Anyone downgrade their subscriptions and gone to NETFLIX for the movies?

This is done, I just downgraded from Top 200 to Top 120.
I just went from Top 250 to Latino Dos, but kept Platinum (250 to Dos is a $25 drop), get the good stuff and remove lots of the fluff. I'll miss Science and TCM (ESPNs as well), but that's about it. I got Netflix to help with the drop in older movie content. Save about $15, including having Netflix from the Top 250 price. I'd drop Platinum, but Sony Movie Channel has done some particularly great jobs in remastering older films. It is impressive how great some of their films look. Retro and Epix, as well, make keeping Platinum good and you get Palladia which has good stuff... I just wish I liked Journey, so that three hour show would actually be cool. :D

Netflix is great, though I ponder whether it'd get old after a while. They have a decent concert collection (decent as in 2 of 4 stars value). They'll need to continue adding streaming options, both new and old for me to want to continue to pay for it, but right now, really nice.

MOST (Streaming) content in not in HD at this time but they do say this will change....SOON.

What exactly do you mean most streaming content is not in HD? Overall or from those two offerings?
I have had netflix for sometime now, and there is a considerable amount of HD that I have seen available.

What exactly do you mean most streaming content is not in HD? Overall or from those two offerings?
I have had netflix for sometime now, and there is a considerable amount of HD that I have seen available.

This simply may come down to taste in entertainment but I have to SEARCH for HD content that is streamable. Their streaming library is VERY small especially compared to what is available on disk.

I have the Starz free for the next year and then I'll drop it cause everything on it is on Netflix. I guess my question is what does everyone use to stream it with? I use my Wii now but plan on getting a Ruko device. I got my mom one the other day and it took me damn near an hour to get it set up cause I had to keep resetting the sucker after each setting I changed for the wireless to stay connected. I'm curious as to the other simple options there are for streaming that don't include getting a new TV.

My only complaint about Netflix is that they don't have more titles. Just having all titles in a series would be nice such as Lord of The rings Fellowship is playing but I can't watch the last damn two unless I select the disks!!! :rant:

This simply may come down to taste in entertainment but I have to SEARCH for HD content that is streamable. Their streaming library is VERY small especially compared to what is available on disk.

That I agree with. Most of what I watch with streaming of late has been tv shows that I missed or just didnt have time to catch when they aired. Most of them are in HD.

When it comes to movies, unless it is spur of the moment, I use the disc option, or VUDU.

I have the Starz free for the next year and then I'll drop it cause everything on it is on Netflix. I guess my question is what does everyone use to stream it with? I use my Wii now but plan on getting a Ruko device. I got my mom one the other day and it took me damn near an hour to get it set up cause I had to keep resetting the sucker after each setting I changed for the wireless to stay connected. I'm curious as to the other simple options there are for streaming that don't include getting a new TV.

My only complaint about Netflix is that they don't have more titles. Just having all titles in a series would be nice such as Lord of The rings Fellowship is playing but I can't watch the last damn two unless I select the disks!!! :rant:

I use the PS3 and the Xbox to stream netflix.
For Vudu, I generally use the Vudu stand alone box, sometimes the ps3.

Anyone downgrade their subscriptions and gone to NETFLIX for the movies?
Has anyone any first hand experience with NETFLIX ... good - bad - waste of time?
I downgraded all the way - and upgraded to NETFLIX via Wii, and it's excellent. It also costs less than adding a movie package with a sat. provider. It's much better than it was in the past and I recommend it.

Look like ATT DSL will impose 150gig/month cap starting May 2. This will put a big dent on my plans on streaming more of what I watch.

After the price increase, I downgraded to Welcome Pack with locals (in HD) and got to keep my free Starz for a year, which I'm still getting in HD btw.

I'm using Netflix on a Media Center PC that's connected to my HDTV also.

Only difficulty has been that the picture quality of the standard def versions of channels stinks on the hdtv. But how can I argue about the price?????

OLD PACKAGE: Top 250 with Locals - $69.99

NEW PACKAGE: Welcome pack with Locals: $15.99

SAVINGS: $55 a month

I would have paid for Netflix either way, so no cost differential there.

