Anyone else a little bit pi$$ed about the voom/dish thing?

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Let me explain. First off, I have to say I'm very glad someone has picked up the voom channels. However, I feel a little pissed off that they waited until the day before the scheduled shutdown to tell people about it. Especially considering that for the past few weeks they have been telling people to find another provider knowing full well that a lot of people would end up locked in contracts with directv, and some with dish (in which case they would still get the programming, but since they were technically already a customer may or may not be eligible for whatever special offers may come from this).

I'm sure this arrangement was decided on long ago. There were even some people on here who hinted that this would happen and claimed to have inside info, so obviously, it had already happened in the boardroom. Why not let people know with enough warning so they wouldn't end up locked in contracts with other providers? Personally I installed cable with no contracts specifically in case something like this happened, but what about other people?

So yeah, I'm glad about the programming being available somewhere, but I think it's a crappy way they went about letting people know what was going on. I feel sorry for those who signed up with directv and are now locked in contracts. What voom should really do is offer to pay the penalties for those people who want to switch and break their contracts. I know...in a perfect world....but still.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

most of the contracts though if you read the fine print you can get out of as long as you return the equipment your not locked into anything

It's a great way to piss off 46,000+ potienal subscribers, what else can you ask for?? :rolleyes:

Isn't there usually a penalty though? When I had directv I seem to recall that I could have canceled and returned the equipment, but I would still have been charged an early termination fee.

Yes, but that's why I went with cable with $0 down and no commitment. Dish w/VOOM HD is a tempting offer, but I'm still not convinced that I am going to order at this time. I probably would have gone with E* had I known this a few weeks ago.

lostcause said:
Isn't there usually a penalty though? When I had directv I seem to recall that I could have canceled and returned the equipment, but I would still have been charged an early termination fee.

usually not as long as you return the equipment within a certain time from the day you cancel, dont remember what the time frame was though.

lostcause said:
I feel a little pissed off that they waited until the day before the scheduled shutdown to tell people about it.

It's just the big guys with money playing chess with the little guys again....

-scott

Not pissed about it really,I signed up with dtv and yes I miss voom everything sd/hd program guide etc etc but would be same with dish and I will not switch over nor even if tdtv gets voom 21 later on will I subscribe to it Jimmy Dolan can earn money off someone else he has taken enough of mine.

I am happy that Dish Network is going to be able to offer those VoOm customers something. Its better than just leaving them in the dark without willing to help. Dish Network is rescuing the VoOm customers.

Stargazer said:
I am happy that Dish Network is going to be able to offer those VoOm customers something. Its better than just leaving them in the dark without willing to help. Dish Network is rescuing the VoOm customers.

I'm happy about it too although given the recent developments with how much they are going to charge, I wouldn't exactly say they are "rescuing" the voom customers.

What I'm not happy about is the fact that they waited until the very last day to let people know, meanwhile for the past several weeks they have been encouraging people to subscribe to other services. They should have at least announced the possibility and let people know wtf was going on.

It depends on if your a new Dish Network customer or not. If they are giving them a free 942 lease then that would be rescuing them.

Stargazer said:
I am happy that Dish Network is going to be able to offer those VoOm customers something. Its better than just leaving them in the dark without willing to help. Dish Network is rescuing the VooOm customers.

They are not rescuning anyone,when I called dish after I found out about Voom shutdown (I was a former subsciber with them) Asked them if they had any promo's at all for ppl coming from voom and well 2 ppl I talked to since I had been a previous customer in the past no special deals at all not to mention I would have to pay 25.00 just to turn back on what I had in the past they would not even waive that though I left in good standing.

Thats how much Dish Network is doing to gain customers needless to say DTV has my buisness now they gave me 4 rooms free system a 200 dollar rebate which I used for a dvr and 3 months of everything programming.

All I've seen is speculation about the 942. Everything points to a 250.00 up front fee that simply gives you the privilege of renting one. It's not even a purchase!!!

If this is the case, that's not such a good deal. Although if the programming price is right, I would probably consider getting a regular HD box (no dvr) if they offered it for free.

I have always been a Dish HD customer, so this is great news for me. I won't acquire any new Dish equipment until they startup MPEG-4, I don't want to be left with a boat anchor.

mad too

I agree with lostcause. They should have given us a chance to sign on with *E earlier. I just had cable installed yesterday...I'm tired of switching! I will stick with cable at least til mpg4. I sure wish Voom could have gotten their s**t together.

Nayl said:
They are not rescuing anyone,when I called dish after I found out about Voom shutdown (I was a former subscriber with them) Asked them if they had any promos at all for ppl coming from voom and well 2 ppl I talked to since I had been a previous customer in the past no special deals at all not to mention I would have to pay 25.00 just to turn back on what I had in the past they would not even waive that though I left in good standing.

Thats how much Dish Network is doing to gain customers needless to say DTV has my buisness now they gave me 4 rooms free system a 200 dollar rebate which I used for a dvr and 3 months of everything programming.

I totally agree with you. I did the same with E*. I had their service for 3-yrs not so long ago. I was subscribed to their 'America's Everything pack'; I subscribed to their MLB/NBA/NHL packs all the time, in addition to always buying 3-4 PPV movies and 1-2 PPV events (when available) per month; and I was an early adopter of their HD offerings. In other words, I paid them a good $150+ per month for a little more than 3-yrs, on time all the time and a good $600 extra per year for PPV content. If I were they, I'd consider myself a good client.

After learning about Voom's demise, I decided to call E* and inquire about what kind of deals could they offer me to return to them again. Well, zero, NADA. They only offered a standard DVR unit and only if I accepted their 1-yr commitment and I'd still have to pay the $25 reactivation fee. I don't know about you guys, but in my book that's an insult, a slap in the face.

I called TWC, and though they are, as all cable companies, experts in the 'we are going to rip you off' department, they offered me a very good deal, with no strings attached and no starting costs whatsoever for two HD-DVRs and a HD unit.

I'm really happy to read that the Voom channels are going to remain alive, in one form or another, but I'm really looking forward at the prospect of other providers carrying them also. E* does not give a f**k about their customers. As soon as you sign with them, the courtship ends and you better don't even think about leaving them to return later under the idea that they will receive you with arms wide open... it's not going to happen.

Charlie is not going to get any extra money from me... EVER... why? well, apparently he does not wants it and oh well, I'm really happy with not giving it to him then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts