Anyone here disassembled the Hopper 40.0 remote?

All the printing on the buttons will be gone if the rubber hasn't melted by then. Even 5 seconds with Goof Off will completely remove the printing on the buttons.
I just tested it and your WRONG, granted if the hard plastic frame of the remote is black it stains it. But the rubber buttons are fine and the writing on the buttons stays on them.

Last edited:
I just tested it and your WRONG, granted if the hard plastic frame of the remote is black it stains it. But the rubber buttons are fine and the writing on the buttons stays on them.

I never said I tested it and that's what happened. I just know as a kid back in the 1980s, I actually poured goof off onto a sock and accidentally hit the buttons on a Philips TV remote and that's exactly what it did, it took all the color off. I know the circuit board would be fine because Goof Off is what I use to clean the core of a CPU to get rid of all the thermal interface material. But there is no real need to use Goof Off when you want to clean the contacts so it improves conductivity, that is what CAIG DeOxit and Cramolin is used for.

This isn't the 80's lol, I wasn't talking about cleaning the contacts you cant get to the contacts to clean they are sealed. I was talking about cleaning the button mat that lays on top of the board[gunk and goo can cause the problem you described].

This isn't the 80's lol, I wasn't talking about cleaning the contacts you cant get to the contacts to clean they are sealed. I was talking about cleaning the button mat that lays on top of the board[gunk and goo can cause the problem you described].

True and the other thing is the 80s Goof Off might or might not be the same formula since the Goof Off I use is still the one in the small rectangular can that looks exactly like the ones for lighter fluid. The current Goof Off seems to have way more formulas. Gunk and Goo might better be cleaned off with Goo Gone instead but I did flood it with Rubbing Alcohol at one point and basically the buttons didn't work for a few months and still remained sticky. Seems like the 52.0 remotes don't have the same problem. Although if the buttons other than the On Demand is one big rubber piece, how did the sticker liquid end up under the DVR button section.

The buttons on the 52 are plastic not rubber that's the difference, I have not taken apart a 52 so I don't know what it looks like apart. About the dvr button I don't know, I'm not a expert I just play one on tv.:D

Reactions: charlesrshell
The buttons on the 52 are plastic not rubber that's the difference, I have not taken apart a 52 so I don't know what it looks like apart. About the dvr button I don't know, I'm not a expert I just play one on tv.:D

What I meant with the 52 is there are still the contacts on the bottom of the buttons. For the 40.0, it just seems like the sticky residue is stuck underneath the DVR section of the buttons and on top of the circuit board in that same section. I thought you just play one online... LOL

Reactions: Partysox

Actually from what I learned today, it seems that if Goof Off or Alcohol can't fix the problem then the problem is the coating on the buttons are gone and you basically need to put new carbon on it or use electric paint to get it working again.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)