Anyone enlarged their BUD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The beauty of the written word. :) Absolutely clear to the author, but somewhat like mud to the reader.

Yes, I absolutely understand that if the LNBF is adjusted to the calculated FD point, that the entire assembly would need to be raised in order to place the calculated focal point in the proper place in the feed horn of the LNBF. I made the assumption that it went without saying at this level. Then again, could very well lead someone new to things down the wrong path, not by intent though.

Will review the link you posted. Thanks.

Setting the F/D ratio higher than what's calculated, Has on a few occasions, Been beneficial. Has made reception work on a couple of under sized dishes. (think one, or maybe both, were on this site)
One rememberable one was a fixed 5ft. All TP's on the satellite were good quality, except one. Yup, the desired one. After quite a bit of investigating, a possible adjacent satellite TP that could cause problems was found. (can't remember if it was at 2 or 4 degrees)
Suggested they set the F/D higher than calculated, up to .05 (or so IIRR) higher, Next post was a 'thank you, got it'.
Anyway, Higher than calculated F/D setting under illuminates the dish, reducing gain some, but at the same time it shifts the sidelobes away from the interfering satellite. It will also reduce T.I. coming in from around the perimeter of the dish.

BITD, we set quite few .05(?) higher than calculated to combat T.I. from those 4 Ghz telephone relaysI. (which are now all gone around here, elsewhere? IDK.)
So as a rule, treat the calculated F/D as a 'nominal' and incorporate the above as necessary. YMMV.
(Wouldn't it be nice to have a spectrum analyser for this?)
If this technique is used by some 6ft BUD operators, IDK.

NEVER set the F/D lower than calculated.
The feed then sees too much around the edge of the dish so the T.I. problem is exaggerated and gain is lowered substantially.
Happy 'bird/feed' hunting

Reactions: KE4EST
just an update. I gave up on my enlargement project since I followed the f/d ratio exactly with my new sections it really didn't enlarge my dish enough. so the small amount of gain increase say 1db wasn't big enough for all the added drilling and shaping of panels. I found that following the f/d ratio exactly (0.35 to 0.35) only increased my 10 foot dish to 11 feet at the most. So I just figured it would be simpler to find a ready made 12 foot dish. it also could be I couldn't get my head fully wrapped around what exactly needs to be done to increase the size of dish :) after I just simply bolted on my existing panels and followed the original shape it turned out like the pic below called "incorrect". then once I used the parabola calculator program I see it should have turned out like the pic called "correct". You can see in the pic called "correct" following the parabolic formula really doesn't add much diameter to the dish so it wasn't worth the extra effort for me. I hope the pics illustrate things better.

Attachments

• correct.jpg
    correct.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 139
  • incorrect.jpg
    incorrect.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 147
Fat Air, thanks for the feed back.

Beavs2112, I haven't decided to do it. Did set up a spreadsheet to calculate the curve distances (y) from zero on the x line and have it also calculating for the curve section to be added. Kind of thinking like you, just watch for a ten footer. Thinking right now of possibly building a 4 or 5 footer prime focus for Ku. Don't know how well it would do. but think it would be fun and give some training/insight for an extension project later.

If anyone wants the spreadsheet, I will gladly upload it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)