Anybody else noticed an increase in Upgrade work orders?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I did an upgrade on the 5th (311 to a 211k) and was surprised to find that the customer was still able to sign up for "HD Free for Life" while enrolling in autopay online.

Are you sure it was HD for life, or to get HD free for the two years as a new subscriber?

Yep customers can't get HD free for life now even if they are a current customer and just upgrade. I've seen this too alot lately as well, they are getting PUSHED into upgrading when they don't need it or can get it. Far too many days now have I had to move a damn dish or can't do anything at all cause of tree's or other issues blocking LOS for the HD satellite as in 129. They have a Dish 500 for a reason most of the time cause that is all they can hit and lucky if they can hit that. We can't modify the damn work orders from 722's down to 625's cause of the HD push for "future proofing them" and the double or triple 211's is beyond stupid when we could make it so much easier and better for them doing a 222 or 222k. I talked a lady out of the upgrade the other day cause CSR told her for just 1 channel she had to have a WA 1k2 dish installed or 129 - I was like WTF why??? she was gonna get charged so much more for just one channel and it was pointless for her with no HD Tv's to pay the HD fee on top of it.

Yep customers can't get HD free for life now even if they are a current customer and just upgrade. I've seen this too alot lately as well, they are getting PUSHED into upgrading when they don't need it or can get it. Far too many days now have I had to move a damn dish or can't do anything at all cause of tree's or other issues blocking LOS for the HD satellite as in 129. They have a Dish 500 for a reason most of the time cause that is all they can hit and lucky if they can hit that. We can't modify the damn work orders from 722's down to 625's cause of the HD push for "future proofing them" and the double or triple 211's is beyond stupid when we could make it so much easier and better for them doing a 222 or 222k. I talked a lady out of the upgrade the other day cause CSR told her for just 1 channel she had to have a WA 1k2 dish installed or 129 - I was like WTF why??? she was gonna get charged so much more for just one channel and it was pointless for her with no HD Tv's to pay the HD fee on top of it.

The system is fighting it, really. Maybe it's crazy, but, for instance, the 222s simply aren't there for upgrades any more, it is forcing a pair of 211s. For some customers in that situation (many? all?), it is giving a $7 credit for a period of time to offset the extra cost of using a pair of 211s instead of a 222. The idea, as you say, is to "future proof" for HD tvs, to avoid the customer calling back when they install a HD television at TV2 and want HD there, requiring to then do a pair of 211s to replace that 222. Better to do it now when the tech is there.

Right now, for most cases, it's not forcing upgrades unless the customer needs a tech out for something. Then, it's forcing the upgrade. The cust may be forced to move to HD equipment, but they're not forced to add HD to the account, and if they are, they can remove the HD code after the install.

It will take a while to replace a few million receivers... At least they appear to finally getting serious about a Western Arc conversion.

Are you sure it was HD for life, or to get HD free for the two years as a new subscriber?

Definitely got HD Free for Life. Confirmed it with the CSR before leaving the customers home. Also checked the customers account online and confirmed the Free for Life tag was on it. There was word that existing customers doing HD upgrades before 1/31 would still be able to sign up for HD Free for Life. Apparently, the system hadn't been completely updated with the changes yet. Don't know about now.

If this is really pushing HD at every outlet this hard, then they really should just convert everyone to Hoppers and Joeys and make the DVR capabilities a software setting that the user can either activate and pay the monthly fee or not use the DVR portion. This would provide for a much better user experience without any increase in price over multiple 211 receivers. Dish could even get creative and have DVR functionality free previews to entice users to activate the feature and increase revenue.

If this is really pushing HD at every outlet this hard, then they really should just convert everyone to Hoppers and Joeys and make the DVR capabilities a software setting that the user can either activate and pay the monthly fee or not use the DVR portion. This would provide for a much better user experience without any increase in price over multiple 211 receivers. Dish could even get creative and have DVR functionality free previews to entice users to activate the feature and increase revenue.

That would be silly to waste the money on Hard drives that will may never be used. I understand your point. But paying up front just in case they want to use it. I don't think that makes financial sense.

Last edited:
That would be silly to waste the money on Hard drives that will may never be used. I understand your point. But paying up front just invade they want to use it. I don't think that makes financial sense.
I'm not sure the price difference would be all that significant (especially since the consensus is that Joeys are cheaper to make than regular receivers). Obviously, someone would have to crunch some numbers and place a value on the improved customer experience and the ability to end support for additional older models versus the added HDD cost, but I suspect it's a closer call than you may think.

I'm not sure the price difference would be all that significant (especially since the consensus is that Joeys are cheaper to make than regular receivers). Obviously, someone would have to crunch some numbers and place a value on the improved customer experience and the ability to end support for additional older models versus the added HDD cost, but I suspect it's a closer call than you may think.
I think they could get extra revenue from the Hopper as well. Give each "non-dvr service" Hopper upgrade 90 days of free DVR service, long enough for the user to really get used to DVR and trick play features. I think you would see a lot of those customers choosing to upgrade to full DVR after that free trial.

