Anyone move from Dish Network to FIOS?

vdog16

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Washington DC
I'm a current, happy Dish customer. I have Fios for home phone and internet, and have been receiving calls from Verizon offering me a Triple Play bundle for a very good price. I've done a bit of research myself and even after the promotion period expires, I'll still save about $10 per month if I were to switch to Fios TV. I will also get the MLB network which is one of few channels I actually wish Dish had.

I'm wondering if anyone here has made a switch from Dish to Fios at any point? What was your experience like? Was there anything you really missed from Dish when you made the switch?

I don't really want to go through the hassle because I like Dish, but the monthly savings and having all three things with one provider are attractive to me. I'll also be able to get HD on three TVs instead of two and one SD like I have now. If I do decide to switch it would be early next year when my current contract is up. Just looking for input from those who have experience with both Dish and Fios, because I'm sure there are many issues with Fios that I wouldn't know just by doing the price comparison.

I'm a current, happy Dish customer. I have Fios for home phone and internet, and have been receiving calls from Verizon offering me a Triple Play bundle for a very good price. I've done a bit of research myself and even after the promotion period expires, I'll still save about $10 per month if I were to switch to Fios TV. I will also get the MLB network which is one of few channels I actually wish Dish had.

I'm wondering if anyone here has made a switch from Dish to Fios at any point? What was your experience like? Was there anything you really missed from Dish when you made the switch?

I don't really want to go through the hassle because I like Dish, but the monthly savings and having all three things with one provider are attractive to me. I'll also be able to get HD on three TVs instead of two and one SD like I have now. If I do decide to switch it would be early next year when my current contract is up. Just looking for input from those who have experience with both Dish and Fios, because I'm sure there are many issues with Fios that I wouldn't know just by doing the price comparison.

There are those that have done it and are happy and some that are not. The PQ in most cases is better. Channel line up for some wasn't what they wanted it turned out.

i had fios and went to dish because i moved. Loved fios a lot of features on demand widgets and dvr. with their dvr you can watch a live channel pause that channel turn to another one and watch that. turn back to other one and unpause. cant do that with dish.

Billing/customer service is horrible takes 20 min to talk to a human.

Thanks everyone, and there is some good information in that other thread. The lack of external storage concerns me considering the small size of the Fios boxes.

i had fios and went to dish because i moved. Loved fios a lot of features on demand widgets and dvr. with their dvr you can watch a live channel pause that channel turn to another one and watch that. turn back to other one and unpause. cant do that with dish.

Billing/customer service is horrible takes 20 min to talk to a human.

You can do that with the 722k, i do it all the time, just have to be live and not recording and use the pip button to swap.

Anyway, i too went from fios to dish and the main reason was the dvr, they just stink on fios. they only hold 20hrs of hd, and get really expensive if you have multiple dvrs. We still have fios for phone and internet and save money because of the difference of equipment prices and the better packages on dish, we are on dish latino Max. Fios charges $20 for a dvr that can share content, the same dvr with that feature disabled is $16, and the first one is not included like with Dish. Constantly had to watch the space on the dvr because it would fill up so fast. But if you don't record a lot then fios would be fine, but they do not have all the hd channels dish has so you should pick the channels you watch the most and see who has them.

External storage is coming with a new software update.

they are really slow updating their boxes, my brother has still not gotten the last update that came out earlier this year i believe. Plus the old ui was slow on the moto boxes, i saw video of the new one and that looks like it will be even slower with all the new graphics and all. And the widgets were more of a novelty for me, rarely used them.

The FiOS Triple Play has been a pure joy (highest quality), excellent pricing, and not one second of towntime since it was installed 32-months ago. Just make sure you get yourself a TivoHD and/or Premiere and you're good as gold and right as rain.

I made the switch, and am happy. I purchase two tivo HD XL's for about $200 each. The XLs hold about 150 hours of HD recordings. Definitely more than I need.

With triple play, I am saving about $40/mo for 24 month commitment. In 10 months the Tivo's are paid for. What I like most about the TIVOs (that my old 622 would not do) is I can begin watching a program and pick up where I left off even if the recording is still occurring. With the 622, if you leave during the recording, you have to start at the beginning and find where you left off. Kind of a pain.

