Anyone looking at Rainbow2 yet?

MNHTUG

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Anyone looking at Rainbow2 yet? Is it Live?

I'm interested to see how many channels are on the sat. I've got a spare dish. Maybe it's time to clamp it to the deck rail and dial in the signal?

If your interested in giving it a try, the following link will help you find the sat from your location.

Point your satellite dish...

Note: You'll have to plug in 72 since Rainbow2 is not a selectable menu choice.

thats why Voom is going to have to go to an ellipitcal dish to get the other satellite.

TheTimm said:
So the elliptical dish will be able to pick up both satellites, or we'll need two dishes? :confused:

The idea of the elliptical dish is that it has two focusing surfaces, thus the ability to focus on two separate satellites.

With the elliptical dish you will be able to receive signals from both satellites.

Now is Rainbow 2 just hosting certain channels or all the same channels? If it is higher in the horizon, wouldn't most all of us want to have our dishes pointed to it? I think most of the issues that people have with fade or obstructions , is the fact that the dish has to be pointed almost straight down the horizon and there is likley going to be buildings or trees in the way, which I have to deal with. Even with the 24" dish, I still was getting drops in the 60's with the last rain, fine otherwise!

Wouldn't the STB have to be programmed to receive it and not just changing the dish position? Or would it happen automatically if you repointed it?

I created this thread to tap into minds of the tech savy. If your not familiar with adding satellite antenna's, dialing in the sat, splitters or just plain testing then this thread may not be for you.

I plan to dial in Rainbow2 within the next few days to see what's on there. I'm interested to see if the three channels discussed in the recent press release are live. Also interested to see if other channels are live as well.

MNHTUG said:
I created this thread to tap into minds of the tech savy. If your not familiar with adding satellite antenna's, dialing in the sat, splitters or just plain testing then this thread may not be for you.

I plan to dial in Rainbow2 within the next few days to see what's on there. I'm interested to see if the three channels discussed in the recent press release are live. Also interested to see if other channels are live as well.

...and it was a good effort, Tugger! Too bad the "tech savy(sic)" seem to have zero interest in your thread. God forbid it should serve any purpose at all, since it's obviously not serving the one you intended. So go ahead, dude, "clamp it to the deck rail and dial in the signal" with your spare dish. I'm sure everyone who's been swarming to ignore the original intent of your thread is dying to ignore the results of your experiment.
I'll now get off the line and return to the land of the 'tards so you and your tech savy (though somewhat grammatically challenged) pals can go back to not talking about the new satellite.
And if tapping into their minds doesn't work, perhaps you should try tapping into their :eek: ...oh, nevermind.

Don't Bother Trying To Find Rainbow2 With Your Current Dish & LNB. The New Sat. Does Not Use The Same LNB That Dish, Directv Or Voom Uses. The New Elliptical Dish Will Have 2 LNBs (One That We Use Now For 61.5 & A Second Different One For The 72 Sat.)

The "tech savy" comment was my fear that someone might try adjusting their dish then call Voom and say, "well some guy on the forum said to..." sort of thing. Don't want that.

My "tech savy" comment did sound a little weird didn't it? My fear with this thread is someone might try adjusting their dish then call Voom and say, "well some guy on the forum said to.." sort of thing. I would be bummed out if something like that happened.

Apologies for my verbiage and spelling.

:)

Don't bother. The new antennas are not finished and the new transmitter shelter doesn't even have AC power to it yet. Voom is not transmitting anything to rainbow 2 and it probably be about 2-3 months before any testing is done.

OK well can one of you tech savvy folks help me figure out how far apart these two birds will be from one another? 9 degrees mean nothing to me. In other words, will the position of our current dish need to be changed? or will the new dish (in the same location ) be able to pick up both birds?

I'm concerned because I have lots of trees (the current position of my dish is the only clear view).

Thanks for the link Walter, I was looking for that last night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts