Anyone try this Satellite Meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anyone try this Satellite Meter?

More information here.

That is pretty decent looking. It is hard to tell whether it has any features beyond a typical DVB-S receiver's signal / quality meter, but with a builtin display and lithium polymer battery pack, that looks really convenient. Much better than dragging a small TV or monitor, a receiver and a power cord out by the dish(es).

With the video inputs it would be good to use just as a monitor for a non DVB-S receiver as well. And the price seems pretty decent. I have been looking for a small LCD to use outside and had thought about mounting the display from an old broken portable DVD player and a small receiver in a single box, but this is already done. :)

The units sold in GBP end up being about $20 less with shipping after currency conversion.

some concerns

With the video inputs it would be good to use just as a monitor for a non DVB-S receiver as well.
. . . . wellllll . . . let me say this about that . . .
I have a 7-inch LCD I use outdoors with a receiver.
It's just big enough to read and get the job done.

Not all small displays are 720x480; many aren't even close.
So, seeing small text or numbers may be ... a challenge.
Naturally, the big moving bar graph shows up fine. - :D

I'm sure whatever mode the unit works in to take measurements, has a large enough set of display characters to see clearly.

I just got done reading the users manual and that was a real trip. I wish the Chinese would get a new translation program. You're going to have to use some imagination to figure out what they really mean. Anyway, the unit seems to be a standard fta receiver (like my 2700A) with a small lcd monitor duct taped to it and put in a pretty case with a battery. The software update port looks like a flat usb connector but I couldn't find any info about updates available or if the channel list can be downloaded and then edited for uploading like other fta receivers. If you align a lot of antennas or just like new toys for Christmas, this might be an alternative to the $1000 units. Have fun.

I just got done reading the users manual and that was a real trip. I wish the Chinese would get a new translation program. You're going to have to use some imagination to figure out what they really mean.

oh so its like reading any FTA receiver manual ;) :D

Received the meter by mail service 19 days after the eBay purchase (starting to wonder if I had been taken by an international seller).

The manuals are provided in English and Chinese. As pointed out earlier, the English translation is truly painful! The STB menu language and display controls can be selected as English or Chinese, but the defaults are in Chinese.

The satellite list is for Asia is provided with no other satellites programmed. A satellite, transponder and individual channels may be directly entered. The unit has a flash port for firmware / satellite list updating (which sticks out in a position that could potentially be damaged). I have emailed the manufacturer and requested editing and programming software. Also requesting a few tweaks to the OUI and may end up carrying these as a low end installation tool.

The housing is attractive and appears durable with the exception of the flip top visor / cover, but the PCB board is visible when viewing the unit from the back. This unit would certainly have issues in real world weather conditions.

The screen resolution is adequate to read the menus. The menus were easy to navigate and within minutes added several transponders from several satellites. The unit supports 22KHz switching and DiSEqC 1.0. No motor control or additional DiSEqC commands (USALS or DiSEqC 1.1, 1.2 or 2.0).

An IR remote control is included and makes programming much faster than using volume and channel up/down buttons.

Strange for a unit that is promoted as a satellite meter not to display a full screen meter. No single button press is available on the front panel to display a signal meter. To display a meter, the installer must either carry the remote to select the INFO button or use the front panel buttons to enter the menu, select Information then a lower 1/3rd Signal Strength and Signal Quality meter appears. When the Information screen is displayed, the front panel LED displays the Signal Quality.

The satellite position calculator did not provide correct azimuth calculations and appeared to not provide magnetic deviation calculations either. The elevation calculation was nearly correct based on other calculators.

The presence of Games reminds the user that this is a standard STB chassis in a portable enclosure.

Battery life was around 3 hours powering a single output GEOSATpro SL1 LNBF. Charging is by included 8.5vdc wall adapter with radial plug connection and took about 2 hours to bring up to full.

There was great sensitivity latitude in the Signal Strength and Signal Quality meters and small changes in the dish aiming or LNBF skew were instantly reflected and seemed quite accurate. Locked onto low symbol rates quickly and controlled 22KHz and DiSEqC switching accurately. Channel acquisitions are very quick. Entered the TBN Galaxy 14 C-band transponder with HD channel and the unit played audio, but most importantly the unit did not lock-up.

When I was done testing, I just got a kick out of sitting back and watching Standard Definition satellite TV on the 3.5" screen with this neat little unit! Tool for the professional installer? Probably not. Tool for the backyard hobbyist or weekend installer? Definitely!

Attachments

• DSCN1933.jpg
    DSCN1933.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN1937.jpg
    DSCN1937.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1939.jpg
    DSCN1939.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN1949.jpg
    DSCN1949.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1947.jpg
    DSCN1947.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN1935.jpg
    DSCN1935.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 212
  • ScreenCapture.jpg
    ScreenCapture.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 220
  • SignalQuality.jpg
    SignalQuality.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
No Blind Scan.

Blind scan is not really associated with a cost factor. We have tested several sub $20 Ali chipset based full featured receivers with Blind Scan. I haven't disassembled the firmware or hardware yet, but it is possible that either the feature wasn't implemented or the hardware will not support. We will know shortly.....

i am looking to be i guess you would call a weekend installer so i can tweak my own dish and help others get dishes set up what would be a good beginner satellite finder. something good yet cheap.

I have a meter question.
I have been through 3 of those pocket meters that are about $20 on ebay.
They never last for me.
I took one apart and they dont look that complicated.
I was wondering IF anyone had a circuit for one, then I could build it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)