Anyone here disassembled the Hopper 40.0 remote?

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
Greetings everyone:

Has anyone here disassembled the Hopper 40.0 remote as I have some keys that seems to seems to be really picky when you push them as it seems the contacts need to be cleaned but I could not figure out how to get the housing of the remote apart. Has anyone ever taken apart one of these? Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Greetings everyone:

Has anyone here disassembled the Hopper 40.0 remote as I have some keys that seems to seems to be really picky when you push them as it seems the contacts need to be cleaned but I could not figure out how to get the housing of the remote apart. Has anyone ever taken apart one of these? Thanks!
Yes, but I made a mess of it. Just call DISH or DIRT member and request a new remote. They have always sent me one for free.

Remote Internal.jpg Remote Pry Open.jpg

I'd try fixing and request a replacement from Dish.
I have swapped out six defective 40.0 remotes with DISH thru the years. I tried several things and never could get the sticky keys to act right. When I tore one of the defective remotes apart I was expecting to just do some more cleaning. But the buttons are made out some kind of rubber material on a solid mold for all the keys. (see my pic in post #2) I think the rubber has gotten weak from use.

Reactions: Almighty1
Yes, but I made a mess of it. Just call DISH or DIRT member and request a new remote. They have always sent me one for free.

View attachment 126685 View attachment 126686

I would except I have a Hopper 3 so they will only send the smaller 52.0 remote. I actually already figured out how to do it from watching a youtube video... The problem is when I pry it, I leave marks all over the side as I did yesterday but the remote works fine now except the remote feels weird in the hand with the plastic being broken from the screwdriver. On the youtube video, the guy basically was able to do it with a screwdriver and not leave any marks. A question, is the On Demand button on yours a separate piece as on mines, the On Demand Button, the one that says DISH seems to be a individual button while all the other buttons are on the same sheet.

Last edited:
I would except I have a Hopper 3 so they will only send the smaller 52.0 remote. I actually already figured out how to do it from watching a youtube video... The problem is when I pry it, I leave marks all over the side as I did yesterday but the remote works fine now except the remote feels weird in the hand with the plastic being broken from the screwdriver.

Try thru DIRT. I have purchased numerous 40.0s and never had any problem. Let DIRT know you just can't use them there 52.0s. A lot of folks can't use them. Give it a try, you never know.

Reactions: Almighty1
Yeesh! You guys need to invest in a good set of small item repair tools, like the iFixit Tool Kits. They just came out with a new low-cost ($20) Essentials Kit:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit/IF145-348-1

I actually have the iFixit 70 piece classic ProTech toolkit that I completely forgot about until you mentioned the toolkit so I used a screwdriver to pry instead and left marks all over the side of the remote. Seems like some people like the Youtube video above can pry with a screwdriver without causing any dents, marks, etc.

Amazon product ASIN B007XGWQ2Y

Disassembled mine using nothing more than my Swiss army knife. It pops apart easily by gently prying the gap between top and bottom halves.

When I attempted this a year ago, I never could get the gap to separate but yesterday managed to do it after figuring out where to pry exactly. And now you mentioned it, it reminds me about another tool I have but never used, the Swiss Army CyberTool 41.

Amazon product ASIN B000MLQRCM

Pull the battery's out spray all the keys with a generous amount of Goof Off, then lay face down on paper towel for a couple of hours. See what that does....

All the printing on the buttons will be gone if the rubber hasn't melted by then. Even 5 seconds with Goof Off will completely remove the printing on the buttons.

I have swapped out six defective 40.0 remotes with DISH thru the years. I tried several things and never could get the sticky keys to act right. When I tore one of the defective remotes apart I was expecting to just do some more cleaning. But the buttons are made out some kind of rubber material on a solid mold for all the keys. (see my pic in post #2) I think the rubber has gotten weak from use.

The replacements are only free on the protection plan but the problem is they will only ship you the same remote that shipped with the receiver you have so in my case, my 40.0 remote came from the Hopper 1/2K which was upgraded to a Hopper 3 so the only remote they will send is the 52.0 as that was what shipped with the Hopper 3. Mines was not the rubber with the remote but rather in the middle section where all the DVR keys are, there was a film of sticky liquid on both the button contacts and also on the circuit board. Cleaning it with 70% Rubbing Alcohol, air drying it and then applying a layer of Caig DeOxit D5 to improve conductivity and protect fixed it, remote is as good as new except for the physical dents from prying with a screwdriver.

If the feel bothers you, the Dish store will sell you one for $20... You might try DIRT anyway, they just may send you a 40 remote for free if youbare nice....

I actually have another 40.0 remote new still in the box. Good idea about DIRT, never thought about asking them for remotes, although trying to ask them for the 50.0 remote might be a better idea. The feel doesn't bother me yet since I am sure it can be smoothed out one way or another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts