satellites? If they do this, I know that DirecTV would be something myself and my others could once again consider, and I think it would open up the door for many more possible subscribers for DirecTV.

Thanks.

They do plan on converting those channels to MPEG4 at some point, but I don't know for sure whether they would do it on a new satellite (my guess is they would).

I'm a happy Comcast cable subscriber, first of all. But, I cannot really give too much thought to DirecTV where I am, as 119 is too low in the sky, and is at the top of some distant trees from me, so in the spring and summer the signal changes from 80s with no wind, to near 0 when the wind blows. I tried DirecTV last summer and found this out. I got solid signals near 99 on all other sats at the time. I know I'm not the only person who cannot get 119 solidly as it is the lowest bird in the sky for DirecTV.

Anyway, my question is this: Has anyone heard or know anything about any plans DirecTV might have to either move or mirror the 119 HD channels (ESPN2 HD, HDNet, etc) on one of the new satellites? If they do this, I know that DirecTV would be something myself and my others could once again consider, and I think it would open up the door for many more possible subscribers for DirecTV.

Thanks.

ESPNHD (206) & ESPN2HD (209) are in MPEG4 on the new bird, I think, as well as still on 119 on 72 & 73 respectively.

ESPNHD (206) & ESPN2HD (209) are in MPEG4 on the new bird, I think, as well as still on 119 on 72 & 73 respectively.

The old MPEG2 HD channels, like 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 501 and 537 are still MPEG2 on the old Ku satellites (101/110/119) even with the new channel numbers like, they're just vertial channel numbers. To prove it just pull the BBC from the input to your STB, you'll still be able to receive those old channels even on the new channel numbers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)