A no-brainer for me......

I made the switch, and am happy. I purchase two tivo HD XL's for about $200 each. The XLs hold about 150 hours of HD recordings. Definitely more than I need.

With triple play, I am saving about $40/mo for 24 month commitment. In 10 months the Tivo's are paid for. What I like most about the TIVOs (that my old 622 would not do) is I can begin watching a program and pick up where I left off even if the recording is still occurring. With the 622, if you leave during the recording, you have to start at the beginning and find where you left off. Kind of a pain.

1 thing I wish the E* boxes would do.

I actually got FIOS (phone/internet/TV) and kept Dish as well.

The savings you would realize only you can evaluate. You just need to be careful about channel lineups. Dish has loads more national HD than Verizon (Verizon has some that Dish doesn't have but not much) but if you're a sports fan in NY the addition of YES and GOL-TV might be important.

As to quality, I'm not a techie and to me there's not a HECK of a lot to choose between Dish-HD and FIOS-HD. If you ARE a techie then I would expect you'd see a difference.

Check the channel lineups to see what you'd be missing.

a good friend went from E to FIOS thanks to the fee jacking, he didnt care for the FIOS DVR so upgraded to TIVO and is very happy........

bundling is going to cost E as lot of churn........

the savings are great:)

We are very much enjoying FIOS and the great pq. Multiple dvrs with dish were costing us more than with FIOS. We are seriously looking at Tivo for at least one tv for now but the free VOD of a lot of the shows is really nice. We are (relatively) patient so knowing Cisco boxes were being tested in our area and upgrades are seriously in the works is fine. We waited a long time for some things over the 13 years were with dish too. Dish gave us what we needed for a long time and we spent a lot of money on receivers but we are getting a lot more for less with the bundle now

Doesn't Tivo have a monthly fee? How does that compare to Dish when you add the Fios monthly fee plus the TIVO fee??

Ross

You can get TIVO without monthly fee, at a cost..... I think that has been already worked into the previous posts...

The MoxiHD is also a good alternative. I just picked-up a TivoHD NIB for $129 and you can get a full-year subscription for $129 or as little as $99 for multiple DVRs. The cost is comparible and perhaps less expensive when you start adding-up Dish Networks monthly $17 Duo-DVR fee, $6 DVR fee and even FiOS' DVR fee. It's basically a wash whatever way you go, but the saving of the FiOS Triple Play are real and the quality and reliability are hard to beat.

How are you factoring in the costs of the TiVos? Are you paying about $23 per month for the required service or did you buy two lifetime's at what, $300 a piece? That, at the most money up front option, be at lest a $1,000 all cash up front investment for 2 DVR's with inferior external drive feature and no streaming mult-room viewing (current Series 3, HD and HDXL are transfers to the other TiVo of programs and painfully slow, but faster with Series 4) and still only 2 channels recording at any one time. People need to know the full cost of such a switch so they are prepared if they don't want the FiOS DVR. But I am curious of you've gone monthly plan or 1 or 2 or 3 lifetime plan.

However, I think TiVo is still offering the Premier (not XL, I think) at $19.99 per month with NO MONEY UPFRONT that includes the TiVo service. While it may not be the less expensive option years down the road, it sure is a great deal to get a decent DVR for one's service without having to spend the hundreds for the box, then, if beyond the monthly plan, hundreds more for the service. At the end of the 2 year commitment, the TiVo Premier is yours. It becomes owned by the sub, not TiVo! However, at the end of the 2 years, TiVo continues to bill at the $19.99 rate. It would be up to the subscriber to call TiVo or otherwise (via website) change the plan to the less expensive $12.95 per month, but still a good deal, I think for those who don't have the wads of cash.

Personally, if I ever go to FiOS, Moxi would be the no-brainer with 3 tuner model with the much more superior multi-room viewing that is streaming that requires a less expensive "mate" device rather than a 2nd DVR, better (subjective) HD interface, NO MONTHLY FEES EVER, and massive capacity with the internal HDD nearly all 1TB available for recordings (no hack upgrading--at additional coast, even if DYI--necessary, as with some TiVo's) and a far superior external HDD that supports at least 2TB. And the investment works about about the same. Moxi, the winner for me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)