Anybody seeing pause skip issues with 722?

dwcleck

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Lately I notice that pause then skip ahead makes my 722 hang, show video out of sync a few seconds then it skips to live, missing parts of show. But if instead I go to a recording of the same show and skip there are no issues seen. So only happens with pause then skip forward or skip back. Is this software? Doesn't happen consistently.

Another school of thought is that you may also be hitting bad sectors on the drive or some sort of drive failure coming along. If you don't already have an External Hard Drive (EHD) get one, use it.. back up stuff you don't want to loose ... also backup your timers (unfortunately the 722 doesn't have the smart remote controller timer backup that the 722k has)... one way to back them up is go to DishOnline and print out the timers page.. then write in the specifics if needed (or copy that page, paste it in word and edit it from there).

Now .. Outside the drive issue.. the skip forward to live suggests to be drive failure.. *pause and skip back* however is different and has been majorly nasty on my 722k.. up until recently, after the Dish / Tivo settlement ... there was an update or two and the pause/back/skip issue was still there, but didn't seem to go as far...

The worst I'd ever had the "skip back" was in trying to step through a gun fight scene in the movie Ronin. When watching live .. the first time it skipped back 10 minutes.. and then each subsequent time it would skip back to the *exact* same spot .. which meant it went back 10 the first time, 12 or so the second.. 15 .. 25 minutes.. as I'd get to the spot I was trying to dissect with frame forward/backward ... and back it would go after I'd try play from pause. The most I've had for jump back since then was about 2 minutes. The guess is that the markers the DVR uses for chapter/time blocks was much bigger before the Tivo settlement.

Anyway.. get an EHD to be prepared .. no cost to activate ... and a 1TB drive is under 60 now 2TB around 80 .. etc. a worthy investment.

This has been a problem for the DVRs since the TiVo patent lawsuit which prompted EchoStar to change the way their time-shifting software works.

This has been a problem for the DVRs since the TiVo patent lawsuit which prompted EchoStar to change the way their time-shifting software works.
Interesting, I wonder about the timing of when this started, as I got my 722 just over a month ago and it has always acted like that. My 625 never had that problem.

but would you agree its gotten better? not as good as it was *before* the suit but certainly better after settlement? ... otherwise I've not been working it hard enough.. :)

The first time I skip back it appears to work properly, if I do 2-3 or more skip backs in rapid succession, it'll jump back 2 minutes or more, on stored recordings sometimes all the way back to the beginning. That has been my experience.

What would also be nice is making the skip forward/back times user adjustable.

user adjustable? what.. you expect these things to actually work FOR the user?? :D

I often wonder how dish got to be where they are ... and of course the main cause of problems like this is that Echostar is making the hardware instead of making a modularized system that *any* company can incorporate into a box of someone else's design...

and rest assured that much of what you're seeing with the 722 also happens in the 722k ... its funny.. I bitched that a problem that is addressed in ONE receiver's firmware should be listed, tested for, and corrected in ALL receivers firmware (ie. does a 211k w/ehd have this same bug?...) and was criticized because that's not how things work.. and to think that the 722k probably got much of its base code from the 722 ... is the exact thing I'm saying should be done for bug fixes.. but I guess once they fork for the new machine and updated chips, etc.. they should just be given a "hall pass" on the same core bug being in all.... lol.

Have had no such problem with either 722 or 722K.
Doing pause .... step forward a few times... step backwards a few times... then hitting play? Its been much less problematic for me on the 722k from the first firmware after the Tivo lawsuit ended, but it was no were like as solid as my 625's were ... another key that resonated because I upgraded from 625's to 722k's and immediately noticed how much worse the 722k's were at "step forward" than I'd been use to.

In fact the first time I remembered it ... and how pissed I was.. was because at the end of Big Bang Theory, what's his name (Chuck Lorre) ... has flash cards that display a funny story or some such.. and we use to pause all the time with the 625's, then step forward a couple of frames to get to read the card ... took three or four attempts to get it to stop and step forward correctly on the 722's the first time we tried it..

apparently called "Vanity Cards" CLP - Vanity Cards - Big Bang Theory some are pretty funny. (check out 111*) :)

I have also noticed the problem in play mode. Skip back in 10-second increments 2 or 3 times, and you are many minutes behind (2-5).

Try making the last actions after a pause and skip back and before play to be a few skip forwards--2 to 10 as needed--so that it gets a new key frame, possibly. Usually works for me. Otherwise it is hard to home in on a scene without a giant jump.
-Ken

It happens to me too

I have also had those issues with my 722 -- however, only with SD programming. HD programming works fine. Same issue as others: sometimes a "skip back" can bring you back as much as 10-minutes or more. Again, only with SD programming for me.

I have also had those issues with my 722 -- however, only with SD programming. HD programming works fine. Same issue as others: sometimes a "skip back" can bring you back as much as 10-minutes or more. Again, only with SD programming for me.
Perhaps that's why I've never had problems...I rarely watch any SD.

Good catch. That was driving me nuts. As my daughter watches a lot of Boomerang programming that is recorded overnight, that is where we noticed a lot of the issues. Of course there is no Boomerang HD.

Wow! that's quite a bit!,Skip back is only supposed to go back 8 seconds I thought,sounds like you need to reboot!.:eek:

The only issue I have had it seems with L688 FFx4 is too fast compared to FFx4 before with L686 on my 722k.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts