Anyone know HOW this new FCC ruling will affect DISH and subs?

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
Just saw this at the Yahoo Business pages:http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/fcc-ruling-comcast-wins-att-and-dish-get-screwed.html/

FCC Ruling: Comcast Wins, AT&T and Dish Get Screwed

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced today that it plans to ease regulations on exclusive programming deals, including regional sports networks. The news of lifted restrictions carries significant weight for many key players in the programming industry.
Cable operators like Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) and Time Warner Cable (NYSE:TWC) stand to gain considerable ground as a result of the new changes, which could potentially be enacted as soon as Friday.

Since 1992, cable companies have been required by Congress to provide pay-TV rivals access to any content that is delivered by satellite to the cable network’s key “head end” distribution point.
However, today’s FCC announcement to end that “program-access exclusivity ban” is sure to shake things up.
The anticipated deregulation will hurt multi-channel satellite broadcasting competitors like DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV), Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH), Verizon (NYSE:VZ) and AT&T (NYSE:T), and FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has stated that he will handle the review of complaints on a case-by-case basis.

very little ..Dish really could give two hoots about sports..they would rather not carry them at all if they could get away with it

It means that Comcast no longer has to sell your local Comcast Sportnet to DIRECTV, Vierizon FiOS, AT&T Uverse or DISH.

This is a BAD change.

Sounds great to me! Anything to have less sports crap on Dish is good!!!

Now if they would dump ESPN and lower my rate...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-freed-from-sharing-their-non-sports-programs

The FCC let the sharing rule expire and added an exception for cable-owned regional sports networks that show professional and collegiate contests, said two officials who spoke on condition they not be identified because today’s decision hadn’t been made public. Under the exception, competitors could complain to the agency about a withheld regional sports network, and the FCC could order a cable company to grant access, the officials said.

looks like there are sports related exceptions where they could complain to the FCC

very little ..Dish really could give two hoots about sports..they would rather not carry them at all if they could get away with it

That's because it's obvious that all of us Dish subs down on the farm are far too busy working to watch sports, or anything that has to do with zombies! lol

Dish should just drop everything, and then there would be far less drama every. single. day.

But the problem is that they dropped the exceptions for NON sports nets. It means that if say Time-Warner has a non sports net that it funds, it doesn't have to offer it to anyone outside of their system. IOW's they can tell D*, E* and any other cable co to drop dead. It is a bad thing for competition. This is a big mistake and I hope that the ruling can be challenged.

Yep its definitely a bad ruling.If it isn't repealed it will lead to more channels being exclusive to whomever owns them.Say Comcast owns Comcast Sports Philly,and Time Warner owns Sports Pennsylvania.Customers would have to either forget about watching certain teams or have both providers.You would think that one of these days someone with common sense could make rulings in peoples favor not in companies favor.

Absolutely horrible decision. You have to wonder if palms are being greased, as this makes no sense whatsoever.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Absolutely horrible decision. You have to wonder if palms are being greased, as this makes no sense whatsoever.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

You still just WONDER if palms are being greased in Washington? They are non-stop on the take. Every single one of them. It might take the first year for the newest ones, but they soon toe the line and take the payoffs like all the rest.

Deadlocked said:
They blackout all games minus those college games they broadcast. I could care less really

Thing is - for many folks, those college game broadcasts are important.

For us PAC12 fanatics, we are now taken care of because of PAC12 Network carriage. Prior to this carriage, the multi-sport package lost all value to me.

If multi-sport loses the Comcast college games, the package will need to undergo a major change.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Think of all the areas TWC has no service. Are they really going to turn down that kind of money and take HBO off of Dish and Direct TV or other cable operators? Is MLB/NBA going to let them take TNT off, or even are they willing to lose all those viewers who watch their orignal programming? As I posted, this has to be an all or nothing thing. They either are making it available to everyone, or they are not. If they can pick and choose I see a very winnable lawsuit against the FCC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)