I had considered going to Dish America so I'd still get HD versions of Food Network, HGTV, etc., but honestly at this point I'm really looking at "cutting the cord" completely by getting my OTA dvr functionality through a rooftop antenna connected to Windows 7 Media Center through TV tuners, and then using Hulu Plus ($7.99) and Netflix.

But for $15.99 plus $6 DVR fee ($21.99 total), I may just stay with Dish instead of going the Media Center Route since I'd only be saving another $14 a month and I'm still getting Starz in HD for a year.

PS -- I am enjoying the fact that I still get the channels that are in monthly preview in HD. So I'm filling up the external hard drive on my DVR with stuff from DIY and Planet Green this month since I know I'll be missing my HD programming and the Discovery channel in general.

Robert

PS -- I am enjoying the fact that I still get the channels that are in monthly preview in HD. So I'm filling up the external hard drive on my DVR with stuff from DIY and Planet Green this month since I know I'll be missing my HD programming and the Discovery channel in general.
rob,

I don't know all the details, but when I recorded programs from free previews and didn't start watching them prior to the channel dropping off my list of available channels, I couldn't start the playback. It may be a fluke, but I got the impression that if you recorded a program and don't watch it before the preview is over, then the receiver wouldn't play it.

It would be good to hear an official answer on this, but I didn't look into it because it wasn't a big deal and I switched since.

To answer the title question.
NO
I canceled Netflix and kept my subscription to Dish.

Sent from my DROIDX

Look like ATT DSL will impose 150gig/month cap starting May 2. This will put a big dent on my plans on streaming more of what I watch.

That's who I just went with. If this is true it really sucks. I have no idea how many Gb's I dnld per month but don't like the idea of having limitations like this. Sure will put a crimp in those w/ Netflix, Roku, & etc.

Last edited:
It's very true and it does suck! :(
How many movies a day do you have to watch to exceed the 150G for DSL or 250G for cable that AT&T is placing on it's users? I really don't have any idea but this LA Times article says at SD it would take more than 6 hours a day of full screen video while 1 HD movie a day would still be below the 150G cap.

Since one of my sons moved home my monthly has been averaging 200G on Suddenlink cable. So far it's still all you can eat but if it changes he's gonna have to get his on internet connection:p

How many movies a day do you have to watch to exceed the 150G for DSL or 250G for cable that AT&T is placing on it's users? I really don't have any idea but this LA Times article says at SD it would take more than 6 hours a day of full screen video while 1 HD movie a day would still be below the 150G cap.

Since one of my sons moved home my monthly has been averaging 200G on Suddenlink cable. So far it's still all you can eat but if it changes he's gonna have to get his on internet connection:p

I have a folder on my PC that has close to 360 Gb w/in it. Not all of it dnld w/in a month but some has also been deleted. Thing is some of it is apps, & software but most of it is video in HD. I just rarely watch SD. I left Suckenlink due to their telling me I was using the net more than average users so I'm not sure that they are that good of a provider.

I have a folder on my PC that has close to 360 Gb w/in it. Not all of it dnld w/in a month but some has also been deleted. Thing is some of it is apps, & software but most of it is video in HD. I just rarely watch SD. I left Suckenlink due to their telling me I was using the net more than average users so I'm not sure that they are that good of a provider.
I got a letter and an email from Suddenlink on the same day telling me I was using more... So I called and the CSR told me they were sending those out because they had found folks who were not subs using subs open networks. I told her we had 3 unemployed/retired adults one of whom is a gamer and downloader of a lot of things, movies included and we all 3 utilize Netflix. I also said I checked terms of service and there are currently no limits. She agreed and stated if all the gigs are coming into my home on my computers there is no problem and to use all the pipe I wanted to.

I'm stuck with them because the other option is Embarq DSL at 6mbps and I have a 15mbps with Suddenlink. I'm sure in the future all ISPs will cap but if it's done like AT&T it won't be too bad. If the folks who only do a little surfing and email actually understood they are subsidizing those of us who really enjoy our connections they would probably get a bit upset.:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts