Anyone else get Windows 8?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I installed W8 pro on my home laptop and so far am very pleased. Still learning the ins and outs, but so far so good.

I haven't yet I am going to wait awhile to see how it goes before doing and they get the bugs out :) Thanks for sharing and keep us up to date on how it is working :)

I haven't yet I am going to wait awhile to see how it goes before doing and they get the bugs out :) Thanks for sharing and keep us up to date on how it is working :)
Will do. I have noticed one bug, that I can only assume has to do with the upgrade. Depending on where my pointer is when typing and sometimes even if it it not in the typing box, the cursor will jump to odd points on the screen, making typing a pain. Going to have to research that. I have noticed it doing it on facebook, and a time or two on a couple of forums. Moving the pointer out of the type box seems to help here.

This is the first version of windows that I did not rush to install on the first day. I am still conflicted, I will probably end up buying some of the cheap upgrade license keys and just sit on them for a while.

I wasn't going to upgrade, but I encountered a video driver problem whose only reported solution was a clean install of windows 7. Decided to roll the dice on windows 8 upgrade solving it equally as well (thereby avoiding the tedious program reinstallation process). And fortunately it worked. Still adjusting to the lack of a start menu, but not drastically different once you get past the tile screen.

I wasn't going to upgrade, but I encountered a video driver problem whose only reported solution was a clean install of windows 7. Decided to roll the dice on windows 8 upgrade solving it equally as well (thereby avoiding the tedious program reinstallation process). And fortunately it worked. Still adjusting to the lack of a start menu, but not drastically different once you get past the tile screen.
Google "start 8". I got it for five bucks, and in desktop mode, it is basically like what you are used to previously. Best of both worlds.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

I played with it earlier today while I was at Costco, but I have no plans to install it on my Windows 7 laptop that I use on a daily basis. However, I will probably install on a spare laptop over the holidays...just not a top priority.

dodger72 said:
When you install windows 8 do you have to reinstall programs also does it have accessibility features

I had to reinstall six programs. But the install setup told me I'd need to do that beforehand. A couple of my programs were incompatible (but updated versions would work if I wanted to pay for the software upgrade- only reason I had those, i barely use them, was because I got them for pennies, so no real loss in my decision not to upgrade).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was pretty pissed with it, the whole layout is clunky and requires more button pushing than it should. I mean its tablet software IMO. I fixed it with a download of start8 for $5, and am now happy. I boot to the desktop and have the good ol start menu now.

It def seems snappier.

I am pondering downloading it. 40 bucks isn't too bad.

What I plan on doing, is purchasing it regardless. Right now, the introductory price, along with the free media center upgrade is too good to pass up. You can always sit on the license if it doesn't suit your needs right now.

What I plan on doing, is purchasing it regardless. Right now, the introductory price, along with the free media center upgrade is too good to pass up. You can always sit on the license if it doesn't suit your needs right now.

This is why I want to do it, if I don't like it for sure, I will just sit on it, until I am ready to make the full switch.

This is why I want to do it, if I don't like it for sure, I will just sit on it, until I am ready to make the full switch.

Exactly. The fact is, they aren't going backwards. Windows 8 is the new Windows OS, and 7 will eventually be phased out. Why not get it while it's cheap, then when you have to install it, you already have it? I plan on buying it next payday. Honestly, I kind of like the new interface. It may be because I've had an Xbox for years, and my wife has had a Windows Phone 7 for a year an a half. I'm used to the live tile setup. It really is kind of nice when you get used to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)