Anyone added DVR service to a VIP211

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark A Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
East Tennessee
Hi,

I am going to add the DVR service to my VIP 211, wanted to know if anyone else has done that here.

I have been looking at external hard drives and am not sure which one will work the best?

The one that dish recommends on their website is the seagate showcase, is this the one to get or would a more reasonably priced one work as good as long as it's spindle speed is 7200 rpm?

:confused:

Thanks

Western Digital works fine Just dont get the special Dish Network edition because it costs 30 bucks more

I am using a Calvary 500gb drive on one 211 and a WD My Book 1tb drive on a 211k. Both are working great.:D

I am using a Calvary 500gb drive on one 211 and a WD My Book 1tb drive on a 211k. Both are working great.:D

On your 211, using the Calvary 500gb can you swap it out when it gets full for say another Calvary 500gb and still be able to view what is saved on the first one?

I have read that this can not be done on some receivers that it will re-format the drive each time it is connected to the receiver.

I'm using a 1 TB WD My Books Essential on my 211. Been working flawlessly since March. The DVR functions are identical to my 622 except that I only have the 1 sat. tuner. Installation could not be simpler! But I suggest you use Tech Service to help you activate it. When I called the 800 number that showed on the screen the CSR I got was clueless and managed to screw-up my account.

It is my understanding that when this unit is full I can use the "Remove External Drive" function (or whatever it is called) to disconnect it then connect another empty drive and that will reformat that one to the Dish system then I'll be good to go for more recording. I am not aware that a drive once already formatted for the 211 will reformat each time it is swapped, but that will be something really worth knowing before I disconnect the first one !!! Can anyone confirm that? I do know that these drives are formatted for PCs out of the box and once connected to the 211 and reformatted you lose all PC functionality on that drive until you reformat it for a PC at which time you lose all the Dish programming on it. I also know that you can't swap between a 211 and a 622/722. The EHD functions are different and a unit formatted for a 211 will lose all its programming if you reformat it for a 622/722 and vv.

I'll bet there is a EPG update involved as well each time I make a swap which takes several minutes. (The 211 alone only stores a 3-day guide but when you connect the EHD it D/Ls a 9-day guide, and each time you "toggle" between the 2 modes the guide will update (?) Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

I'm using a 1 TB WD My Books Essential on my 211. Been working flawlessly since March.

Did your My Books Essential by Western Digital have the WD Smartware on it, I have read where this has given computer users a problem just wondering if it affects use as a DVR EHD?

Installation could not be simpler! But I suggest you use Tech Service to help you activate it. When I called the 800 number that showed on the screen the CSR I got was clueless and managed to screw-up my account.

Do you mean to use Dish Networks Tech Service?

Thanks,

It's easy to swap between multiple drives. I just go to the remove dvr menu and switch the cable during the 20 second countdown to reboot.

Once the receiver reboots you can either let the guide download again or just cancel if you only plan to watch something that was recorded earlier.

Once your drive has been formatted by the receive you are good to go. It will not reformat each time you swap them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts