Anyone Got a Dish Pointed at 40.5°W?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Does anyone have a C-band dish pointed at 40.5°W? I'm curious what people can receive, particularly with only a 6' dish, and where their location is. These are all circularly polarized.

Yeah I'm in Virginia and I've got both my systems on that bird and I do get "some" stuff there that I watch often using a linear LNBF. Don't know if a 6 footer will work there though.

Yeah I'm in Virginia and I've got both my systems on that bird and I do get "some" stuff there that I watch often using a linear LNBF. Don't know if a 6 footer will work there though.

You're using a linear LNB? How is that even possible when the signals are circular? What's the diameter of your dish?... 10'?

I really don't want a large dish. I can barely get away with a 6' dish. I want to use the minimum size for just this one single satellite. No motor, just a stationary dish, finely tuned for what I want.

Milton-20131014-00558.jpg
Milton-20131014-00559.jpg
Hi Andrew.
I have placed such information in various occasions; I do have a Fortec 6 ft dish with two LNBs, linear in the central focus (Ku+c)and circular just placed aside of the linear. I receive more than 100 chs, I would say most of the open channels available. Everything is working well here even the Ku band on the dual band LNB. The picture is one year old, I replaced in Fall 2013 the circular with the new Titanium C1 PLL and changed the crappy scalar ring with a new one with more surface around the central ring, which improved the overall reception. The dual band LNB is the BSC-621.

Reactions: Andrew K
Milton-20140710-01026.jpg
Milton-20140710-01028.jpg

I found some more recent pictures (June 2014) with the Titanium C1 PLL on circular mode, the BSC-621 dual band as the linear LNB and a full scalar ring for the circular to better illustrate the existing set up. Hope it helps.

View attachment 101255 View attachment 101256 Hi Andrew.
I have placed such information in various occasions; I do have a Fortec 6 ft dish with two LNBs, linear in the central focus (Ku+c)and circular just placed aside of the linear. I receive more than 100 chs, I would say most of the open channels available. Everything is working well here even the Ku band on the dual band LNB. The picture is one year old, I replaced in Fall 2013 the circular with the new Titanium C1 PLL and changed the crappy scalar ring with a new one with more surface around the central ring, which improved the overall reception. The dual band LNB is the BSC-621.
Thanks for the information... where are you located? Does this mean you're picking up 40.5W with your circular LNB?

If you like this setup, never use the BSC-621 with the internal 22Khz switch, you will be in problems when it fails. I am using an external diseq 4X1 for all my needs;
1 - Circular
1- Ku Linear
1- C Linear
1- Ku linear on fixed 36" dish pointing to Hispasat as I could not reach it with the 6 ft.

yes sir, I am located in soutwestern Ontario, a small town called Milton, 45 minutes from downtown Toronto, 10 minutes form Mississauga.
I was recently south in the caribbean on vacations helping my friend Franco with a 8" Prodelin offset dish and I brought one of my 422 LNBs. We were able to receive about 45 channels ( again, on SES-6) the first day, unfortunately his father got terribly sick and we had to stop all the testing. I may get back next year to keep moving on that project. Please note the SES-6 C band footprint covers the full western hemisphere from Argentina/Chile to Alaska/ New Foundland.

I'm not far from you... Akron, Ohio. I'm considering pointing a 6' dish at 40.5W, but it looks like 55.5W has a lot of unencrypted channels too. Have you tried this bird with your setup? If so, any luck picking up stuff?

Thanks Vondertrenk for the valuable information. I don't think many people in this forum have a 6' dish pointed at the C-band birds that far east and can give me their results. So I appreciate it. But I have a good view facing east, and it looks like the footprints cover my area.

Reactions: Vondertrenk
Converting the Linear LNB to circular is quite easy, just insert the reactangular isolator included wit the LNB inside exactly between the two small metal pins (which are the antennas, one is the V and the other the H) and now you have a circular polarized LNB as can be seen below.
upload_2014-9-11_9-19-38.png

Thanks Vondertrenk for the valuable information. I don't think many people in this forum have a 6' dish pointed at the C-band birds that far east and can give me their results. So I appreciate it. But I have a good view facing east, and it looks like the footprints cover my area.
Where are you located?

So your setup gets linear & circularly polarized? What birds are you pointing your 6' dish at that would require all this? I would be highly interested in learning what you can receive and on which birds. Is investing my money and time in a 6' dish worth it for anything east of 90 degrees west... because I have a good spot to put a dish that isn't obstructed by trees from 30 to 90 degrees west.

So your setup gets linear & circularly polarized? What birds are you pointing your 6' dish at that would require all this? I would be highly interested in learning what you can receive and on which birds. Is investing my money and time in a 6' dish worth it for anything east of 90 degrees west... because I have a good spot to put a dish that isn't obstructed by trees from 30 to 90 degrees west.
I can send you the list from my receiver and you can review it with Ali Editor, please confirm if this is ok

Sure, I have the Ali Editor if you want to send it. That would be great, and I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)