Anyone use Pay as You go VoIP service for phone line?

As installer, sometimes the customers don't have a telephone service but if you have a phone jack live(to be able to dial 911 only), in that case the receiver will reconize a phone line connected and you don't have to pay the $5 access fee for the 2nd receiver but you won't able to make any connection for pay-per-view or interactive feature.
Believe me I did that several times down here in Florida.

josem3 said:
As installer, sometimes the customers don't have a telephone service but if you have a phone jack live(to be able to dial 911 only), in that case the receiver will reconize a phone line connected and you don't have to pay the $5 access fee for the 2nd receiver but you won't able to make any connection for pay-per-view or interactive feature.
Believe me I did that several times down here in Florida.

I don't believe this... think about it. How does E* get the signal that you are hooked up to a phone line without it actually being able to dial?

I appreciate this info about VOiP. My problem, is I can not get a local number from them (or keep my number, same thing?) in my area.

iceshark said:
Me too but they still did not answer how I would set it up at reciever. I want to do it wireless with my router or client.

Just hook up your 622 to your phone line. Wireless jacks... straight wire...move the DTA to your 622. I wouldn't do it until you get g711u enabled on your box though.

digiblur said:
Just hook up your 622 to your phone line. Wireless jacks... straight wire...move the DTA to your 622. I wouldn't do it until you get g711u enabled on your box though.

Thanks Digi, however I am still confused. Here is my setup.

My VOIP Packet 8 box is connected upstairs to my PC's cable router by way of a network cable. Nothing is plugged into the phone jack as I have a set of 4 5gig wireless phones with the main phone unit plugged into the Packett box upstairs next to my pc.

My 622 is downstairs with not a phone jack in area. To get rid of phone nag I used 50feet of phone cable and plugged it into my wifes office phone jack in next room (wife has company paid standard basic Verizon phone service in office for work)

So I can buy a wireless jack and let it call by way of the Verizon in my wifes room.

However I for some reason thought I could put a wireless phone (one of the 3 left) near 622 with phone cord plugged into wireless phone. Wich in turn the 622 would in fact get a dial tone from the wireless phone as it transmits to Packet 8 by way of main wireless phone upstairs.

Lastly what is g711u? mean?

Thanks

iceshark said:
Thanks Digi, however I am still confused. Here is my setup.

My VOIP Packet 8 box is connected upstairs to my PC's cable router by way of a network cable. Nothing is plugged into the phone jack as I have a set of 4 5gig wireless phones with the main phone unit plugged into the Packett box upstairs next to my pc.

My 622 is downstairs with not a phone jack in area. To get rid of phone nag I used 50feet of phone cable and plugged it into my wifes office phone jack in next room (wife has company paid standard basic Verizon phone service in office for work)

So I can buy a wireless jack and let it call by way of the Verizon in my wifes room.

However I for some reason thought I could put a wireless phone (one of the 3 left) near 622 with phone cord plugged into wireless phone. Wich in turn the 622 would in fact get a dial tone from the wireless phone as it transmits to Packet 8 by way of main wireless phone upstairs.

Lastly what is g711u? mean?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with those phones but basically you need to get a dial tone on a wire to the 622 somehow.

g711u is the codec that Packet8 doesn't use, g711u is needed for modems as it's a high bandwidth codec. Packet8 by default uses a compressed codec which modems do not like (and also causes the 3/4 duplex you hear with voice). I've heard of people loading some hacked firmware on their DTA that will allow you to use g711u on all outgoing calls but incoming is still g729(or is it g723?).

I think someone else above posted that Packet 8 now works with his Tivo call out on DTV with new upgrade from Paket 8?

Think I may bag it and just use wireless phone jack.
Thanks buddy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)