Anyone ever "move" then upgrade to HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

the_e_male

Original poster
May 5, 2008
My situation: 3 years ago, I moved (literally) to a city which doesn't get its local channels through the dish, and won't be any time soon. As far as D* knows, my service stayed behind. My new house is still within the old address' spot beam, so I've got the local networks from there, and it's been fine.

Now, I finally want to upgrade to HD. I'll have to get the new 5-LNB dish, and will probably need it professionally installed (let's assume I will). Will this throw a wrench into my setup? I don't want to lose the networks I get now, since getting my true locals OTA is not a good option (I have a second DVR, non-HD, that I also want to keep and use). There's no chance of getting a waiver from the affiliates here.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Did I explain it clearly? Essentially, I want to keep everything I've got now, just add the HD hardware and get the HD package.

NOTE: I know this is against the TOS. I'm willing to accept that risk, and have been doing so for 3 years.

Call D* and move to your current address, get everything installed, and then call them back in a week or so and "move" back to your old address. I am having to do the same thing fairly soon to get my slimline dish installed. Also make sure you speak to the retention department to get the best deal if you are going to get an HD/DVR or if you would like a programming discount of some sort.

Should be fairly easy to do, if not slightly inconvenient. Just change your service address to where you are now, then after its installed, swap it back (as another poster said). You could wait a week, or not, dont think it will make much difference

Thanks for the advice. I've set up the move, and have an install scheduled for Friday. We'll see how the next "move" goes.

Thanks for the advice. I've set up the move, and have an install scheduled for Friday. We'll see how the next "move" goes.

It will be fine. Just make sure when you call them to "move" again that you already have the dish setup and that you do not need anyone to come out for installation.

Update: The install for Friday was canceled, but they came Monday. They installed the new dish and activated the new box (HR-21), all without ever mentioning the old locals I've been getting. When he noticed my old dish, the tech just said "I thought this was a movers..." and then went about his business.

With the new box activated, I still have my old local networks (which is fine). But can I expect to lose them at some point soon, or is it pretty much set?

Also, the D* website shows my recent order as "canceled." The order includes Starz and Showtime free for a few months (an incentive to keep me when I was about to "cancel"). While it may be worth it not to fight, if I call and remind them of my free channels, do I then risk losing my networks?

Thanks for the help and advice so far!

Update: The install for Friday was canceled, but they came Monday. They installed the new dish and activated the new box (HR-21), all without ever mentioning the old locals I've been getting. When he noticed my old dish, the tech just said "I thought this was a movers..." and then went about his business.

With the new box activated, I still have my old local networks (which is fine). But can I expect to lose them at some point soon, or is it pretty much set?

Also, the D* website shows my recent order as "canceled." The order includes Starz and Showtime free for a few months (an incentive to keep me when I was about to "cancel"). While it may be worth it not to fight, if I call and remind them of my free channels, do I then risk losing my networks?

Thanks for the help and advice so far!

Based upon my own past experience it is best to keep your head down and your mouth shut for a while. Don't give them a reason to start looking in to your account/programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)