Anyone found any information on the Dreambox DM8000?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I read Iceberg's review on the Pansat DVR and I couldn't help but think 'wow that thing sounds awesome. If it'd onlt do HD I'd order one today!' FTA Direct mentioned the 7xxx series Dreambox in the thread and I got to poking around the Internet.

As far as I can tell, the 7xxx series doesn't do HD by itself. I think it can capture an HD feed and pipe it over ethernet to another box (Roku / Linkplayer) but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

In poking around I found an Austrailian site that had a model number listed that I hadn't seen before, DM8000. It's mentioned in the disclaimer here:

http://www.dream-multimedia.com.au/warranty.php

It seems that this receiver is vaporware at this point, but it looks interesting according to this link (In German):

http://dream.reichholf.net/index.php/DM8000

Bablefish Translation:
To the DM8000 there is so far only very very few information. Which seems to be certain however is that the box will be able to spend HDTV in all formats (MPEG2, h.264 and wmv9 in each case in 720p and 1080i) to play and/or over DVI. * Dual dual-Tuner * DVI, HDMI & H.264 * Video MPEG2, MPEG4, WM9 everything in HDTV * CCU??? * 128MB RAM * 32MB Flash memory * Mini PCI module * RGB color display * DVD Brenner&Player (slimline) optionally * HDD (optional) * 2x DVB Common interface with EJECT key * 2x Smartcard reader * Multi of layer 3D menu (16 colors milionen)

Another roughly translated quote from a link there:

The DreamBox for HDTV is already firmly in planning and even before a 708x will come. And it will be quasi 8085, thus with DVD RW and two tunern. Promised are also: * All usual HDTV formats * Two CI pits * DVI * The background lighting is blue, white, green, red.... * The appearance: 7000er with angular buttons, here pictures in silver and black. Subject to change!!! The DM8000 is also insgesammt somewhat more largely. * Dual dual-Tuner * DVI, HDMI & H.264 * Video MPEG2, MPEG4, WM9 everything in HDTV * CCU??? * 128MB RAM * 32MB Flash memory * Mini PCI module * RGB color display * DVD Brenner&Player (slimline) optionally * HDD (optional) * 2x DVB Common interface with EJECT key * 2x Smartcard reader * Multi of layer 3D menu (16 colors milionen)

If this box is due out any time soon I expect it will be very popular :).

Iceberg said:
wonder what the cha ching on that one is :)

Better be a lower price. A $120 DVB card on a standard AMD64 PC can be done for cheaper than the 7020 with a lot more power.

Be nice if someone would change out the "flash memory" for a removeable SD type or jump drive type unit. Simple math... cpu NEC MIPS64 for $40ish, 1GB ram for $60, SD/flash/USBjumpdrives 128K for $30. DVB electronics for $120 tops and audio/video stuff another $120 for fairly high end logic. That puts it at $360-400...:hungry:

Now a good SATA drive will set 'em back an extra $120:devil: .

Just some thoughts...

Oh, and thems retail prices...

Last edited:
I'm thinking of giving the roll you own a shot. I have a little Shuttle box that isn't being used right now. I figure add a DVI capable video card and a USB Worldbox and I'd be in business.

If it'll work with MythTV it'd be golden.

I expect a heafty price tag on this DM8000 box if/when it comes to be judging by the going price for the 7020.

Shawn

There are some very nice nVidia cards out there for less than $200 and equally nice soundblaster cards under $100. Roll your own has possibilities especially if you have some "older" gear that can be "improved".

I use the Pansat UHF remote from PAnsat 2500 to my WinTV PVR card. It works great for recording scheduled shows and the the remote has multiple uses and so does the WinTV card. :D

The dreambox is a little pricy for me!

The Dreambox 8000 has been vaporware for at least 3 years. Much talked about but nothing yet, you have to wonder if it ever was in the cards. I have to agree, a DVB-S pci card is the way to go, at least till something comes down the pike that is better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts