Anyone heard of a terminated dealer getting reinstated?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SuperSales

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Iowa
Hi,

I was recently notified that DirecTV was canceling my dealer contract. No reason was given, although I did find out they may have been worried that I was running too many credit checks.

Has anyone heard of terminated dealers getting reinstated? I am pretty sure that time will tell that I haven't done anything wrong, and the additional credit checks were not done with any malicious intent, but just because I had my sales people using Dishstar, so if they didnt get the work order just right the first time they had to start from the beginning since they didnt have access to the DWS sales queue.

I think you should contact DirecTV and get the exact reason why they canceled your dealer contract. And ask what you need to do to reinstate it.

Good luck with that. After dealing with DTV over the past 10 years I have rarely seen any termination over turned.

Well, I am just heartbroken.

I have tried to contact them and my (former) area manager said he would call me but he hasn't. I understand it is typical for them not to pick up the phone for people they have terminated. I imagine people whine and cry a lot in this situation, so I cant blame them for not wanting to talk.

A friend of mine said he knew of some people that got reinstated after 6 months because their churn turned out not too bad. But he might have been just trying to make me feel better.

Reminds me of when I say many retailers get terminated without reason several years back.

Correct. When we were the distributor for DTV we had to deal with this every year.
We would build up our dealer base only to have it knocked back down.

If you got too big as a retailer you could definitely count on getting terminated.

Correct. When we were the distributor for DTV we had to deal with this every year.
We would build up our dealer base only to have it knocked back down.

If you got too big as a retailer you could definitely count on getting terminated.

Why would they do that? DirecTV doesn't like getting as much business as possible?

Why would they do that? DirecTV doesn't like getting as much business as possible?

Well as ole Chase Carey has stated in many stockholder calls, "most of our growth comes from in-house sales".

This has been their goal for a while now. Over the past year we have seen DTV buy up most of the large HSP install companies, moving them in-house. DTV has kicked up their in-house marketing dominating most markets kicking out most retailers from using local media sources.

The writing is on the wall for DTV retailers.

As for terminating large retailers, well just think about all the monthly residual payments DTV doesn't have to pay out any more once the retailer is gone.;)

I think Dish Network is doing / going to do the same thing but starting with retailers being dishonest trying to sign up the same customers twice. They will figure out other ways (excuses) to terminating retailers until everything is done in-house by Dish Network and DirecTv. I don't recall cable having any retailers for them like Dish/Direct does. This is how they will be able to better compete in the market-place. They could not have done this until they got their subscriber numbers up high enough to make it worth their while. Dish/Direct does not want to pay the retailer their commissions anymore.

I think Dish Network is doing / going to do the same thing but starting with retailers being dishonest trying to sign up the same customers twice. They will figure out other ways (excuses) to terminating retailers until everything is done in-house by Dish Network and DirecTv. I don't recall cable having any retailers for them like Dish/Direct does. This is how they will be able to better compete in the market-place. They could not have done this until they got their subscriber numbers up high enough to make it worth their while. Dish/Direct does not want to pay the retailer their commissions anymore.

Not really. The big difference between Dish & DTV is that DTV is using the large telcos as advertising arms. Dish no longer has these big players after losing AT&T.
They now have to rely on the retailers, as they have in the past, to grow their business.
You are correct about Dish terminating the bad retailers. They allowed fowl play to happen for so many years it was getting out of hand. They have cleaned house and are now rebuilding.

How big is big? Is over 1000 deals installed in 3 months big?

Not really. Unless you did that in your first 6 months of business. Usually when someone comes out of the gates doing decent #'s they go on the radar and are looked at very closely to make sure there is no funny business going on. If they find anything that's against the rules you will be cut off early so that it doesn't grow out of hand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)