Anybody having OTA guide issues with the 811?

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
The dish 921 guide data fiasco prompted me to call dish to see if they would fix the issue.

They told me that the 921 *and* the 811 are having problems with OTA guide info. Yet, I don't see a single thread here suggesting 811 users are having an OTA guide issue.

Are you having OTA guide issues?

On the 921, they give you OTA guide info, however, they require you to buy locals for another $6/mo to get it.

I think they are crooks, and now I think they just lied to me.

For analog stations, I have no problems. Although I subscribe, when looking at the OTA local, it has the same guide info as the carried local. For digital OTA other than the main channel, it simply shows "Local Digital". The nn-01 digital does show the info. This means they are using the program schedule supplied by the station and not the PSIP that carries some information for the digital, soon to be fully required by the FCC.

jsanders said:
They told me that the 921 *and* the 811 are having problems with OTA guide info. Yet, I don't see a single thread here suggesting 811 users are having an OTA guide issue.

Well guess you need another avenue to vent. ;) Yes there are guide issues with the 811. Read the thread after OTA Guide was added and you will get the cruix of the issue. With all different OTA configuraitons out there, there is bound to be some issues on first release.

So I would figured that Dish did not lie to you on this issue. As for paying for locals to get OTA guide information issue, I fully understand your frustration and I we can hope dish takes another look at this.

I have a new 921 sitting in my living room to be installed Saturday.

WeeJavaDude said:
Well guess you need another avenue to vent. ;) Yes there are guide issues with the 811. Read the thread after OTA Guide was added and you will get the cruix of the issue. With all different OTA configuraitons out there, there is bound to be some issues on first release.

So I would figured that Dish did not lie to you on this issue. As for paying for locals to get OTA guide information issue, I fully understand your frustration and I we can hope dish takes another look at this.

I have a new 921 sitting in my living room to be installed Saturday.
Most of the guide issues right now are related to PSIP and how E* translates and uses it. I would consider these guide issues to be minor. OTA broadcast reception is another issue entirely.

Jason

nippjas said:
Most of the guide issues right now are related to PSIP and how E* translates and uses it. I would consider these guide issues to be minor. OTA broadcast reception is another issue entirely.

Jason

Minor perhaps, but still guide issues. ;)

nippjas said:

Jason
OTA guide was added in 2.81 for a few test markets using the data from the dish locals and there hasn't been any upgrades yet. So how do you conclude that the 811 is usin PSIP?????

Okay, it sounds like they lied to me. I guess I have to add a caveat to my opening statement. They were saying that the 811 was having problems since yesterday. I was kind of fishing for some new problems surfacing with the 811 in just the last day.

n0qcu said:
OTA guide was added in 2.81 for a few test markets using the data from the dish locals and there hasn't been any upgrades yet. So how do you conclude that the 811 is usin PSIP?????
From information provided to me by Echostar...which I think justifies my conclusion.

Jason

Think about it, if they were using PSIP, why would it be limited to just a few markets? If it were PSIP, all markets would have it, but only a few stations in any market would be transmitting it. It wouldn't be something where all stations in one market transmit it, and no stations in another market were transmitting it. PSIP is a terrestrial signal, it doesn't come from the satellite. Dish is not using it.

jsanders said:
Think about it, if they were using PSIP, why would it be limited to just a few markets? If it were PSIP, all markets would have it, but only a few stations in any market would be transmitting it. It wouldn't be something where all stations in one market transmit it, and no stations in another market were transmitting it. PSIP is a terrestrial signal, it doesn't come from the satellite. Dish is not using it.
I also stated they have issues with the way they translate and use the info. They are not using the entire data set provided by PSIP, only a portion. I would be more than happy to forward your personal information on to the parties who told me this.

Include your name, name on your account, address of receiver, phone number on account, and phone number to contact you at.

Jason

nippjas said:
From information provided to me by Echostar...which I think justifies my conclusion.

Jason
I stand corrected. I thought I had read differently, searched and found I never read anything to draw my conclusion from. Sorry Jason

n0qcu said:
I stand corrected. I thought I had read differently, searched and found I never read anything to draw my conclusion from. Sorry Jason
Not an issue...but it is something I have been complaining about. If you read the PSIP explained link I posted awhile back you will see all of the information contained within it. E* doesn't even extrapolate a fraction of the info in it.

jsanders said:
Oh almost forgot. It's not only the fact E* doesn't fully utilize it, there yet remain another issue that the station sending it OTA more than sometimes screws up. Read some of the PSIP forum thread on other websites. OTA ATSC is fairly new to most broadcasters...they haven't all perfected the transmissions yet and a good chunk of them are even still broadcasting their digital signals from temporary towers and at minimal power output. Before you make a blanket statement as fact, like you did with your "E* doesn't use it" comment, let me state the search button can be your friend. Their are several ATSC forums. E* uses guide data from the PID sat stream as well...PSIP doesn't go out 48 hours...

Jason

So why is it that my Dish locals have complete guide info, but my 811 OTA guide only has info for 3 of the 8 local digital stations? Do I just have a bad receiver?

mdonnelly said:
So why is it that my Dish locals have complete guide info, but my 811 OTA guide only has info for 3 of the 8 local digital stations? Do I just have a bad receiver?
I give up, I tried to explain it several times between multiple threads and forums now. I guess my info sucks and you just need to email Diishnetwork and get your own.

nippjas said:
I give up, I tried to explain it several times between multiple threads and forums now. I'm burnt out, tired, grumpy, and I guess my info sucks and you just need to call Diishnetwork and get your own. Try 800 333-3474 see if you can talk to someone in the US none-the-less Denver.

mdonnelly said:
I give up, I tried to explain it several times between multiple threads and forums now. I'm burnt out, tired, grumpy, and I guess my info sucks and you just need to call Diishnetwork and get your own. Try 800 333-3474 see if you can talk to someone in the US none-the-less Denver.

Guys, give nippjas a break here. He's only trying to help yall out. He does have reliable sources at E*. He can only go off what his sources have been telling him.

Digital OTA guide data is sent out by the stations themselves. I have Directv's HD receiver and mine are sent out by my local OTA HD stations.

If yall are having a problem with the guide data not showing up then call DISH and see what they say. If they say it's because of your local stations then call your local stations and make sure they are broadcasting the guide data as well.

It's not the OTA PSIP guide data that's really important, it's the OTA PSIP mapping data - that's what ties the OTA station to the LiL station, and gives you guide data.

Kapish?

I'm not trying to be obstinate, I'm truely confused. Why does Dish have the right guide info on their locals, but the OTA guide is incomplete? Say it simply, as if to a backward child.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts