Anyone use Pay as You go VoIP service for phone line?

peterson40

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hello,

I do not have a phone line in my house and do not want to pay the 5$ extra receiver fee on the 622 because of it. Has anyone tried the Pay as you Go (Prepaid) VoIP services like InPhonex? I would never use it except for the dish calling out. What about the monthly subscription services such as vonage, sunrocket, pocket 8, etc...

Tim

No need for a pay as you go. Use some of the free services. The receiver is only dialing toll free numbers anyways. Check out FreeWorldDialup, SIPPhone, Stanaphone, etc.

digiblur said:
No need for a pay as you go. Use some of the free services. The receiver is only dialing toll free numbers anyways. Check out FreeWorldDialup, SIPPhone, Stanaphone, etc.

Do any of these support equipment that is compatible with Dish reciveres to avoid connection fees on dual DVRs???

Voip

I have my three receivers (622, 921, 811) conected to my VOIP system .They work fine. I can use my caller ID function on all three sets. I use SunRocket and have been on VOIP since last Oct.

pcbelize said:
Do any of these support equipment that is compatible with Dish reciveres to avoid connection fees on dual DVRs???

Yes, my favorite piece of equipment, best bang for the buck is the Sipura 1001. You can usually pick one up for about $60 at Voxilla.com. I've helped a few people setup one to fix the issue with the phone line when they only have cell phones in the house. Also as an added bonus you use the same box to call toll free numbers with long hold times instead of burning up your cell phone minutes.

iceshark said:
I have Packett 8, I have heard it wont work with the 622. Is this true?

I just got rid of Packet8 because my receivers wouldn't dial out. I tried everything and finally settled with Voicepulse. Now everything works....even the caller ID.

Last time I checked, Packet8 doesn't use the g711u codec which the receivers need for the analog dialup connection. The codec Packet8 uses has too much of a delay and too much compression and causes havoc to the connection.

Dishpointer, if you want to add some spunk to your VoicePulse service check this thread out. I happen to know the developer real well ;)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13371620

Thats too bad! I love Packett 8. It rocks for me. No drop outs or problems ever. I had Vonage and it was awful. Guess I will just have to pay the 5 bucks. It would be five more bucks a month anyway to go to another VOIP service since Packett is the cheapest at only 19.95 a month. Thanks guys!

Depends on what you need I guess... I pay $14.99 to unlimited for the area codes I need. Plus I pay another $5 for second line, calls roll over to the second line when the first is in use.

I also thought Packet8 rocked until I tried VoicePulse.... I'll never go back.

iceshark said:
Does Voice Plus charge for equptment? I got my packet for FREE and first month free. I see some VOIP rake people on setup fees. I will look into them/

They do charge an activation fee, but it will be returned to you when you are return the equipment that you are borrowing when you cancel. I'd consider it more like a deposit type of thing. There's no comparison between the voice quality mainly because of the g711u codec. I've always consider Packet8 kind of like a mix between full duplex and half duplex which is why I believe modems do not work on Packet8. Plus you get a bunch of geek features too that no one else offers.

Thanks Digiblur. I have been meaning to check out the Samurize app for a while but never got around to it. I agree that Voicepulse has better voice quality than Packet8. I'm glad I switched.

Free sounds good to me.

can someone point me to a free service?

All I will use it for is dialing up Dish, thats it.

Thanks

After working on this for a couple of hours, I got the 622 to work with FreeWorldDialup and the Linksys Pap2 device. It does everything from ordering movies to checking the bill... and best of all, it is free. Alot of the free services did not connect for we with an error message. Hopefully I will not be charged the 5 bucks now at the end of the month! I takes alittle configuration, but it is not bad... Let me know if you need any help.

you can download a new firmware for your DTA on 8x8 and itll give you all the codecs you need....i fax and use my HDtivo dialing out all the time.

ShadowEKU said:
you can download a new firmware for your DTA on 8x8 and itll give you all the codecs you need....i fax and use my HDtivo dialing out all the time.

are you talking about packett 8? I need it! Is it in the latest software?

Hello, I get my 622 installed today. I do not have a phone jack at my reciever. I was hopeful that my Packet 8 would work. I see your post and assume you are talking about packet 8. I have downloaded there newest update firmware.

May I ask, How do I go about using it with my reciever? Do I put a wireless client (router) at my unit? I already have a Replay on my wireless downstairs so the Buffalo client is in place. Or do I hook a wireless phone at reciever?

Thanks.

If you are using a Sipura or PAP2 here's a good dial plan for FWD. You'll notice it appends *** to 11 digit numbers. I've had more luck with the *** before the 1800 instead of just the single *

(*x.|**x.|*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|<:***>1xxx[2-9]xxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts