Anyone in Sub-Saharan Africa? Reception question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTL_Ian

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 22, 2009
Keene, NH
As you may be aware, AMOS-5 has gone dark and programming is being moved elsewhere. RRMedia has moved their mux to SES-5. If you can receive SES-5 and don't mind a quick rescan, please see if you can find channel LRN.FM:

The channel should be on SES-5 at 5 degrees East, Transponder: 4.951, Frequency: 11919 MHz, Horizontal Polarization, Symbol Rate: 27500, FEC: 3/4

Map of SES-5 coverage in Africa
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/SES-5-Sub-Saharan-Africa.html

Thank you!

Don't think any of the active SatGuys members* can see 5.0E, for two reasons, neither beam is aimed this way(the U.S. where this board is located) and it's below the horizon in the U.S. except for a small area in the extreme N.E.
AFAIK there's no members from S.Africa area. A few in Eu, but that's it.
Think you'd get a better chance of a response on a board located in the area that 5.0E covers. (Sub-Saharan board- ??)

Maybe satsignature.com ??? Select the satellite, then check on the services tab ?? That is, IF they can see that satellites beams.

Ah ha - .You ARE LRN.FM(?) - why not contact RRMedia ?? But I would venture to say, if you've paid the bill, they would have put you on the new satellite.

RRMedia did supposedly move us over to SES-5. I am trying to verify that it's actually there.

Just because they say it's on, doesn't mean it is. When we launched the channel on AMOS-5, they accidentally put on some music station that was not LRN.FM, and I would not have known and they would not have known, had a listener on the ground there not reported it. Unfortunately his mother just died, so he's not going to be able to check for a while.

Put on 'the air' a request of a listener in the area contact you.
A collect call can be refused, but then you know it was heard there.
Doesn't cost a dime.
Your website logs would/should also log access by that region also.
They could also contact you via it's contact page(?)
Also Doesn't cost a dime. Golden!

I didn't think there WERE collect calls anymore.

I think we had one guy here a ways back that claimed to be in SA.

We're spoilt for choice in Europe as there's also http://en.kingofsat.net/radio-4.8E.php but that hasn't had an update so far. I find Flysat more useful for 'DX'ing as it lists all the data transponders, they're often stronger than TV which makes finding weak satellites easier. It's just a shame they don't fully cover the Atlantic birds to our extreme west.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)