Anyone have luck getting waivers from locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geaux1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
I have all kinds of trouble wihtout having to go up and move my OTA getting NBC and CBS, Fox gave me a waiver. One of my neighbors just went through DTV and they said no. I don;t see why they GAS since I already get their SD from DTV and still will for my other sets for local news. I mean what's the deal, why create such bad will and make it so hard for me to get an HD signal? I live in Memphis, anyone have any luck in general or have suggestions?

I got a waiver no problem in San Diego for the LA NBC station. Its the only owned and operated local here.

What is your zip code?

Memphis HD LIL via DirecTV is supposed to be added this month or so, but if you have Grade-A predicted OTA you can bet you won't get any waivers. If any of your affiliates are O&O then it should be on. BUT the HD LIL will make it a moot point.

WHBQ-TV 13 FOX is O&O

You could always add a remote motorized rotor to your OTA antenna too. AND maybe add an antenna that has a larger beam width (reception area).

Here is the tower info from the zip code I lived in before I left Memphis. The seperation is minimal; 12°. So An antenna like the Channel Master CM4228 should not have to be rotated because it has a beam width of about 15 degrees. The Winegard PR 8800 has a 20 degree and the Antennas Direct DB4 has about a 90 degree.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
What does "O&O" and "HD LIL" mean? I do get the Fox feed from NY, they turned that one on no problem, not sure why. Please explain, thanks. I still don't see why they care since I pay for the digital feed and get that on my other TV's, seems they are just being dickweeds. BTW, I tried the larger antenna, it still did nto work, I have a fire station by my house, guy said that may be it, but I have no clue, that's just speculation on my part. I can never get local Fox, I can get ABC, and I have to climb my but up there but can move it around to get NBC and then CBS, but never both at the same time. If and when I can get local HD from DTV, if my locals are as bad as the PQ on the digital signal which for some reason sucks here in Memphis compared to the other channels, someone explained why to me a while back but I don;t understand it, something to do with Memphsi stations not being willing to split the costs of some direct signal to DTV so they have to pull it off the air and convert it so it loses strength, i'll just keep climbing on the roof. The PQ on my locals is horrid I tell you, and I am not one to complain about PQ because compared to cable around here (time Warener) it's great, but on the locals it's generally horrible.

geaux1 said:
What does "O&O" and "HD LIL" mean? I do get the Fox feed from NY, they turned that one on no problem, not sure why. Please explain, thanks. I still don't see why they care since I pay for the digital feed and get that on my other TV's, seems they are just being dickweeds. BTW, I tried the larger antenna, it still did nto work, I have a fire station by my house, guy said that may be it, but I have no clue, that's just speculation on my part. I can never get local Fox, I can get ABC, and I have to climb my but up there but can move it around to get NBC and then CBS, but never both at the same time. If and when I can get local HD from DTV, if my locals are as bad as the PQ on the digital signal which for some reason sucks here in Memphis compared to the other channels, someone explained why to me a while back but I don;t understand it, something to do with Memphsi stations not being willing to split the costs of some direct signal to DTV so they have to pull it off the air and convert it so it loses strength, i'll just keep climbing on the roof. The PQ on my locals is horrid I tell you, and I am not one to complain about PQ because compared to cable around here (time Warener) it's great, but on the locals it's generally horrible.

O&O means owned and operated, in other words, your local channel is owned by the network. HD LIL means your local channels in HD from Directv, not over the air.

Yes, graduated from LSU in 92, season ticket holder since while still in school sicne I got tired of the "lottery" to get student tickets. Hey, since Fox 13 in Memphis is O&O, DTV hookde up my east coast HD feed only, can I get them to hook up the west coast feed too and what about on the rest of my TV's, I did not even ask when I called, sicne it's a "blanket" waiver from Fox, should it not allow me to get DMAs too or does that only apply to the HD feed? Thanks.

And one more thing, with a name like Nobra, you don't have a connection to the river pilots do you?

nobra81 said:
Yes I'm a nobra pilot on the miss river.

Any luck in getting a wavier from WDSU? You know they will not be broadcasting in HD until something like late 2007. So that means no NBC HD. BTW nobra do happen to live on the Northshore?

I got a house in kenner and i'm originally from columbia,ms. I have some family there so i go up there a lot. Only 100 north of nola. My daughter just enrolled at lsu .

nobra81 said:
I got a house in kenner and i'm originally from columbia,ms. I have some family there so i go up there a lot. Only 100 north of nola. My daughter just enrolled at lsu .

I thought I might know you. I know a river pilot. Do you know of anyone that has got a waiver for WDSU? It as you know the only NBC station in NOLA and it will not be broadcasting in HD for at least until late 2007. I applied for a wavier about a month ago and haven't heard anything. If they can't provide the programming they should grant waviers until they do.

Last edited:
I have service in miss so i don't know about waivers for 6. What your father-law name or pilot #

steve

WDSU Just Denied me.

nobra81 said:
I have service in miss so i don't know about waivers for 6. What your father-law name or pilot #

steve

They can't broadcast in HD yet they can deny you from getting the national feed?

IF you try getting a waiver from Tallahassee, you will be waiting until you die. They are not even broadcasting HD OTA, yet. There excuse is that they will not do it until they are mandated in 2009.

aglen4536 said:
IF you try getting a waiver from Tallahassee, you will be waiting until you die. They are not even broadcasting HD OTA, yet. There excuse is that they will not do it until they are mandated in 2009.

My brother lives in Tallahassee and he was just approved waivers for ABC & CBS, so 50% not bad IMO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)