Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I was thinking about something in the past and I realized we haven't seen rv1pop on the board since August. I sure hope all is well with him and we will see him again. :)

Hope he is alright. I had just thought about him a few days ago as he worked closely with TBN for years. Very unlike him not to sign-on during the winter months or when he was in Seattle with high speed access!

I might still have some contact info. I'll check my old phone back-ups.

JMO,but it seems like there are a lot of MIA's since the change to XEN.Also seems to be a lot less activity than there used to be,tho currently this god awful winter may have something to do with that.
As some may remember when the change first occurred I left,absolutely hated it,I came back but I still don't like it,especially having to relearn how to use the place every time XEN comes out with an update.
Anyway,mini rant over,on with the show.

Reactions: Radioguy41
I have to agree. I'm a member (and on some a moderator) on 11 forums. This is the only one using XEN and, IMHO, it's awful. I can see how people might get frustrated with it. Just my $.02.

The only options were this, which a majority of sites are moving to, vBulletin 5 which is a total mess, or the same software that DBSTalk is using and people seem to really hate.

Take a look at this chart, I think it tells the story well.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 8.17.37 AM.png

Here is another.. While we had some growing pains at the start, I am very happy that we made the switch. And I sleep better at night knowning that the site is more secure and that we can use the latest security patches and backend software on our servers.

upload_2015-2-20_11-55-50.png

It was tough to make the switch for me also. I did not like it at all and I really missed some of the features of Vbulletin. Add Scott's newness to the software and a few bugs that needed fixed, I was so close to giving it up. But now I'm used to it and it really does work a lot faster than the old software. At this point I would not want to go back.

Jeepguy now sure how that site collects their data, but this thread from the Admin Zone explains how they get theirs.

https://theadminzone.com/threads/the-watching-vbulletins-market-share-nosedive-thread.106727/

Kind of funny reading through that thread. As early on is the following post by me.

Here is the thing...

I want to move off of vBulletin 4.2.2 not because I want to but because I need to support my members and the current internet technology they are using. I can't keep disabling features of my site because there is a security hole and no one wants to or knows how to fix them. I have selected vBulletin as my vendor so I didn't have to worry about this stuff and they were good, but now they have failed and to me they don't seem to care.

But I am scared to make the move to another Platform, while other platforms are GOOD they are not where I need them to be. I have a few million posts, 200,000 members etc... I got to be able to offer what I offer now to them if I move to another platform.

The other issue is my competition all moved off of vBulletin and I am the only left running vBulletin. Some have moved to XENFORO other IPB. Both of them after they moved lost a large amount of their traffic and members and they have never recovered. In order for my site to survive I need to keep my members and traffic, to see a 40 - 50% decline like my competition could be a fatal thing for my site.

I think this is being called "being stuck between a rock and a hard place."

New software, like anything new in life takes getting used to. Having said that, most folks don't like change I suspect mainly because of the learning curve. I wasn't happy with the new format either, BUT, over time have gotten more acclimated to it and now it's not a major problem.

Main thing is that Satellite Guys is STILL UP for all to use!

99% of the time I don't like it when any website changes anything. Some make changes so bad that I won't go to those sites anymore. Most changes to most sites just take a bit of getting used to. Personally I had very little problems adjusting to the new Satguys. It works fine for me.

VB is really over commercialized and has plenty of holes not to mention that you pay that license fee for the holes. Too many good alternative platforms IMO to waste time on VB. Glad Scott moved away from it.

Scott I don't want this to get too nit-picky so I'll post just this one last response. I suspect your chart was created in a way similar to the first one I posted and that is a segment of the net is being used to create the percentages shown. The first chart I posted was created that same way, it reflects the top 10K sites. To get the whole picture here is a pie chart using all the data for all the sites available, not just a sub-set.

Now some people have posted about getting used to XEN, which brings to mind that old saying; "You'll get used to hanging if you hang long enough." However, I will never get used to "Conversations" while the rest of the world uses PMs. Can't imagine who dreamt that up. Over and out.

pie%20chart%202.jpg~original

Made me think a little bit, and change some of the ways I did things. Like it just fine now.
Bruce

I'm not that picky and it's fine by me. But I've got to agree about "conversations" and throw in "reply" vs "quote."

Reactions: Jim S.
I agree entirely on the conversations. But I Ann working on something that I hope most will like. (And if they don't it can be turned off by the user) :)

When the site first changed over, I hated it, but once Scott got the bugs out and I got used to it, it's been fine for me.

Called him a few months ago and he was busy with a construction delivery. We haven't chatted since then. Sounded like he had many irons in the fire and trying to wrap up some big projects before winter hit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)