Status
Please reply by conversation.

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Having problems tonight? I know we are getting a little snow and some freezing rain, but come on, this is ridiculous.

Anyone else having issues with the weather and sat signal tonight?

Yep. I'm in Dearborn, just outside of Detroit. A thin layer of slush caused my signal to drop to "0" on all transponders. I have never had this little amount of snow cause an issue (AT-9/Sidecar dish). I had to get up on the ladder with the long broom and get the heavy slush off. I'm a bit ticked as we were watching something we recorded only to find out we missed the last half hour due to a little bit of slush.

I must admit, I am ticked. I have had to brush off the single LNB, the Phase III dish a few times, but this was the first time in a year and a half (and that includes some heavy snows) that I've had to brush off the 5LNB/AT-9. Not acceptable. At 42 years old, I don't care for having to climb a cold, aluminum ladder at night to use an extended (homemade) broom to clean off slush/snow.

Having problems tonight? I know we are getting a little snow and some freezing rain, but come on, this is ridiculous.

I'm in NW Ohio (Sylvania) Not having ANY problems.
Raining and Ice as well, but not much at the moment.

What kind of trouble are you having and what are you watching, I will check my channel as well.

Jimbo

Yep. I'm in Dearborn, just outside of Detroit. A thin layer of slush caused my signal to drop to "0" on all transponders. I have never had this little amount of snow cause an issue (AT-9/Sidecar dish). I had to get up on the ladder with the long broom and get the heavy slush off. I'm a bit ticked as we were watching something we recorded only to find out we missed the last half hour due to a little bit of slush.

I must admit, I am ticked. I have had to brush off the single LNB, the Phase III dish a few times, but this was the first time in a year and a half (and that includes some heavy snows) that I've had to brush off the 5LNB/AT-9. Not acceptable. At 42 years old, I don't care for having to climb a cold, aluminum ladder at night to use an extended (homemade) broom to clean off slush/snow.

Yeah, this happened to me tonight and I can't physically get up there to clean it off. Have to wait 'till it melts.

I too have the AT-9 and have had very few problems with it.
I have found that the slushy snow is the hardest to work with as it builds up much easier.
So far so good here, but I'm about 50 miles south of you guys.

Jimbo

We had just enough snow to cover the grass (it was melting on the driveway/road/sidewalks). I noticed some slush on the dish (its on my garage roof about 35 feet behind the house). I have never seen such a small amount of snow/slush cause an outage. Never. Not even with the single LNB dish. My Phase III lost signal due to snow a few times, but this AT-9/Sidecar -- never until tonight. This is extremely surprising as there wasn't that much on the dish.

We had just enough snow to cover the grass (it was melting on the driveway/road/sidewalks). I noticed some slush on the dish (its on my garage roof about 35 feet behind the house). I have never seen such a small amount of snow/slush cause an outage. Never. Not even with the single LNB dish. My Phase III lost signal due to snow a few times, but this AT-9/Sidecar -- never until tonight. This is extremely surprising as there wasn't that much on the dish.

Time to look into a dish heater ???? for the once or twice a year that this happens ?

Jimbo

Yep, I'm in Westland and the signal went out a couple hours ago. I went outside to have a look, and sure enough there is a layer of wet snow covering most of the dish. This is the first time in the 6 years that I've had DTV that I've lost signal due to snow. I hope it's not something that will occur often with this new HD dish (it was installed last Spring).

I still think it's the TYPE of snow more than anything..... Your normal snow will have no effect, I've had this 5 LNB set up since it came out and rarley have any trouble.
Every once in a while, I'll have to go out and dust it off.

BTW, Are you guy's using D* for your locals, that could make all the difference in the world, now that I thought about it, I'm currently watching the football game on the OTA, but I did skip through my normal sat channels abit earlier to check anyways.

jimbo

Yep, In garden city here, I took your advice, went out, climbed up and sure enough it was caked..All good now though

According to the local radar, your ICE looks to be about over so the rain should eliminate any more ICE in the area.

Jimbo

I am in Commerce Township and had no issues last night. I just got the HD dish two weeks ago. I had a round dish since DTV year one and had never had an issue. Is the HD dish more prone to ice/snow build up?

I'm in Troy and it got me as well. I am a new customer and was pretty shocked when my signal went to zero from about 1 centimeter of snow. I have had Dish Network and Voom in the past and don't recall this ever happening.

I called customer service and they told me to sweep it off and maybe get a dish cover.

Unfortunately the Dish is way out of reach for me. Hopefully, as others have mentioned, it just happened to be this particular weather that caused it because I'd hate to see what happens with some real snow storms.

At least it was back in time for Family Guy.

I'm in Troy and it got me as well. I am a new customer and was pretty shocked when my signal went to zero from about 1 centimeter of snow. I have had Dish Network and Voom in the past and don't recall this ever happening.

I called customer service and they told me to sweep it off and maybe get a dish cover.

Unfortunately the Dish is way out of reach for me. Hopefully, as others have mentioned, it just happened to be this particular weather that caused it because I'd hate to see what happens with some real snow storms.

At least it was back in time for Family Guy.

Maybe get a bottle of RV antifreeze you can spray on it in bad weather ?
From the ground that is, or maybe a water hose, water is not froze at this point.

Jimbo

I looked but couldn't find a "Super Soaker" (heavy-duty squirt gun) anywhere. I guess its not the season for selling squirt guns or I'd get one of those and fill it with hot water, but in the meantime, I stopped at Home Depot. I picked up a telescoping pole ($17) that extends 12 feet. I will attach another pole/broom I have already and will have enough length to brush the snow off the dish on the garage roof without having to get on the ladder. Hopefully, this was a freakish occurence. Usually, it takes a bunch of heavy, wet snow to stop the signal and like I said, first time in the year and a half I've had the 5LNB/AT-9/Sidecar dish that its happened.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts