Anyone using SkyWay USA? How is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iwc,

I listed the 3 instances of things that were fabricated here.

I have no problem discussing these topics that you bring up at all.

I have nothing but good will towards our conversations so far.

I treat respect with respect 100%!!!!

All I ask for is the same back, OK?

If you want my respect here, you must earn it by posting FACTUAL, ACCURATE, and COMPLETE information...or by admitting to, and learning from your mistakes. Instead, you have come in here and with all the grace of a salesman in a tech shop, and made unsubstantiated comments about how you think one-way satellite is better than two-way satellite while at the same time, making obvious and repeated efforts to disguise the TRUE costs associated with a one-way system. When you get called out on it, you turn to the mods in a not so subtle effort to silence your critics with comments like, "I will pursue other avenues".

But hey, maybe I'm mistaken here. Let me summarize what I've gathered from your advertising attempts here, and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Your come here "[FONT=&quot]as an ambassador for DVB-S2 Hybrid SW-Modem technology" yet you openly profess no technical knowledge about your system.
2) You also state, "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I can help. I am also an impartial voice. I am not an employee of SkyWay USA"
3) You clearly state that your upload speeds are up to 50kbps, which is in excess of those allowed by the FCC.
4) You have personally witnessed latency times that violate the laws of physics
5) When somebody does point out an error in your statements, you either ignore it or repeatedly demand that somebody show you where you made the comment in question.

And throughout this, you fail to address Greg's first question...How is a one way system better than a two way system? By adding an additional/continuing charge for the customer for maintaining their home phone? By introducing another potential problem/failure point in the system that is beyond your company's (or the customer's) ability to repair? What happens to your redundancy, or even your service, when the phone lines go down because the local drunk driver decides to take out the local phone pole or a few squirrels decide to munch on the phone lines? Let me ask you this...how do either one of these scenarios affect a two way system?

Maybe you can convince me that one way is better than two way satellite.

While I have no respect for you yet, I can remain civil about this. There is a difference between the two, and only one is required here.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Let's see what you got.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
iwc wrote: What link? The one that's broken?

TW Reply: http://skywayusa.com/docs/DealerAdvantages.pdf

iwc: wrote:
And when it reverts back to dial up, it is no longer broadband, is it? And FYI, rain CAN and HAS taken out phone service.

TW Reply: I never said that dial up was a broadband service. We were talking rain fade not rain related outages. On that note I recently heard that fog is affecting 2-way KA-Band systems? Anyone know any details?

Actually, you said "Upload speed: up to 50Kbps" which would exceed the FCC limits.

TW Reply: yes but you said "or where you state the upload speeds can exceed the maximum allowed by the FCC"

TW Reply: I never said that sir

Then somehow, the laws of physics don't seem to apply universally then.

TW Reply: I was talking about what I've seen on the paid speed test sites, I never said it was an official statement or anything but what I had seen, the official statement is an average of 300ms.

iwc: wrote: So there are actually no reports, as in multiple reports, but instead we're to take your guess as a report?

TW Reply: I read reports of this varying figure every time someone talks about broadband these days, I've see 10 millions, 15 million, 20 million, 25 million NOBODY KNOWS!!! My guess is somewhere in the middle (10-15 million). I'm not sure what you're really looking for from me here? I suggest a google search, read NYT, USA Today, etc. see how that number varies from report to report. Check out the Federal reports, they're all over the map as well.

iwc: wrote: In this subforum, you've only posted two links that were not advertising for your site or product. One was the broken link, and the other was Echostar/Wild Blue announcement link.

TW Reply: As I mentioned before that was a list off the top of my head and not an in-depth overview of the costs, the technology or SkyWay USA's or any of our partner's specific programs. I will edit or that posting to help clear up all of the misunderstandings here, tomorrow.

Tell me how else we can clear things up here.

OTT I have made mistakes here, I've edited them. If you notice any further errors, I will look into them and fix them, so there's no ill will. I appreciate your conversation and agree facts rule any conversation. I apologize for any misunderstandings and look forward to continued good will here.

Regards,

Last edited:
Scott, I believe if you read my PM in the context of how it was written, as a reply to a post Greg made here it may make more sense:

Greg Said: Well Thomas, you've finally eroded away the last of my good will. Up till now I was just trying to coax you in the direction of full disclosure. But from this point forward, consider me your new worst nightmare. And I kinda think I'm not alone in this. So I strongly advise you carefully read and reread everything you compose from now on - BEFORE you click the Submit button. Because believe me, the words you post on the web pages I that frequent - are going to be introduced to Mr. Microscope and his associate F. T. Comb.

TomW PM to Greg:
Greg, I stand behind everything I have said on this board. You did no such [edit] thing. Full disclosure was there from the start. If you'd read you would have realized that from the start. Good will was never offered to me and you already are a nightmare IMO. Basically, if you plan increased [edit] scrutiny on my efforts all I ask is that you play fair, use facts, figures and true data and we'll be fine. If not, once again, I'll have to do my best to live with it. There is nothing else I can do except live with the fact that your type of behavior is condoned here, what else can I do, its his board right? Regards sir, Thomas William

Please explain how that can be construed as anything resembling any and all forms of harassment and not the respectful message thta I intended it to be when I sent it.

The other was immediately after Greg followed me to another web site, posted interactions which made it seem like he was purposely on a vendetta to discredit me and continue his antics elsewhere. It in a way got creepy IMO. It is what it is. I asked, didn't comply I went to the next avenue, you. You made the decision. I will live with it. You're the boss.

Regards,

Regards,

Last edited:
iwc: wrote: Actually, you said "Upload speed: up to 50Kbps" which would exceed the FCC limits.

