Anyone doing any FTA work/projects this weekend?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
no projects this weekend...too damn hot out to deal with anything (and I drove for 6 hours already today so I'm not doing anything but watch wrestling and the CFL game :D

Hakkamike said:
Thats not a vent pipe, its decated for the dish anyways here is one more pict, man let me drink a beer, I dont know if I can do the tv thing on the roof tonight....

That sucker looks pretty high on the elevation? You in Mexico or something? ;)

Outside for 9 hours

This morning I went to my local satellite store and got somewhere arround 20 or so dish's.

I got out this morning at 10:00am on my front lawn and had to individualy mount and position all of the dish's, I managed to come back in for dinner at 6:00pm which means I was outside for 9 hours setting up all of these dish's I only ran in to 3 problems along the way, 1) the heat was insane, 2)I cracked 5 LNB heads in the process, and 3) I installed 4 of the dish's off the end of the dock (the only place they can get the signal) and they loosened them self's and fell in the water :/.

Overall, A good day. Now I get to do it all again next Wednesday. I do this every week, you think I would be used to it by now. :hatsoff:

I am envious of you all! I don't have anything to tinker with tomorrow :-(

20 dishes? WOW! LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!

ksmithtwn said:
This morning I went to my local satellite store and got somewhere arround 20 or so dish's.

I got out this morning at 10:00am on my front lawn and had to individualy mount and position all of the dish's, I managed to come back in for dinner at 6:00pm which means I was outside for 9 hours setting up all of these dish's I only ran in to 3 problems along the way, 1) the heat was insane, 2)I cracked 5 LNB heads in the process, and 3) I installed 4 of the dish's off the end of the dock (the only place they can get the signal) and they loosened them self's and fell in the water :/.

Overall, A good day. Now I get to do it all again next Wednesday. I do this every week, you think I would be used to it by now. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
cablewithaview said:
I am here to encourage, I have set mine up after dark several times. so I guess I could say, there is plenty of darkness as well. :)
I cannot stress enough the advantages of dish work after dark. Especially true on a moonlit night, and I think we're due for a full moon soon! :D

-Heat is not unbearable (although humidity may still be high at night)
-No glare, so its easy to see the portable TV/monitor you have with you for aiming
-Moonlit nights and city background light give you some light to work with
-Great view of the stars, even the occasional non-geosynchronous satellite whizzes by!
-Neighbors become scared of you when they think you are insane and keep their distance.

Last edited:
I would have to argree! When I was setting up the dish for the first time, I had been trying for many days....I finally decided to try once again, and it was 915 on a Sunday night in March or April. Kinda chilly, but I got a sattellite within 5 minutes :)

Tron said:
I cannot stress enough the advantages of dish work after dark. Especially true on a moonlit night, and I think we're due for a full moon soon! :D

-Heat is not unbearable (although humidity may still be high at night)
-No glare, so its easy to see the portable TV/monitor you have with you for aiming
-Moonlit nights and city background light give you some light to work with
-Great view of the stars, even the occasional non-geosynchronous satellite whizzes by!
-Neighbors become scared of you when they think you are insane and keep their distance.

Well I locked in on T5 and we are getting 80% with the new dish, with the old one the best I could do it around 68%, G10R also jumped up from the best I used to get was in the 40s to the mid 50s to the high 60s on this new one. All in all I think this new dish is a big improvement :up

:up good deal, I have IA5 and G10R set up here as well and enjoy my set up. actually I'm still using old Primestar dishes and they seem to do pretty well. I found a c band dish, now I gotta go take it down and put it up here.

My project for this weekend is complete:up I May still need to tweak it a tiny bit more but not today, as a matter of fact I may wait until this fall lol lol

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 110
Hakkamike said:
My project for this weekend is complete:up I May still need to tweak it a tiny bit more but not today, as a matter of fact I may wait until this fall lol lol

I'm not trying to get back you on the roof but I'd highly recommend turning your diseqc switch 90 degrees. With the coax connection straight up and down you are just asking for the water to whick right down into the coax connection.

It is HOT GUYS, thanks for the tip on the diseqc switch, I will get up there and make the 90% turn on it, TOMORROW :D

dielectric grease goes along way, regardless of it's crimped, twist on (do not recommend) or compress fittings.

BTW, nice set up and job. :up

Last edited by a moderator:
iafirebuff said:
I am envious of you all! I don't have anything to tinker with tomorrow :-(

20 dishes? WOW! LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you might this having 20 dishes is lucky, but the fact that is were having a nasty summer heat here (30*C +), and its absolutly brutal, think about that fact that I also have to individualy set up and allign the dishes, about 4 of them were on the same satellite, but the others are for pulling in feeds and such.

I try once and a while to work in the night, but there are just to many bugs and I usualy allign the rest of the dishes and then when I get the last one done, I will litteraly trip over the others and ruin my config. Considering im in the country and on the water you could easily mistaken my front lawn for a satellite uplink center. By passing tourists on the water enjoy taking pictures of my lawn:rolleyes: .

Once getting back in that night I was tottaly red:( .

Im still looking foward to going back on Wednesday and picking up a truck load of dishes and reciviers, and one recomend anything? I littleraly got access to anything Satellite so if there is something I should get, let me know :) .

KS:hatsoff:

ksmithtwn said:
Yeah, you might this having 20 dishes is lucky, but the fact that is were having a nasty summer heat here (30*C +), and its absolutly brutal, think about that fact that I also have to individualy set up and allign the dishes, about 4 of them were on the same satellite, but the others are for pulling in feeds and such.

I try once and a while to work in the night, but there are just to many bugs and I usualy allign the rest of the dishes and then when I get the last one done, I will litteraly trip over the others and ruin my config. Considering im in the country and on the water you could easily mistaken my front lawn for a satellite uplink center. By passing tourists on the water enjoy taking pictures of my lawn:rolleyes: .

Once getting back in that night I was tottaly red:( .

Im still looking foward to going back on Wednesday and picking up a truck load of dishes and reciviers, and one recomend anything? I littleraly got access to anything Satellite so if there is something I should get, let me know :) .

KS:hatsoff:

Why 4 on the same satellite? They sell switches, etc to prevent you from putting 4 on the bird.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)