anyone using a sami 7.5 dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hobbie2000

Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
michigan
I found a Sami 7.5 mesh dish, everything looks to be there, guy wants 100 bucks, he said he has the boxes to it, the lnb looks to be fixed. the motor is there, just wondering if it will do a good job of picking up most of what`s left of c band channels. I`d like to put up a bigger dish, but I think Ill be pushing it with this size of one. I found a free 10 footer fiberglass dish but its a on the other side of my state.

"the boxes for it" not valuable at all. IMHO $100 may not be too out of line but only if it's in very good condition. May be used to move the dish tho.** LNB/feed I'd change out to a LNBF just because of the simplicity and ease of use.
**SatAV posted that a new mover that the FTA box can control is 'in the near future'. It also will include a servo driver to operate the polarotor servos(skew/polarity) Just can't find the link.
Post some pictures. dish, actuator, feed and the comments will be here.
Oh. quite a few are running a 7.5 Sami.

how much are the new lnbf cost? the dish looks in pretty good shape, mostly sun fade, one spot has paint chip, but if I buy it ,I`ll repaint it anyway, But I just don't want to put a lot into it, I`m hoping the guy takes a little less for it.

I have a 7.5 Sami that I put together with all stainless hardware. I have it setup in my yard scanning 37.5w-83w and it works pretty well. I am in southern NH. I think the dish is a good compromise. It picks up most of the channels on each bird. I was getting everything on 58w but I lost some signal recently so I will have to re-peak it and take it from there. It is a great dish if you can get it at the right price. I think I paid 80$ or so for mine.

If you want to use it for c-band only, make the seller an offer. IF the dish motor is still working, and he is throwing in an older, analog receiver, you can always use that to move the dish and change polarity. If you want to go ahead and get the c-band lnbf, it'll make scanning the satellites with an fta receiver much easier. (you won't have to run 2 scans each time with the lnbf). You can find them for about 20-25 bucks. If you don't already have a seperate ku band system , you may want to get the c/ku lnbf model instead.
They're a little trickier to set up but I think lots of people use them on big dishes. SAMI is a good dish, I really like my 10' sami.

how much are the new lnbf cost?
see link below to Titanium site for possible choice
the dish looks in pretty good shape, mostly sun fade, one spot has paint chip, but if I buy it ,I`ll repaint it
Sun fade and a paint chip are no reason to Paint.
Thats something you do for rust. Save the work & expense.
But I just don't want to put a lot into it, I`m hoping the guy takes a little less for it.

I try to discourage people spending good money on 6' dishes.
As long as you don't spend too much on a 7.5', I think it would be a great starter system.
Just keep on the lookout for a top notch 10'er. :)
(another reason to not go crazy painting, buying a motor, or stainless hardware: it's not your last dish, just your next one) ;)
?.
Above, Fat Air mentioned a new mover with servo control.
Sounds great, but I'm not a subscriber to servo feeds. :down
Still, here is the link for it and a PLL C band LNBF:
http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/news.html
edit: and get the pole! That'll save you more money. :up

Last edited:
I just gave away a nice 7.5ft SAMI about 6 weeks ago. That dish performed well with a NS741s LNBF on both C and Ku bands and would lock and play about 95% of what my 10ft Winegard dish does now. The 10ft Unimesh I replaced the SAMI with isn't "that" much better than what I gave away and truth be known, I probably should have kept that SAMI. The guy that got mine is a member here and I look for him to be posting stuff about his install soon.

I do think the polar mount on the SAMI is better than most of the other brands I've seen and worked with because of it's offset hinge point. Makes things work better when working with satellites close to you zenith.

Mine had a Super Jack mover on it which was a decent piece also.

As others have stated, the old receivers and such are only good for moving the dish and if you go with a good C/Ku LNBF you'll eventually want to get a Vbox X or Gbox to move the dish. The Vbox controllers can be had on fleabay usually for under $40 and seem to work well.

As far as price goes, offer the guy $100 if he will deliver it and see how quickly he backs up on price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)