Anyone here remembers the DishLink PCI card?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Faw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Where any actually made? Since I started experimenting with the 721 I have been curious about it.

Check info here. It was supposed to be made by Adaptec. I wonder if there are still some around. :)

Good trivia question, what did Dish Network make more of? The Dish DVD or the Dishlink PCI card.

I don't think any actually made it out the door. Anyone know the answer?

No - just another broken E* promise.

The promise of the card was one reason why I signed up with E* back in the old days. At least I ended up with a DishPlayer.

Price drops on DVD players is what probably made it obselete before anyone could ever see one.

Any printed materials from Dish?

Does anyone have any press releases or printed materials from Dish that state they will bring this to market? The Adaptec stuff is nice; be they are a PC Card makers.

Would be nice to tell Dish either put up or get a class action suit for not delivering.

I would buy one tomorrow if I could get it and put it in my MCE so I don't have to have the crappy dish receivers.

My bet is that Dish could never convince the content owners that their IP would not be stolen.

However; the new DRM technology might make it possilble, but now Dish wants to be in the Hardware Business instead of focusing on the Delivery of content.

This is why they will become a niche delivery company in remote areas only. The Cable companies will win in the large markets.

Too bad

I came across this thread when I did a Google search on the ABA-1020. According to this, a few cards were made for demonstration and a few were demonstrated in Gateway Destination systems.... I did an extensive search on Gateway's site, but found no mention of this card.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach.../11-2001/msg00053.html+Adaptec+ABA-1020&hl=en

A side note....when this card was announced in 1997 (?) Gateway was an Authorized Dish Network Retailer. At their factory outlet store here in South Dakota, they had Dish Network display. I almost bought my system from them at the time, but they had no receivers in stock.

A Google search for Broadlogic ABA will turn up some interesting reading...

Mike J

Interesting stuff... Someone once mentioned the 921's video cards look like PCI cards...

Maybe Dish is using a special version of the Adaptecs in this receiver? :confused:

yellowdragon said:
Interesting stuff... Someone once mentioned the 921's video cards look like PCI cards...

Maybe Dish is using a special version of the Adaptecs in this receiver? :confused:
No - not at all. Satellite transmission technology has changed a LOT since then. Remember the add-in module for the 6000 so it could decode the new stuff?

Also, the 921 has what appear to be PCI slots, but they are next to the tuner cards which are hard-mounted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)