Anybody here from canada?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enragedalbinoyak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I'm not trying to get anyone specifically in trouble here, if that's what you're thinking.

My query here is this:

I'm considering moving up to canada sometime next year. Doing what I do I'd get paid more, it's an in demand field, and I've talked to a few official types who say it'd be quite possible for me to get a visa and such. Also, as a minnesota resident with tuition reciprocity, I'd pay less for college up there, and let's face it, your medical system pwns ours.

Anyway, I really like my DTV, and don't really want to lose it. In fact, it's one of the larger factors keeping me from moving up there. I know the RCMP are supposedly on some sort of campaign to stamp out the use of grey market dishes up there due to some court decision thinggie,
and I wondered if there's really a campaign out there, and if I could get away with using DTV without being screwed over for it? I have the slimline 5-lnb dish.

I'm not trying to get anyone specifically in trouble here, if that's what you're thinking.

My query here is this:

I'm considering moving up to canada sometime next year. Doing what I do I'd get paid more, it's an in demand field, and I've talked to a few official types who say it'd be quite possible for me to get a visa and such. Also, as a minnesota resident with tuition reciprocity, I'd pay less for college up there, and let's face it, your medical system pwns ours.

Anyway, I really like my DTV, and don't really want to lose it. In fact, it's one of the larger factors keeping me from moving up there. I know the RCMP are supposedly on some sort of campaign to stamp out the use of grey market dishes up there due to some court decision thinggie,
and I wondered if there's really a campaign out there, and if I could get away with using DTV without being screwed over for it? I have the slimline 5-lnb dish.

What you are asking about is not legal in Canada. This site doesn't support illegal activities.

I rode a tourist train into Canada & back to the USA once. There were many dishes on the trees north of Sault St Marie. Some said DTV. I think there may be a Canadian DTV. ...Anybody?

Joe

There are many people in Canada that use US providers and vice versa.

We have a canadian forum here that is mostly people in the US seeking Candian programming. It violates the terms of service, perhaps some laws.

Nothing that one would get locked up for (not legal advise).

If you have a US service address (i.e. don't call to move) your service will continue.

You'd have to buy your own dish (or take it with you) and install it yourself, or pay someone up there to install it.

There are many people in Canada that use US providers and vice versa.

We have a canadian forum here that is mostly people in the US seeking Candian programming. It violates the terms of service, perhaps some laws.

Nothing that one would get locked up for (not legal advise).

If you have a US service address (i.e. don't call to move) your service will continue.

You'd have to buy your own dish (or take it with you) and install it yourself, or pay someone up there to install it.

As a staff member, you should not be promoting such activities.

I'm not promoting any activities. He asked a reasonable question, I gave him an answer that showed him the options to do what he is asking.

I even told him that it violates the terms of service, and possibly some laws.

Should we not give him an accurate answer? He can make an educated decision with all the facts.

I'm not promoting any activities. He asked a reasonable question, I gave him an answer that showed him the options to do what he is asking.

I even told him that it violates the terms of service, and possibly some laws.

Should we not give him an accurate answer? He can make an educated decision with all the facts.

If you had stopped when you told him about the terms of service, then I would have no problem, but then you went on to advice him on how he could circumvent them. That's wrong.

Not according to Raoul.:rolleyes: This gentleman is paying for his services for crying-out-loud.

Yes he is paying for them, to receive them in the US, not in Canada. It's part of the terms of service. If you aren't going to abide by them, why sign up in the first place?

Yes he is paying for them, to receive them in the US, not in Canada. It's part of the terms of service. If you aren't going to abide by them, why sign up in the first place?
Because I like DTV?

I don't like the TOS, I like the 100 HD channels. If BEV had all the sh*t DTV has, then I'd have no reason to bring DTV up there, but that's not the case, is it?

Because I like DTV?

I don't like the TOS, I like the 100 HD channels. If BEV had all the sh*t DTV has, then I'd have no reason to bring DTV up there, but that's not the case, is it?

It's pretty obvious that nothing will change your mind, so go and do whatever you want. The rules don't apply to you.

It's pretty obvious that nothing will change your mind, so go and do whatever you want. The rules don't apply to you.

You're right on one thing, nothing will change my mind and make me think that bringing directv up there would be immoral. Who the f**k cares? DTV doesn't. At some points as many as 10% of their subscribers have been canadian. The only people who really care that much are moral absolutists like yourself and BEV executives who don't want to compete with DTV.

However, a few good anecdotes, information in a shift of RCMP policy, etc, might convince me to bite the bullet, and subscribe to the much shittier BEV, or maybe even ... *sighs* cable...

As an american using dtv in canada I do not think there should be any problem. No the rcmp is not rounding up people here - there is so much black market stuff here with fta to worry about and they don't do anything about it either.

Anyways, there are probably many thousands of rv's coming here every year with dtv/dn dishes on them. What would the nay sayers comment about that?

I have been a legit (under my terms - paying) DN and us sirius customer for many years. Interestingly when I bought my first DN model 3000 system (remember when you had to pay for a years sub up front) in Buffalo, NY , the customs agent was asking so many questions about where I bought it so he could get one! When our neighbors pool house blew up last summer and took out our dish, the insurance adjuster spent several hours talking to me about how he has been a DTV customer for years.

Rambling officially over - take the dish

BTW - my guess - you are an engineer moving to the Alberta oil fields.

Satboyz:D

You're right on one thing, nothing will change my mind and make me think that bringing directv up there would be immoral. Who the f**k cares? DTV doesn't.

If you do a search on moving here, you'll also see these same (few) people come out of the woodwork EVERY time someone asks about this. Since you just joined, this is where someone (like ME :D ) does the same thing within the US, so that we can get network locals from a market besides ours. I've done this since the '90's (back in the C-band days) & currently LUV having other locals besides my crappy-ass ones (on both E* & D* accounts) & sure as hell WON'T be changing things anytime soon. I couldn't begin to give a rat's heiny what these people think of me, or that my local stations don't like it... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just take your dish & continue to enjoy your prog that you are PAYING for & ignore the other "ramblings"

BTW - my guess - you are an engineer moving to the Alberta oil fields.

Satboyz:D

Not quite. I'm actually driving a school bus to put myself through college, and from the research I've done, I could make $5g more up there per year than I can down here ( More now that the CAN is kicking the dollar's ass), and as a minnesotan, I could get canadian citizen's tuition at the U of winnipeg, which has a decent teacher's program.

It's good to hear a couple of canadians sound off on this issue, truth be told, the potential loss of my DTV, more than the distance from family, friends and the occasional warm day, was the largest mark in the "con" column when considering a move away from this republican-infested quagmire we call a country. It's nice to assuage that fear a bit.

I'll keep you guys informed, but you can rest assured, unless you hear the phrase "President Barack Obama" repeatedly around January of '09 I'll be buying a heavier winter coat and studying Canadian history.

Thanks again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts