anyone else get leopard yet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I got a replacement PowerBook G4 from the office, and we had a Leopard install party.

As Scott says, most of the changes seem(!) to be under the covers.

The new Mail.App seems faster, but so far, It seems mostly the same.

(mind you this is on a PPC based LT).
If it hasnt slowed down your computer then its vastly superior to any windows upgrade microsoft has ever released.:D

Has Leopard screwed anyone else's mac up? When i go to restart my Powerbook G4 it restarts to the white apple screen and loads for about15 minutes, then the apple symbol turns into a "do not enter" symbol and just gets stuck here. Ive called apple 2 times and they cant figure it out...

One issue I am having since upgradiing to Leopard is my battery life on my new Mac Book pro has took a major dive.

The battery use to last for over 4 hours, and now on a full charge it does not last for more then an hour. Something seems very wrong with this.

Yes!!!!!!!! Josh from the mac helpline finally helped me. He said that the problem was the "power management" idk how that would affect my startup to desktop but maybe that has something to do with your problem Scott.

Just upgraded my new iMac last night. Had a issue though. Apple released an update this week. If you installed the patch prior to the Leopard upgrade on the new iMacs, you're stuck in a login loop after it's completed. I had to re-install Leopard ( using the Archive/ Install option ) Reboot, take a few more patches, then I was all set.

How do you like the new imac's? I have one of the older ones, with the circular base and I love it, but i was thinking about getting a new imac for my girlfriend for xmas.

How do you like the new imac's? I have one of the older ones, with the circular base and I love it, but i was thinking about getting a new imac for my girlfriend for xmas.

Love it. I went from a G4 mini to a new 24" iMac. Other than the Leopard issue last night, I've had no other issues. I was never one to get a all-in-one system, but the only other choice for me would have been a Mac Pro. To much money for what we use it for. I'm glad I went with the iMac.

I'm not actually all that thrilled with Leopard. It came with my iMac 24" on an upgrade disk. I was excited to install the new OS. Not only did it take forever, but certain iLife '08 apps were broken until I installed an update. iPhoto crashes/freezes when I scroll through certain photo sets (which work just fine on my Powerbook G4). If I wasn't completely annoyed with the idea of re-installing Tiger, I might consider it. I find that for all the hype surrounding Leopard, it not only seems to be a negligible difference in some respects, it breaks the "It-just-works" experience I've come to associate with Apple from my previous computer purchase (which had a mature and stable 10.4 on a Powerbook G4). If you're considering running that update disk, I'd say hold off for a few months until they have a significant upgrade. This cat is beginning to behave like a Microsoft product.

Safari crashed yesterday on Leopard. Frostwire likes to stay open... Like I said, hold off on the upgrade.

I know there are several mac users here, just wondering if anyone else has installed leopard on their machines? so far so good here, I must say that Mac is far ahead of windows at being efficent with computers...I love the ease of use of apple software.

Yep got Leopard a week or so ago. Works really well. Haven't tried boot camp yet, but everything else works good.

Leopard retail box showed up yesterday...going to install it this weekend on my wife's laptop (my ole 2001-era G4 PowerBook won't take the new OS, so that's it for OS 10.5 for our household for now). We did full Retrospect system backups of all our machines this past week, so we're good to go 'just in case' something goes awry. Rule 1: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst--right?

The Safari 3 instability, however, is something I can attest to. Since the recent Tiger system update, you could install it on older OSs and I have to say, I've had more browser app crashes w/ this version of Safari than anything since its first iteration. So, I don't think that's an OS-related issue.

The Safari 3 instability, however, is something I can attest to. Since the recent Tiger system update, you could install it on older OSs and I have to say, I've had more browser app crashes w/ this version of Safari than anything since its first iteration. So, I don't think that's an OS-related issue.

Sorry Roger, you tiger now!

Couldn't resist. :D

if you do a lot of photography and graphics and flash, leopard is a welcomed upgrade. almost everybody i know in the business are using macs - but yeah, windows is still king when you want more compatibility and networking features... but mac is not that bad, if you just know how to do it ^_^

I'm not sure what networking issues the Mac presents...its based on rock-solid Unix and Apple has always had solid workgroup/networking/autoconfiguration software initiatives built into its OSs. Appletalk? Bounjour? Their top-rated Airport WiFi routers (i.e. recent Consumer Reports, PCmag reports)? They've consistently been ahead of the PC curve in terms of reliability and next-gen initiatives (think their early system-wide pushes to Gig-E, WiFi, etc.). I worked in Mac-based computer labs in college that were the hubs of research, collaboration and document creation. The Mac was the preferred platform/host of the first popular mainstream web browsers (Mosaic etc) and streaming technology (Quicktime) and have always been at the forefront of media-rich networked experiences. Because they weren't dumb terminals w/ green phosphor text must mean they were 'toys' to some...to many of us they were always the machines we turned to to 'get stuff done.'

The problem in mixed networks are more often the PCs than the Macs...Windows file-name conventions, idiosyncracies w/ binhex keys, et al make the PCs a pain in the a** while the Macs more often config and work quickly and efficiently. I'm sure you network admins know this better than me--but I've worked in mixed platform environments for almost 2 decades and the Macs are by-and-large the least IT service-intensive machines in the company. Likewise, at home, my Macs are less troublesome than my XP PC in most areas, including networking.

Getting Windows files to Linux to Irix to Mac and visa versa is our mission here every day--and, in the end, its not Apples systems that cause the wrinkles, it's often non-standards based or glitchy software/file formats elsewhere in the works.

I look forward to putting Leopard through its paces over the next week--I'm sure it'll be as solid and trouble-free an upgrade as all the other OS releases have been (well, o.k., I had an issue w/ Panther and some old drivers on its initial release, but that was one bad experience in almost 20 yrs of Mac work).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)