TW Reply: yes but you said "or where you state the upload speeds can exceed the maximum allowed by the FCC"

TW Reply: I never said that sir

So now you're stating that your comment of upload speeds of up to 50kbps does not exceed the FCC limit of 44kbps?

On a side note, I've got a question about your self-installation package. Do you teach your customers how to properly ground the dish, IAW the NEC requirements and do you provide the materials required as part of your kit?

iwc, up to is the speeds that the modem is cabable of, you have to remember, these modems have been deployed in Europe (SES Astra), Asia, Africa, the world, because of the FCC limitations that were first posted here by Greg, we are looking at the marketing and will have any official statement shortly regarding this matter.

Yes we provide everything needed for proper grounding except the ground rod. I have attached our 12 page Installation Manual which explains the process on page 5. All of our installation support folks are also trained thoroughly on the subject.

Being an ex-PrimeStar guy, I am also 100% behind this subject as well as QC in regards to installations.

Attachments

• Broadband in a Box - Installation Guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 280
Fair enough.

But I'm still waiting to see how you think one-way satellite is better than two-way. I'm also curious as to how you state that there is no contract, when Skyway's website clearly states
SERVICE COMMITMENT: All SkyWay USA Plans require a 12-month minimum service commitment. You acknowledge that (subject to any exceptions granted by us) a monthly service fee will apply for each and every month (or portion thereof) that you are a Customer.
http://skywayusa.com/customeragreement.php

In further reading the Customer Agreement, this clause struck me...
g) to post information on newsgroups which is not in the topic area of the newsgroup;
Are they serious? SkywayUSA takes it upon themselves to determine what is on topic for a newsgroup????

Last edited:
Thank you.

I've always said No contract required unless specified by our partners, like SkyWay USA's 1 year. I sell systems wholesale all day long without contracts for around the $250 range. SkyWay USA subsidizes them, hence their 1 year agreement and $149.00 price point with the $100 rebate + activation fee + S&H + 1st month service fee = $253.90.

We have a partner in Louisiana that leases them, their customer doesn't pay a dime for the hardware just the installation + they WILL NOT sell them cash and carry/self install, professional installations ONLY!.

Not one sells this system the same as the next.

I'll give you a wonderful post regarding my fully disclosed thoughts on why I am a hybrid satellite modem guy. Hopefully this will open up some great discussions here.

Thank you for turning what was a very hectic, drama filled day into a very enjoyable conversation tonight!!!
Regards,

Installation Manual which explains the process on page 5. All of our installation support folks are also trained thoroughly on the subject..
The grounding disclaimer ("Note: please check local codes...") is a cop-out. It puts the grounding monkey squarely on the customer's back. Those three graphics (under the disclaimer) are misleading too. I can cite scenarios where imitating those three graphics can either result in no path to ground, or constitute a direct violation of the NEC regs. In 1-2 family structures for example:
#1 - Since it only covers the ground wire, the customer has no way of knowing if a conduit by itself actually represents a usable ground path.
#2 - suggests any "existing ground wire". Wrong. Existing residential ground wires are AC grounds. Satellite systems are DC, and must never be attached to the load side of a distribution panel.
#3 - suggests any "existing ground rod", without specifying that supplemental ground electrodes must be appropriately bonded to whatever constitutes the structure's common ground (typically beneath the service entrance).
The instructions also fail to address apartment and mobile home grounding. The rules are different than those for 1-2 family structures. Be advised before you challenge any of this - I have the NFPA 70, National Electrical Code right in front of me. I'll cite page and paragraph.

Next. AMC15 employs linear orthogonal polarization, which dictates a POL angle (skew) somewhere between + 90 degrees and -90 degrees . Yet the installation instructions are at best vauge about skew. The satellite calculator recommended on pg3 (DishPointer) provides a skew angle and direction, yet pg4 specifies setting the LNB at zero. Is it because the note on pg8 reveals the SkyWay skew can only be adjusted +/-20 degrees? Where I live for example, the POL angle with AMC15 is +21.4 degrees. Oooops. DishPointer also provides two Az angles; true and magnetic. Yet pg8 further neglects to tell the customer which one to start with. Magnetic deviation can approach 20 degrees in CONUS alone. If the customer unwittingly uses the true Az number as a compass point,
the recommended +/- 10 degree sweep could miss AMC15 entirely.

My SW20 questions remain unanswered by the way. In case you hoped I've forgotten, why did SkyWay elect to use the archaic 10Base-T and V.34 standards - instead of the more current 100Base-T or 1000Base-T and v.44 circuitry? Oh, and for the record; the 33.6 kbps (v.34) or 44 kbps (v.44) analog modem transmit standards originate from the ITU, then were adopted by the FCC.

Anyway. If I wasn't already pretty sure it would be a waste of time, these would make for some interesting questions to ask the "installation support folks".

//greg//

Greg, since this is our first interaction since yesterday's debacle, for the record, if you construed what I PM'd you yesterday as anything but a professional reply to your gruff post promising me you'd be my 'worst nightmare' I would like to make a public apology here and now, the alternative is not my style nor was my intent. OK?

Greg said: If I wasn't already pretty sure it would be a waste of time

Wow, for something that you see being a waste of time you sure put a lot of time into your reply...
With that said, I appreciate your efforts here. That manual's ink is still drying, a full team put that together and if interested I would like to get your thoughts on how to make that section better. As you can tell, 12 pages, simple, easy, so easy a 68 year grandmother just installed one herself, as advertised, you best, brilliant IMO.

You other 2 Q's haven't been forgotten, I just haven't had the time to get around to them. I'll do my best to get you what your looking for here.

The skew on AMC-15 has never been a factor on our .76 winegard installs. It just works without any adjustments.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)