Any word on the street

jappleboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I see that cable is still talking to MLB about extra innings. Has anyone seen or heard any thing from dish. Or is it just gone.

As of 9:45 this morning my (unofficial) sources told me that Dish is still in heavy talks with MLB.

Take it for what its worth.

As of 9:45 this morning my (unofficial) sources told me that Dish is still in heavy talks with MLB.

Which translates to: Charlie Ergen and team are standing in front of a tv tuned to Dish channel 625 and cursing the he** out of it!
(that or they're tuned to the EI channels on D*)

:D

Update: April 3 1:00pm est

More details have surfaced on where the negotiations are at on Extra Innings, MLB television package for out-of-market games.

The Sports Business Daily reports that, “One of the holdups for EchoStar is the lack of a firm proposal on equity ownership of the MLB Channel, one Dish Network source said. It’s not clear how much ownership of the channel MLB and DirecTV is willing to give, or whether DirecTV's 20% stake would be diluted.”

Added MLB president and COO Bob DuPuy, “No deal is possible without the agreement of DirecTV. We have a contract with them and they have been fully engaged in the process, including any extensions.”

Cable and Mlb extra innings

Ok i see that cable is trying very hard to work out a deal for extra innings. Were is dish, not one word from them. I also see from alot of threads that that there is more black out this year on RSN. I smell a bad Fish, Directv is working very hard on cable NOT TO LAND A DEAL with extra innings.( And dish is in the back ground crawing) . We want baseball.

4-3-07

More details have surfaced on where the negotiations are at on Extra Innings, the MLB television package for out-of-market games.

The Sports Business Daily reports that, “One of the holdups for EchoStar is the lack of a firm proposal on equity ownership of the MLB Channel, one Dish Network source said. It’s not clear how much ownership of the channel MLB and DirecTV is willing to give, or whether DirecTV's 20% stake would be diluted.”

Added MLB president and COO Bob DuPuy, “No deal is possible without the agreement of DirecTV. We have a contract with them and they have been fully engaged in the process, including any extensions.”

It is not about this year

If bet Directv knows that most cable and dish customer will not jump ship this Year. Maybe 5% to 7% But the next two years will be big. A lot of new Hd line up ,all the sports packs you can watch. Most in Hd and growing.I know on this side my wife will not let me change at this time because Directv only has very few HD channels that she likes. Voom channel are not her bag.I will say this if Dish loses Mlb extra innings and expands there Hd line up. I will be gone. Hate to pony up for a new Dvr.So setting back and wathing to see if Dish stays the big dog in HD.

If bet Directv knows that most cable and dish customer will not jump ship this Year. Maybe 5% to 7% But the next two years will be big. A lot of new Hd line up ,all the sports packs you can watch. Most in Hd and growing.I know on this side my wife will not let me change at this time because Directv only has very few HD channels that she likes. Voom channel are not her bag.I will say this if Dish loses Mlb extra innings and expands there Hd line up. I will be gone. Hate to pony up for a new Dvr.So setting back and wathing to see if Dish stays the big dog in HD.

Think about what you just said. You say 5% - 7% will jump this year - that's over 650,000 subs just from DISH. If that ever happend it would be a huge (and maybe fatal) loss for them. At a very low estimate of $50/month that alone would be 390 million dollars a year.

Think about what you just said. You say 5% - 7% will jump this year - that's over 650,000 subs just from DISH. If that ever happend it would be a huge (and maybe fatal) loss for them. At a very low estimate of $50/month that alone would be 390 million dollars a year.
5% to 7% of the 1% that sub to EI on Dish. Not such a big number. 13,000,000 * .01 * .07 * $50/month * 12 = $5,460,000/year.

Correct, Senato.

If Dish lost 10% of its MLB-EI subs of last year, it would lose in the neighborhood of 5,000 subs.

But then next year, when virtually all the MLB-EI games will be delivered in HD, and DirecTV has a full off-season to promoite the HD package, things might be substantially different -- both for Dish and cable subs if a deal isn't reached.

But on another point: why would Dish be turning on so many HD RSNs in the past couple of days if it didn't at least have hopes of getting the MLB-EI package? The vast majority of HD material from those RSNs will be MLB games for at least the next six months.

But on another point: why would Dish be turning on so many HD RSNs in the past couple of days if it didn't at least have hopes of getting the MLB-EI package? The vast majority of HD material from those RSNs will be MLB games for at least the next six months.

I don't really see a connection. Turning on the RSN's in HD is a carrot to the subs only. At least they are giving them the ability to see their teams home games - so that is a large appeasement IMHO. Remember, even this comes a season after DirecTV did the same thing.

RSN games are available to subs in the teams' local territory, regardless of EI. e.g. My zipcode is claimed by four MLB teams as being in their local territory. So if I get their RSN, I get their games (in HD when available), and can't be blacked out.

There's the proverbial saying that "you can't please all of the people all of the time". I think even Dish is familiar with it.

However common sense (something Dish sometimes lacks) dictates that it's probably good business to make every effort to please as many as possible at least some of the time. You know, give every little demographical niche a little something special once in a while.

I don't know how many Dish subs are based in upper New England but whatever the amount, it's certainly a "niche" that's been bypassed for a long time.

No HD LiLs.
SD LiLs are pretty crappy.
No distants, HD or SD.
OTA of any kind impossible for many.
And now it looks like we'll get by-passed for NESN HD too.

Our 622s just got messed up with the 4.01 download too and prices went up to boot. Yep, way to go Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts