Anyone running Dish and Directv?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I left satellite awhile back because we finally got cable here and I wanted better internet, so I bundled. Fast forward we now have ATT Gigabit, so I have swapped to that for internet, which makes the mediacom wasteful and expensive.

Was considering Directv bundle with a dvr and client, to save a little money. Do not think Uverse is an option because from my reading their PQ ranks the lowest. The one kink is I loved the H3 over the HR44 when I had it on release, and the 16 tuners is a positive plus.

Since I have been gone awhile, just wondering if anything had really changed between the two providers, I know Directv/ATT is kinda in a holding pattern with new hardware development.

Just going to Dish would save me $45/month, I'm not sure a Directv bundles saves that much more.

TIA

I have both, on DISH I have a Hopper 3, and with DIRECTV I have a HR-54 and then watch 4K via RVU on my bedroom TV. And when I want to watch 4K down the stairs in the living room I transfer the DIRECTV from my TV (forget this device) and use the C61K I have down there.

Love DIRECTV's 4K but everything else I watch on DISH, the Hopper 3 is worlds ahead of anything DIRECTV is offering.

The problem with the HS17 is it's only 7 tuners, and needing clients for each TV... which is why I'm also looking at switching to Dish. 7 tuners isn't enough in the world today. Have a household like mine where 2 or 3 TV's are running, if company stays over there's another 1-3 TVs, then wanting to record 4+ programs, oopss... running out of room.

Has anyone heard of a new customer getting two Hopper 3 at the first install?

Reactions: DialgaChampion

I think that’s a really cool idea there. If dish could combine that with the hopper and ofer several tiers for 2,4, and maybe 6tb of dvr storage, and 16,32, and someday 64 tuners, they would be way ahead of the game. Hopefully the H4 will be somewhat similar.

The problem with the HS17 is it's only 7 tuners, and needing clients for each TV... which is why I'm also looking at switching to Dish. 7 tuners isn't enough in the world today. Have a household like mine where 2 or 3 TV's are running, if company stays over there's another 1-3 TVs, then wanting to record 4+ programs, oopss... running out of room.

Has anyone heard of a new customer getting two Hopper 3 at the first install?
Just an FYI, the HS17 has 15 tuners in it, just that DIRECTV has enabled only 7 of them for the customers use. Should be interesting to see what they end up doing with all of them.

The dilemma is having to wait on the HS17, because summer season with no recordings is a great time to swap. Or, installing Direct and then paying upgrade later... Other issue is, I have had TERRIBLE luck with Directv launches, usually a buggy mess.

I really like the Hopper 3, but the 1TB and 5 tuners on a HR44 would be fine as well. I need to compare in the bundle and see if there is any advantage.

The dilemma is having to wait on the HS17, because summer season with no recordings is a great time to swap. Or, installing Direct and then paying upgrade later... Other issue is, I have had TERRIBLE luck with Directv launches, usually a buggy mess.

I really like the Hopper 3, but the 1TB and 5 tuners on a HR44 would be fine as well. I need to compare in the bundle and see if there is any advantage.
For a data point, I've had a HS17 as part of their early testing program and it's been very stable. Enough to the point that I've removed two Genie's from my account, that can never be added back in again and haven't missed them at all. Solid Signal said they're expecting their first batch in the next few weeks, if that's true maybe you can get one from them vs. having to wait on DIRECTV to come out with an upgrade path.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
Thanks Rad. The deals right now to bundle on ATT.com with my gigabit service are very good, I am going to pull the trigger, and if I decide to go to the HS17 Ill just do in late in the year, and prob just grab one from SS.

I love the bundle stuff with AT&T/DIRECTV. Getting free HBO, $25/month due to wireless, $5 for auto bill pay and DIRECTV, $10 for combined billing plus any streaming from the DIRECTV app doesn't count against any wireless usage.

Just an FYI, the HS17 has 15 tuners in it, just that DIRECTV has enabled only 7 of them for the customers use. Should be interesting to see what they end up doing with all of them.

Yeah I know technically it has 15 tuners, but unless I read incorrectly, it only has 7 tuners available? The extra tuners are most likely for 4k with the reverse band LNB.

I'm going to a local Dish installer tomorrow to see what they have to say about a new customer, and the possibility of having two Hopper 3 as a new customer. I may have to wait until August when the boss lady leaves for vacation with her good friend. lol :)

Reactions: JSheridan
Yeah I know technically it has 15 tuners, but unless I read incorrectly, it only has 7 tuners available? The extra tuners are most likely for 4k with the reverse band LNB.

I'm going to a local Dish installer tomorrow to see what they have to say about a new customer, and the possibility of having two Hopper 3 as a new customer. I may have to wait until August when the boss lady leaves for vacation with her good friend. lol :)

According to post #20 Here

AT&T to Dish

It’s possible

its not just the tuners in the hs17, but timers
a genie has 100, dvrs have 50
hs17 has 100

removing an dvr reduces your timers, and requires you to mange them at diff times of the year

if they remove the timer limit and turn on all 17 tuners, then it would be almost acceptable
just needs its own 4k hdmi port

One thing I noticed Directv has over DISH is that they are able to update the software in the background while the STB is still on while the DISH requires it be powered off and rebooted. And no nightly reboot as rad mentioned below.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)