Anyone from Milwaukee with 811 & OTA locals?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Anyone out there using the 811 & receiving OTA locals from Milwaukee? If you read my other post, I'm having a problem with a dashing white line all the way across the top of image, between top of image and black bar. I'm getting it on ABC, CBS, NBC(digital channels in 16:9). I'm receiving all 3 of these digital channels with black bars on ALL 4 SIDES of image. I only get black bars on left and right side with PBS digital, WB digital, and UPN digital. Fox is still analog so it's filling whole screen. My question is: Is anyone receiving ABC, CBS & NBC from Milwaukee with black bars on ALL 4 SIDES? Are you also getting the white line on top of image? Please respond either way, I'm trying to figure out this problem. Thanks.

I live out in Brookfield, WI- have an 811 & OTA (all networks except for FOX in digital) and do not have the lines you are talking about (digital 16x9--1080I) either the white ones or dark ones.

No problem here, but a question for you

Are you transmitting the 811 signal to your monitor digitally (DVI) or through an analog (component, S-video or composite) output? I haven't noticed the problem using DVI to a 32" Toshiba HDTV. I'll try to check it through an S-video input and let you know what I find, but it will be next week as I'm out of town this weekend.

My only problem is that I can't get WTMJ to lock very often, but that's probably just because I've been too lazy or busy to tweak my OTA antenna setup. (All I'm using is an ancient antenna in the attic, but everything but TMJ locks easily.) (Well everything but WITI, I mean. I assume they're still using a 9v battery powered transmitter and I've given up on them, not that there's anything on Fox or WITI I'd ever be interested in watching except occasionally the Packers.)

Forward

I'm running component video from 811 to my Mits. widescreen TV, it doesn't have DVI input. When you watch the 10:00 news on NBC, ABC or CBS do you have black bars on all 4 sides like I do? Do you have it hooked up to a 16:9 TV or a 4:3? Thanks.

I live in Brookfield, WI and receive all the digital channels including FOX. I have 3 antennas with an A - B- C swith to get all of the channels. I have a Toshiba 16 x 9 HDTV and do not see the black bars on the top or bottom with this TV. I also use the S-Video out to a channel 3 modulator which feeds other TV's in the house. When watching the HD signal on one of the other TV's I have black bars on all 4 sides if SD and top and bottom if HD widescreen. I also see the white line on the top black bar on the other TV's.

Hope this helps.

Sheboygan... antenna?

I live up in Sheboygan, right between Milwaukee and Green Bay. With a regular antenna I can get channels from each city. What would be my best option for getting OTA HD channels? What would be the cheapest option?

Thanks!
Neil

Superjfly said:
I live up in Sheboygan, right between Milwaukee and Green Bay. With a regular antenna I can get channels from each city. What would be my best option for getting OTA HD channels? What would be the cheapest option?

Neil
That's a pretty general question since you don't specify what you presently have. If starting from scratch, I would get an 811 from Dish at the $149 if still available and you are a current Dish customer. I would try with the current antenna setup to see what you can receiver. If necessary, you might need to get a higher gain UHF antenna. If any of the channels from either city are in the VHF range you would need a universal antenna. Luckily there are no major terrain problems so that would not be a problem.
When I lived in Sheboygan I had a rotator to turn the antenna for maximum reception.
Of course you would need a HDTV for maximum benefit. The list is endless but I have a Samsung 46 inch DLP which is great. Almost as good as the plasmas.
Have they ever reinstated Bratwurst Day?
Is Herzigers still the best bratwurst in town.
I have many fond memories of that town.

Sorry about that. I should be receiving an 811 tomorrow that I purchased off Ebay. It is new, and I am not sure if an antenna comes with it. Even if it does, if that will work from my location. Does a regular antenna pull in HD signal?

I am replacing a 301, will I be able to use the same access card or will DISH need to send me a different one? Any other issues I might encounter setting this up?

I'm hooking this up to a 57" Toshiba HD that I purchased a few months ago.

Thanks,
Neil

Darn I posted then hit the wrong button. Will try again.
You will not need to worry about the smart card. It is built into the 811. You can't move one from another receiver anyway.
Most OTA HD is UHF so if your current antenna is only VHF you will need to get another one. Check antennaweb.org for what you should try.
Once installed you will need to call Dish to activate it and add programming, like the HD package if you desire to do so. I think it is almost worth it. Discovery Channel and HD Net are good showcases for what HD can look like.
Once installed and you have called Dish, wait for the 811 to accept the latest download. Connect your current antenna and go to menu 6-1-5 and you will find the place to scan for or add OTA channels. If a scan brings up nothing, you will probably need a different antenna.

I live by Southridge Mall......I have a Hitachi 50v500 LCD RP HDTV hooked up with the Dish 811 receiver. I have a Winegard Square shooter hooked up outside for my OTA signals. I can get all local channels except for WTMJ, UPN and Fox. If I switch to my indoor rabbit ear antenna, WTMJ and UPON come in fine. There are no white lines in any of my channels nor do I have black bars on all 4 sides like you are reporting. I've hooked up the 811 via DVI cable output at 1080i. Eventhough my Hitachi is native 720p, the 1080i signal looks significantly sharper and more life like. Aside from not being able to tune in WTMJ on a regular basis, I really don't have any issues with my 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts