Anyone have pictures of the Superdish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Here is a really SUPER dish. :D

arecibo.jpg

Perhaps someone will take pictures of the REAL SuperDish that is actually going to come out tomorrow at the electronics show.

Here is the REAL SuperDish, this is complete including the plastic LNB "Shroud" that says HDTV on it. :)

And below that Pic are the Dish Network Tech Guys with another SuperDish this one without the "Shroud"

This pictures were taken TODAY, and are real SuperDishes NOT mockups like you have seen before.

Superdish pictures

Thanks for the pictures. I know this really doesn't mean anything, but I found it ironic that the HDTV graphic is on the shroud over the two LNBs pointed at 119 and 110.

Check that. Now that I think about it, the lonely lnb is probably for 119, with the 110 and 105 behind the larger shroud. But what the heck do I know?

Forward your second guess is probably the correct one! The one I thought was the FSS / KU feed was actually a Dish DBS LNB. :)

My head is so foggy now I am not thinking stright but I do believe your second guess is correct.

I was thinking that these were the two versions of the SuperDish, one being for 110, 119, 121 while the other one is for 105, 110, 119. The reasons I think this is due to the spacing of the lone lnbf being farther away from the other two lnbf's on one dish than the other.

The top picture could be showing the lnbf that says DishPro pointing towards 121 while the one that says HDTV could be the lnbf twin for 110 & 119 while the picture below that one could be the one for 105, 110, 119 seeing that the spacing is farther with the one lnbf from the other two in that the one on the left could be the one for 105. I wonder why the lower picture does not have a twin while the above picture does.

Also I did not think that there would be more spacing for 5 orbital slot degrees (105 & 110) than there is with 9 orbital slot degrees (110 & 119) but then again the signal at that slot is different.

The top one is the 105 dish. The bottom one is the 121 dish.

Spacing between the LNBs will be proportional to the angles between the satellites being viewed....

Real question is if there was any sightings of the DPP4+4 switch? The SuperDish is nice, but having to give up the wing slots is not so nice.

I'm at the point where the wing slot is now obsolete. I will not hesitate to have a SuperDish installed even it if means losing 61.5. All of my HD is now on 105, and the locals of 61.5 are minor enough I never ever watch them.

I agree it does look a liitle wierd. But I guess that is the price you pay for the firt generation of dishes. I bet once the new SES 15 satellite is launched to the 105 slot and the new LNB has to be replaced they will get a LNBF that is all one unit. Correct me if I am wrong but does the new satellite use circular polarity?

rtt2 said:
I agree it does look a liitle wierd. But I guess that is the price you pay for the firt generation of dishes. I bet once the new SES 15 satellite is launched to the 105 slot and the new LNB has to be replaced they will get a LNBF that is all one unit. Correct me if I am wrong but does the new satellite use circular polarity?

Scott clearly stated the bottom one is shown without the shroud. That to me means the shroud is normally there, but they removed it for demo purposes.

Again, the bottom picture shows the 121 version, not the 105 version.

AMC 15 will use circular polarization, but it will still be Ku band, not DBS. So I suspect the design will remain pretty much as is.

It will be interesting to see how Dish converts over the installed base of 105 users from linear to circular polarization LNBFs when the time comes....

Thanks fv3 for the info in AMC 15. Do you remember if AMC 15 is going to 105 or 105.5? If it is going to 105.5 do you think that is why that rod ting is there? Where by they would clamp the new LNB on it so you could pick up the 4 satellites until they migrated the programming off the old satellite AMC 3 at location 105 to the new 105.5. This would make sense with the new 4:4 switch coming out around this time.

I also knew there was a shroud but I still think it looks weird with the extra LNB sticking out:)

rtt2 said:
Thanks fv3 for the info in AMC 15. Do you remember if AMC 15 is going to 105 or 105.5? If it is going to 105.5 do you think that is why that rod ting is there? Where by they would clamp the new LNB on it so you could pick up the 4 satellites until they migrated the programming off the old satellite AMC 3 at location 105 to the new 105.5. This would make sense with the new 4:4 switch coming out around this time.

I also knew there was a shroud but I still think it looks weird with the extra LNB sticking out:)

AMC-15 goes to 105, replacing AMC-2. AMC-14 is supposed to go to 105.5, but last I heard SES still did not have FCC approval to operate service to the US from AMC-14 at 105.5. 105.5 will be Ku-BSS (a.k.a. DBS). Both 105 and 105.5 would be visible through a single small dish (basically just like E*6 and E*8 both appearing to be at 110.) These birds will be at different frequencies...

Curiously, a recent newletter from SES-Americom called the 105.5 bird "AMC-16". http://www.ses-americom.com/bev/a2h_rss.html

AMC-3 is at 87. You meant AMC-2. I don't think SES is going to fully fill AMC-2 (not that they don't want to), so migrating E*'s transponders to AMC-15 will be just as easy as when E* put E*7 in place at 119...

Thanks fv3 I remember hearing something about the 105.5 slot and couldn't recall the specifics. Guess my theory goues out the widow :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)