Anybody fool with WeatherFax?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatAdam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I am wanting to get a weatherfax setup, well, just because ;)

Has anyone played with them and what kind of setup do you have?

Not for some time

I have played with a program called WeFax about a year and a half ago and was looking at LEOS fax transmissions.

My setup was modest. I used a homemade crossed dipole using some copper pipe and PVC. I had it tuned to 137.5 Mhz and it seemed to work well enough.

I had this hooked up to my Icom PCR-100 radio. I had the bandwidth set to 50hz. This was the only filter I had wide enough to catch the whole 25Khz of the signal.

I'm not even sure that the LEOS are still working up there. But then again I havn't checked either ;)

I've been receiving LOE satellites for several years now. Those sats are still alive and well. In fact, a new one (NOAA 18) became operational within the last year. I have a homemade crossed dipole antenna, preamp, Hamtronics DIY receiver kit and use WXtoIMG software. If your looking to receive GOES goestationary satellites, you'll need at least a 4 foot dish, LNB, receiver and software. There are several places on the 'net that sell those things. It's a fun hobby if you're into watching weather. Have fun.

I too have played with that over the years referred to as APT (Automatic Picture Transmission) fro LEOS or Polar orbiters on 137.5 mhz etc.It is alot of fun seening images from sapce in real time.
Havn't done much with it lately.

Dave

I used to, but seemed like the only time I had to mess with it was at night, and of course you can guess that all of the images were pretty dark hi hi.

You missed the infrared channel then?

I've played with it, but I don't have a permanent setup yet. I keep saying I'll get around to putting up a decent antenna, but for various reasons I never do.

I've never tried GOES. If I want wide-area images I can get them on the Internet. The POES scans are much more interesting.

so what kind of equipment do I need? I was thinking of the Hamtronics reciever, it's $259, they want $150 for the antenna (which I think I can build, just need some direction in design)

I assume you feed the reciever with RG 59U?

Hi Satadam
most of those antennas are with 50 ohm cable like RG58 but cable with less loss is better, there are alot of receivers around I bought a kit from RIG is the UK as the Europeans are into this stuff.Also check out the Quadrafiliar Antenna you can build,http://www.qsl.net/n8imo/qha_4.html this one I made and found it to work very well.There are many sites they tell you all about Apt Satellite reception try a search under wxsat as this is a software used with a receiver and your computers sound card to receive disply and edit signals.

Dave

Is there any place I could buy some of this equipment used?

I have used my Icom PCR100 receiver, it has a 50Khz wide filter that can be used. I would imagine that the PCR1000 would also work but your going to pay more for it.

From what I know the signals are 25Khz wide so using a 50Khz filter would allow a lot of noise to come through. It might be a good idea to use an antenna with a narrow bandwidth to cut down on the noise. Also a crossed dipole with a reflector on it will let you focus the beam overhead, but this does little for you when the LEOS hit the horizon.

Hmmm I might have to get my setup back together if those birds are still singing.

Looks like some renewed interest here. I may have ti blow the dust off my stuff and put the Quadrafiliar Antenna back up. Whats another antenna anyway.
Like my neighbour said to me "Are you tracking the Space Shuttle with those dishes" and I tell hin actually yes i can watch it on NASA TV.LoL.

Dave

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)