Add in potential from Video on Demand and streaming services, and it may make sense.

Back in the main frame/early hard disk days, IBM did something similar. They installed what were then considered to be "large" hard disks. The customer would order a computer with a certain amount of hard disk storage. IBM gave them access to that much storage. Then, when they wanted more storage, IBM just had a service tech go out and change some settings that allowed access to more of that already installed disk. It was common practice for techs to work alone, without the customer present. Of course, the customer did not know this was going on. Sometimes the tech would even arrive with a large phoney container with the "new disk." It didn't go over well when this practice was revealed.

However, enough of the "sea stories." By placing a Hopper, even with the DVR disabled, Dish has a good marketing tool installed, as noted. An occasional demo or free access period would garner a few upgrades. Many would not want or be willing to fool with the added complications, but that number is dwindling. Show how a DVR can give you a much longer EPG, and trick plays. Recording whole programs can come later. My MiL was slow to try the DVR features on her cable box, but came to love them. It all started when there was a program coming on she wanted to see, but had to be elsewhere at the time. She figured out how to record it.

I was thinking exactly the same with the DVR. I seem to recall that Dish can take a DVR and make it a "non-DVR" model by toggling a setting in the software. Or wait, maybe I'm thinking of ATT Uverse (all of their set-tops are DVR models, but unless the customer pays for DVR service, it's disabled by software). Anyway, what Dish could do is change the banner saying "try it for 30 days for free" and initially just talk about simple functions liking pausing, rewinding, etc on live TV.

The system is fighting it, really. Maybe it's crazy, but, for instance, the 222s simply aren't there for upgrades any more, it is forcing a pair of 211s. For some customers in that situation (many? all?), it is giving a $7 credit for a period of time to offset the extra cost of using a pair of 211s instead of a 222. The idea, as you say, is to "future proof" for HD tvs, to avoid the customer calling back when they install a HD television at TV2 and want HD there, requiring to then do a pair of 211s to replace that 222. Better to do it now when the tech is there.

Right now, for most cases, it's not forcing upgrades unless the customer needs a tech out for something. Then, it's forcing the upgrade. The cust may be forced to move to HD equipment, but they're not forced to add HD to the account, and if they are, they can remove the HD code after the install.

Issue is the tech isn't getting paid worth a darn for the upgrades as it now requires more time and more things to wire when you don't use a dual tuner 222 in place of those two 211's. Not everyone was wired back whenever with triple lines from the Dish, this is where my biggest complaint comes in as Direct seems to have figured it out when it comes to just 1 line from the dish to run several receivers. To the life of me I can't understand why Dish refuses to find some other technology to run just a single line to run up to 5 boxes at least or two hoppers from a single line to the LNB.

Not everyone was wired back whenever with triple lines from the Dish...

Those of us with 3 duo receivers do have 3 lines. Dish should have just bitten the bullet and done that for ALL 1000.n installs, so as to avoid this missing cable crap.

Issue is the tech isn't getting paid worth a darn for the upgrades as it now requires more time and more things to wire when you don't use a dual tuner 222 in place of those two 211's. Not everyone was wired back whenever with triple lines from the Dish, this is where my biggest complaint comes in as Direct seems to have figured it out when it comes to just 1 line from the dish to run several receivers. To the life of me I can't understand why Dish refuses to find some other technology to run just a single line to run up to 5 boxes at least or two hoppers from a single line to the LNB.

Channel Stacking Switch technology (DircTv) vs. Band Stacking Switch technology (Dish). Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Objectively, one can't say which is better; subjectively, individuals will have a preference. Personally, I'll take the advantages of BSS over CSS.

Those of us with 3 duo receivers do have 3 lines. Dish should have just bitten the bullet and done that for ALL 1000.n installs, so as to avoid this missing cable crap.

Well you run into costs and for many which are done by sub contractors you pay for those cables and other parts used. You only put in what is needed and that is it same goes with techs that don't pay for the parts since running more cable requires more time which means less money. If Dish wants to bite that bullet as you say they they should pay their techs accordingly instead of trying to rip them off every chance they get.

If Dish wants to bite that bullet as you say they they should pay their techs accordingly instead of trying to rip them off every chance they get.

Exactly. That is what I meant by "bite the bullet". Speaking of which, where on earth did that expression come from?

I think people are overstating the "DVR marketing factor" a bit. My in-laws have had a DVR receiver for years, and they just don't use it. There are 2 recordings on their DVR, both from times when I was visiting over the holidays. Many are just too set in their ways or technically illiterate to even try it out.

I think people are overstating the "DVR marketing factor" a bit. My in-laws have had a DVR receiver for years, and they just don't use it. There are 2 recordings on their DVR, both from times when I was visiting over the holidays. Many are just too set in their ways or technically illiterate to even try it out.
Sounds like you're talking about my in-laws.... And my parents don't even have a set-top. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts