Anyone Have StarChoice Working In Cleveland

dgantz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Amherst, OH
I am trying to get my StarChoice 60cm dish aimed using the various figures from KuSat and Global-CM. Based on a combination of those figures, according to my SatHawk 3000 I have found Anik F1 at 107. It locks on the horizontal polarity and correctly identifies the SAT as Anik F1. However, when I am looking at the meter on my DSR505, it doesn't see a satellite installed and continually tries to acquire satellite.

Is there anyone in the Cleveland area that has SC successfully set up who would be able to share their tips and tricks with me? Thanks.

If you have ythe 60cm and are standing behind the dish, the left LNB is 111.1 (the 2nd satellite)

Easiest thing to do is go to channel 299 (if box has been in the satellite stream) or 284 if a virgin box and hit options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C. There should be a number in the right corner that shows -3.0 or so. That needs to be a + number
+5 minimum
+7.5 for great signal

It sounds like maybe the dish isnt aimed right and the 111 LNB is looking at 107

Iceberg - I just got the DSR505 from KuSat straight of the box on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure it is a virgin box, although I don't have channel 284. I can go to channel 299 to hit the options menu, and the option 6 for system setup. However, the 0 on the menu is the Go Back option. I went through the system setup menus, and could not find the diagnostic option you are talking about.

I'm pretty sure that I am looking at 107 with the correct side of the LNB. When I get F1, and then cover the left 111 LNB attempting to check that very possibility, my signal does not go away. I probably should start from scratch, just to be sure.

Which Az/Elev/Skew figures should I start with... the ones on KuSat or on Global-CM? If I should start with the Global-CM numbers, should I use the 111 numbers or the 107 numbers to start making adjustments from?

Iceberg - I just got the DSR505 from KuSat straight of the box on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure it is a virgin box, although I don't have channel 284. I can go to channel 299 to hit the options menu, and the option 6 for system setup. However, the 0 on the menu is the Go Back option. I went through the system setup menus, and could not find the diagnostic option you are talking about.
double shoot. I always thought a brand new box was 284 and once you lock onto the satellite for 2 minutes, it goes away and 299 is the only one to get. ANd I forgot the 505 has different menus. The "0" in other boxes is a hidden menu. Hopefully someone can chime in with the correct sequence

I'm pretty sure that I am looking at 107 with the correct side of the LNB. When I get F1, and then cover the left 111 LNB attempting to check that very possibility, my signal does not go away. I probably should start from scratch, just to be sure.
on the top of the LNB, it should say sata & sat B. You want sat A

Which Az/Elev/Skew figures should I start with... the ones on KuSat or on Global-CM? If I should start with the Global-CM numbers, should I use the 111 numbers or the 107 numbers to start making adjustments from?

use Global's. Mike is 99% nuts on with the numbers
http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/SC/point/USAangskew.html

for Cleveland it shows
33 elevation
119 skew
azimuth 220 (so almost straight SW)

I'd set skew for 119 and dont change it

btw: I have installed a 60cm for a guy here in Minneapolis so I iknow that size dish will work just fine

Well, I went back to the beginning, using Global's numbers as a start. According to my meter, I wound up with Anik F1 on the SAT A side of the LNBF at Az 228/El 28/Skew 119. Once I locked F1 on my meter, I covered the SAT A and SAT B sides one at a time to make sure that it was the SAT A side locking the signal.

When I looked at my 505, under the system Status Screen, I had:
L - Signal Power 75
M - Polarization Right/Vert
Q - EMM Providers 1020, 187
R - EMM Provider N/A
S - EMM Stream No

Under the install setup screen, I had A4 as the satellite ID but no value for Provider ID, and no number for the strength level. When I put 4128 in as the value for Provider ID, that field turns from red to green, but I still don't see a number for strength level.

What else could I be missing?

Make sure that channel 354 is working. If not, you are definitely not on 107/F1R.
354 is Knowledge Network from B.C., and will work without a subscription provided that your 505 has been properly aligned on F1R long enough to map
the F1R channels into memory.

The conundrum you will have with a new receiver is that F2 channels will NOT be
mapped until after Star Choice activates your receiver. After than, Ch 260 will
work whether or not subscription is turned on for other F2 channels.

Another reason against trying to align a dish and activate a receiver at the same time. Receivers should be set up first on an antenna already known to be properly aligned on F1R and F2 satellites.

So, at what point in the process do I need to get the receiver rehit from SC? The receiver doesn't need to be authorized to tell me it recognizes F1, does it? Also, is it normal for the 505 for its date/time to always be Thursday, January 1st at 2:32 PM until the receiver sees the F1 signal and is authorized?

Last edited:
Thanks to all above for the assistance. My issue is that my Sathawk meter was just a bit off on recognizing Anik F1. Relying on the receiver itself and mikekohl's dead on numbers, I sighted in F1 last night with no issues. Thanks again to all.

I second Iceberg on HNIC. I actually had the CBC Windsor station on my cable system growing up and got to watch my fair share of HNIC (as well ad curling and some CFL).

we had CBC Toronto on our cable system when I was growing up.

Over the weekend I went to my uncles and there is a town about 20 miles away that has a small OTA "cable" system and one fo the channels was CBC North :eek:
CBC North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some US communities offer CBC North on cable or low-powered TV; in Alexandria, Minnesota, for example, a local TV association offers CBC North on one of their LPTV channels

so it was fun to see the CBC on OTA of all places

CBC in Windsor...

When I saw the call letters CKLW it brought back memories of the only radio station we listened to growing up "The Big 8" am 800. CBC is CBET in Windsor.

Have a good day.;)
Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts