Anyone else feeling jipped by DISH??

wayne231 said:
These guy's are just Direct grumps that just want to bash Dish because that's the kind of people they are. I have almost quit looking at this forum because a lot of the posters just seem to have the adgenda to bash dish at every chance. I wish they would all leave and get cable. It's tiresome to try to learn something and every answer from certain poster's is "Dish is a POS. Get Direct"
And you're visiting the "Anyone else feeling jipped by DISH" thread to learn what useful information? It seems as though this particular thread is well titled and someone couldn't possibly wind up in here while trying to glean information about the Dish 500+, Dish100+, the 118.7 satellite (aka 119) or a myriad of other information packed threads in the DishHD forums. The original poster has a valid concern.

:confused: Personally, I really like DishHD service...if they only provided better PQ for the VOOM channels then I may very well even love it.

Paradox-SJ said:
Seriously? Your cable HD looks better than OTA? Where do you live? As this is the extream excepting to the rule. OTA (and now HD-DVD) is the standard that all HD is compared to as they use the highest bit rates and do not usually down rez the siganl.

Again, to qualify that statement, if I had to say that one looked the best, it would be my cable. With that being said, the difference is so minute that it's almost not worth mentioning, but while switching inputs between Dish, cable, and OTA, cable does seem to edge both Dish and OTA out.

A lot of people like to rally around OTA as being the last word in HD, but I'm not sure that honor is always deserved. I live in Indianapolis which happens to be one of the best OTA markets around, with digital versions of WB, UPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, and a few other local stations, and I just don't see where it looks so much better than cable or satellite, as some people like to shout. Now the OTA looks very good...incredible, in fact, but I still give the very slightest edge to my cable HD. Maybe multicasting has something to do with it.

There's a lot of hallucinatory people here... :D

Isn't anyone (anyone at all) here experiencing intermittent loss-of-signal at roughly 20-minute intervals from Dish off of their 129 sat???

I like the PQ on most of their HD channels, but the loss of signal issue every ~20-minutes is just driving me nuts! :(

long_time_DNC said:
Isn't anyone (anyone at all) here experiencing intermittent loss-of-signal at roughly 20-minute intervals from Dish off of their 129 sat???

I like the PQ on most of their HD channels, but the loss of signal issue every ~20-minutes is just driving me nuts! :(

No... I disconnected 129:(:(

riffjim4069 said:
And you're visiting the "Anyone else feeling jipped by DISH" thread to learn what useful information? It seems as though this particular thread is well titled and someone couldn't possibly wind up in here while trying to glean information about the Dish 500+, Dish100+, the 118.7 satellite (aka 119) or a myriad of other information packed threads in the DishHD forums. The original poster has a valid concern.

:confused: Personally, I really like DishHD service...if they only provided better PQ for the VOOM channels then I may very well even love it.

I happened to visit the thread to see if the guy had a problem that I may assist him with. But, since you only visit threads that bash dish I guess i should have left it to you. Tired of the mouths on this forum so you can tell me goodbye. No more of this BS for me.

If a local station is multi-casting enough other stuff, wouldn't the quality of the main HD signal suffer? So saying that an OTA HD signal is always the "best" may not always be accurate.

Right now I have both Cable HD and Dish HD.

I had some friends over. I showed them the channels and we compared. No one could tell the difference.

LOCALS: I do not have HD Locals on Dish so we could not compare locals. I get them Over the Air with Dish.
comparing OTA and Cable, Locals were the same also.

Last edited:
ScottChez;

I had the same experience. When I had Dish installed a couple of weeks ago I kept my Cable HD to compare for a few days. On the national channels I could not see a difference (720P projector), both looked fantastic. Even the Voom's look good and I know they are being downrezzed.

About a year ago I had a chance to see ESPNHD side by side on my old cable company and D*, the difference was night and day, D* sucked (used same model projector, but at a friends house). Comparing E* side by side it looked the same.

OK guys, lets get something straight here!!!! All HD is not alike. There is HD that is compressed and HD that is not compressed. The difference is obvious on a good system. You cannot avoid the "softer look" of a compressed transmission, such as an older movie being offered on some HD channel. Discovery HD is a good benchmark for some awesome HD. By the way 720 has more information than 1080 by charachteristic, so don't feel bad if your system identifies a signal as 720!

There are units available that will upconvert any source to 1080. The best one out there in my opinion is from NEC. It is OUTSTANDING! Just be careful, you don't want you A/V tuner amp, external devise such as the NEC upconverter, and the TV monitor trying to usonvert everything! Disable a monitor, at the least from this process to keep everything sharp.

So you are right that some HD channels are not so perfect. (Wether DN or DTV) The question is, how big is your TV. (Huge tvs are the eqivalant of looking at a napkin up close, of course you will see all the details) What format are you receiving HD? Composite video is not the cats ass! HDMI is capable of TRUE HD, or DVI (no sound). Do you know that ALL digital converters only modify an existing picture you are viewing?...If there is a section of video with limited motion, only the pixels that are affected show movement? That is how a digital picture is created to save on processor use.

Anyway, therea are so many variables, I could only say if you are using DVI or HDMI on a quality 1080 capable monitor, yes you should be able to se the differance on signals and appreciate the fact that Dish provides it. Compare that to the signal created by a cable HD receiver and thank yourself for what you have.

If you disagree with what I just said, take into consideration that you convert every station as you change the channel. Cable converters deal with significant variances in input signal quality and will probably never have the consistancy of satellite quality. Imagine watching the channels you have given the parameters of the cable company. I'm sorry, you have as good as it gets. What medium you use to interpret the signal is up to your pocketbook and system design.

TommyTDFVC said:
If you disagree with what I just said, take into consideration that you convert every station as you change the channel. Cable converters deal with significant variances in input signal quality and will probably never have the consistancy of satellite quality. Imagine watching the channels you have given the parameters of the cable company. I'm sorry, you have as good as it gets. What medium you use to interpret the signal is up to your pocketbook and system design.

Garbage in-- Garbage out....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)