anyone else having weird behavior of their hopper?

jhaan79

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Pontiac, IL
Have a couple things that never used to be an issue but now are. Wondering if anyone else is getting this too

-you can set up a manual timer but when you click 'create' there is not a timer created

-say you are recording a 3 hour program and you catch it at a commercial and stop the recording (to break up 1 long program into a couple short ones). When you try and record that channel it says it is recording but it is not actually recording i.e. no red light on the hopper and nothing in your dvr

Hopefully I explained it decent for you guys and girls to understand what I am seeing on my end. Any insight would be appreciated!

Software Version: S431

I just created a manual timer for my ota Fox station set to go off in 5 minutes from now and it shows in my timer list. I'll see if it records and write back if it does.

Have a couple things that never used to be an issue but now are. Wondering if anyone else is getting this too -say you are recording a 3 hour program and you catch it at a commercial and stop the recording (to break up 1 long program into a couple short ones). When you try and record that channel it says it is recording but it is not actually recording i.e. no red light on the hopper and nothing in your dvr
Yes, the Hopper doesn't seem to like having active recordings be stopped and later resumed by instant recording. After being frustrated and feeling helpless due to this, I came up with a workaround. You need to locate the Timer Event giving you trouble and delete it (either from the Daily Schedule with Edit Timer or scrolling through the Timers from the DVR menu). In some cases, (depending on how many attempts you made to instant record) you may have several instances of the same timer which will need to be deleted. Once deleted, the red dot in the Guide will disappear along with the timer. It is likely a red dot for the event will still be in the Daily Schedule but just ignore it. Be aware that on occasion, deleting Timer Events has caused the Hopper to unexpectedly reboot. However this has to be performed if you are to resume your recording. Try to instant record again and it should now record. What is happening is the timer is actually active even though it's not resulting in a recording. This is proven by the fact that if you did reboot without deleting the timer, as soon as the Hopper is back online, it will instantly begin recording. If a recurring timer had to be deleted, don't forget to recreate it again after recording is finished so you'll have it for next time. I run into this all the time. One reason this happens to me is every Saturday evening, I record FOX's Animation Domination High-Definition programming block and rather than save the entire hour, I prefer to split it into the individual 12-minute shows. Since I'm starting and stopping recording, I encounter this issue a lot.

Last edited:
I don't have a Hopper (yet!) but I've seen the same behavior on my 508 and 722, so it's not just a Hopper issue. I'll have to try your solution to delete the timer to allow it to record again.

Yes, the Hopper doesn't seem to like having active recordings be stopped and later resumed by instant recording. After being frustrated and feeling helpless due to this, I came up with a workaround. You need to locate the Timer Event giving you trouble and delete it (either from the Daily Schedule with Edit Timer or scrolling through the Timers from the DVR menu). In some cases, (depending on how many attempts you made to instant record) you may have several instances of the same timer which will need to be deleted. Once deleted, the red dot in the Guide will disappear along with the timer. It is likely a red dot for the event will still be in the Daily Schedule but just ignore it. Be aware that on occasion, deleting Timer Events has caused the Hopper to unexpectedly reboot. However this has to be performed if you are to resume your recording. Try to instant record again and it should now record. What is happening is the timer is actually active even though it's not resulting in a recording. This is proven by the fact that if you did reboot without deleting the timer, as soon as the Hopper is back online, it will instantly begin recording. If a recurring timer had to be deleted, don't forget to recreate it again after recording is finished so you'll have it for next time. I run into this all the time. One reason this happens to me is every Saturday evening, I record FOX's Animation Domination High-Definition programming block and rather than save the entire hour, I prefer to split it into the individual 12-minute shows. Since I'm starting and stopping recording, I encounter this issue a lot.

+1. It has been a huge PITA a few times for me. A HUGE amount of wasted time and interrupted recordings on other channels because of the reboot PITA! PLEASE Dish. FIX THIS!!!!!!!!

Not anywhere near your problem but lately it seems when I delete a timer, it doesn't vanish from my Daily Schedule list until I back completely out.

Sound drop outs usually during WWE Smackdown/RAW from Hopper #2 played on Hopper #1 (could be an issue with the MoCA network)

Here is an odd one with Hopper #1, last night my dog stepped on my remote control and turned on PIP. I tried to turn off PIP but the remote wouldn't respond. The recording I was playing did not freeze, it continued playing with the closed captioning. I figured my dog unlinked my remote from my Hopper some how so I eventually got up and started pushing buttons on my Hopper and none of them responded. I then went out to check to see if the Joey connected to my Hopper would respond and it did, pulled up the tuners and the screen read 2 of 3 was available and playing live TV. After making sure nothing was recording I came in pushed the red button, and reset my Hopper and once it started up the remote started functioning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts