Anyone near zip code 84047 that can help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dahlemann

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Midvale Utah
Im new to Satellite Guys site, but have been reading posts and studying up on satellite for a couple of years.

What I have:
-- 7 1/2 foot wire mesh laser c band dual polarity lnb with a venture motor
-- 7 1/2 foot wire mesh Echostar Chapparral CALAMP lnbf with von weise motor

Both of these were taken down in pieces and the pieces are in my garage. No idea if the motors work or not. Also have a Echostar 510 videocipher RS receiver (no remote), from a well meaning relative.

My guess is that these are so outdated that not much will be available with them. Also have 2 dish 500 and a dish single lnb 18" along with a dish pvr and dish 301.

My wife has told me to either use the dishes and receivers or get rid of them. I live in Salt Lake City area Zip code 84047. I'm looking for someone in this area that loves this stuff and will help me do a site survey in my yard and see if I can get clear signals due to various obstructions (neighbors house and trees). Also need to know if anything I have will work or if all needs to be updated.

There are some installers that will charge me to come and look, but I'm thinking there are people that like the hobby and would be willing to teach me without charging an arm and a leg to do it. I want to learn what I am doing by doing it. I'm quick learner if there is someone to show me a few things. I'll do the work, just need a little help to get started.

Interested in any and all hockey, MTN, God TV, glory star, and any available Candian TV.

Thank you!

Hi David,

Welcome to the site. I am not in a postition to help you from here in the Boilermaker State, but it's sure great to have another hockey fan aboard. I love it all, from Pee Wee to the NHL. We have a great assortment of hockey fans on this site. My preference is Notre Dame, North Dakota, Philadelphia Flyers:up and anybody playing the Bruins and Red Wings:mad:.

Actually, you will be able to get far more with the 7 1/2 foot dish than you will from the Dish 500 and single LNB DBS dish. The Dish Network receivers are useless for FTA, and the dishes will pick up a handful of unencrypted channels from 82w, 91w, 110w, and 119w, with the majority of free stuff being on 119w.

The big dish and Echostar Videocipher RS receiver are both useful. The Videocipher RS receiver will pick up analog feeds which are in the clear (there are quite a number of them on Ku this time of year, college football games). You may want to try a smaller dish (30 inches is minimum size for Ku) before you attempt to go after C-band (the big dish is for that). You will also need a DVB FTA receiver, and you'll find some good product reviews for them in the reviews section. Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the weather here will cooperate and I can try out the smaller dish tomorrow. Its supposed to rain, but hopefully it will hold off.

Question about the Echostar Videocipher RS receiver. Since I don't have a remote, is there a way to search for signals, and to program them in using the controls on the receiver itself? Does anyone know where I could possibly find a manual online for the receiver?

I love hockey now matter what age and skill level. The Oilers have been my team in the west for many years. In the east I like the Pens and Sens. Anyone playing the flyers is also a favorite of mine.

Dont get to see it too much, but the WHL is awesome. The Oil Kings are just getting started up again, and I have followed the Vancouver Giants for the last three years or so (mostly on the inner net). Got to attend a Giants home game vs the Kamloops Blazers about a year ago. It was cool!!

Not much high school hockey here, but it is fun to watch too. We have a family friend that played at Notre Dame (later with the NY Islanders). College hockey is awesome.

Thanks again! Looking forward to trying things out tomorrow.

Pictures of everything

IF I understand you correctly. You have 2 7.1/2 dishs or just one dish and a smaller DBS echostar dish?

ANyway. post pictures of the larger dish (Mostly of the lnb end of the needle stack.) Like I picked up one and posted pictures. Plus names and such. I got lucky. Mine included a colarotor with ku and c band lnb. This will help us out.

Basicly you use the old analog sat receiver to control the large 7.1/2 foot dish. Then you connnect a new FTA Dvb receiver to that. Instructions on how to do this is on this website.

But mostly pictures help.

Later,

Josh

I got the dish together. Purchased the micro pro had receiver. I've got a venture linear actuator. How do I connect that to the receiver? Does it require some kind of control box, and how does that box connect to the receiver? Right now the dish is stationary on 107 Anik F1R and am enjoying CBC and CTV Two.

To control the actuator, purchase a Gbox or a Vbox. These controllers receive a DiSEqC 1.2 motor position command from the receiver and move the actuator to the saved count position.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts