anyone heard of this for isp? kinda expensive but promises for rural areas.

Is this a joke? I put zip code in and get this.
'Viasat satellite internet is unavailable '

So they offer satellite internet but if your in a rural area its not available. Makes sense...LOL

So they offer satellite internet but if your in a rural area its not available. Makes sense...LOL
The way this has been explained to me, not sure if it's true or not, but each spot beam can only service x number of accounts. Your area, maybe that spot beam is maxed out?

Viasat2 is slowly becoming available in different areas. Check back in a month or so.

Reactions: HipKat
The way this has been explained to me, not sure if it's true or not, but each spot beam can only service x number of accounts. Your area, maybe that spot beam is maxed out?

It did say small print ' Due to strong demand, new installations have been suspended in your area. We apologize for the inconvenience'
So all the wealthy ranchers have probably snagged all the bandwidth.

I have cousin rancher 42 miles away in middle sandhills Nebraska and they ran their own fiber line for internet some 10 miles.

Reactions: HipKat
If Elon can get his fleet off the ground, which he sent up 2 birds as a test of what he intends to do, then he will have a viable option for internet, with a much lower-latency connection as satellite internet goes...it'll be many hundreds of satellites in low-earth orbit instead of a couple of satellites in geostationary orbit... I'm watching closely because DSL ...just isn't the answer anymore and it's all I can get. I need an unlimited data plan...and AT&T won't give me that. They much rather hit me with $10 fees for every 50gb past the initial 150gb that I hit...and I'm fed up with them.

Reactions: TheKrell
yo can look here for a wisp
https://www.towercoverage.com/En-US/Index/Northamericamap

not all are listed, but it gives an idea
Until the 1st part of this year, Wisper was the only good option for the subdivision I'm in. A little pricey but not horribly so IMO, and reports I got from some of my neighbors that had it were relatively positive about how well it worked for them. But reading around the 'net a bit, it is pretty much a crapshoot. My daughter has it where she lives and it is very hinky there.

Years ago, before 802.11 was even a finalized standard, the company I was working for did something similar with Aironet products. It was so our schools could get on the internet at what was considered 'high speed' in those days. Worked pretty well, but was very costly to implement.

I don’t think ATT has given up on their new version of BOPL- or they’ve done so quietly. Airgig. I personally doubt it’ll go far. I’m not certain that the LEO or MEO Internet satellites will make it, at least as currently envisioned- but I hope at least one will, and give it better odds than Airgig serving remote areas.

There are what, at least 3 different LEO and MEO Internet satellite proposals going forward?

There are 2 WISP providers in my area; one of them tops out at 15 and the other at 25 mbps, which is about the same speed as our local telco DSL. However, for those outside of town who can't get DSL, they seem like they might be a really good deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)