Anyone watching Voom right now? I'm perplexed.

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
Stayed home sick today. Just woke up and decided to watch some HD. Turn on Voom and within five minutes I loose signal. I really mean lose too. Signal quality dropped from around 95 straight to 0. It just seems odd that it dropped to zero. I was watching last night and all was fine. I haven't had any severe weather in many weeks. At first I thought the dish fell off my roof. When I went outside I looked at the dish on the roof and all looks well, it's still there and seems to be pointing in the same direction.

Is anyone trying watch right now experiencing this or is it just me?

It's happened to me a couple of times lately. A reboot fixed everything for me. Has only happened on on 1 of my STBs not the other. This is the same STB that occasionally has microstutters.

Tomerillin said:
It's happened to me a couple of times lately. A reboot fixed everything for me. Has only happened on on 1 of my STBs not the other. This is the same STB that occasionally has microstutters.
Did you do a "factory reset"? I can't remember how to do one. I have held the power button for five seconds and unplugged/plugged in. Neither have worked. :confused:

I had some problems with the signal going in and out this morning. I thought it might be the component connection, but i had my DVD player on that input prior to yesterdays install. I'll check it tonite when I get in.

Hope you feel better.

I don't know jack about it, but it almost sounds like you got de-authorized by Voom if everybody else is having no problem. I switched on a bit of Equator to see the new channel. All working great here.

When responding to a reception problem by saying "it's fine here..." it would be nice to know where "here" is. If you could be so kind as to state a general geograhical location that would help the rest of us. (Like 1080i Wannabe in Santa Rosa, CA)

If his signal strength went to 0, then it is not Voom de-authorizing him. It is likely a loose connection. There are certain times of the year when you lose service for a few hours when the sun passes right behind the satellite and it ends up blocking out the signal. I doubt it is that, since it passes within 30 minutes or so.

wasch_24 said:
Did you do a "factory reset"? I can't remember how to do one. I have held the power button for five seconds and unplugged/plugged in. Neither have worked. :confused:

No, not a factory reset. I just held the power button on the front of the STB until the STB turned off, then restarted it.

Mr.Poindexter said:
...There are certain times of the year when you lose service for a few hours when the sun passes right behind the satellite and it ends up blocking out the signal. ...

That's interesting. What is the reason? How is the Sun blocking the signal?

wasch_24 said:

Don't do factory resets anymore. They do more bad than good anymore. If you do it, you run the risk of unathorizing your voom subscription.

deeann said:
Check out this page for an explanation (scroll to the bottom section "Satellites and the Sun").

OT but very interesting. I guess the lower the angle of the satellite, the earlier in the day the effect happens.

Somebody could write a computer program that predicts the date and time of the solar interference with "Rainbow1" for a given zip code.

When I get some spare time....

The sun interference happens when the sun gets right behind the satellite and drowns it out, this is not the time of year that it happens. It happens in the spring and fall around the equinox.

something simular happened to mine yesterday... I was watching and suddenly the picture went out and the light on the front of the STB went red... I tried the OTA channels and they worked and the light went green... I tried the sat channels again and no signal... I checked the system status - channel page and had an 82 off-air signal power and a 0 satellite signal power... I rebooted with the front button, after it's cycle finished the sat channels returned, but I lost the OTA channels... it took another reboot and it fixed it... I hope you get it fixed, I'm sure it would make you feel better...

Well, I called (the new number) and verified that my account was still active and I am scheduled to have a tech come out on Monday. Voom agreed to credit my account for the days that I will be without service while waiting. OTA still works fine and I am using the diplexor. If it is a loose connection it must be between the dish and the diplexor outside. The strange thing is that the little sattelite light on the STB goes from red for eight seconds to green for three seconds and continues to alternate at a constant rate until I enter the menu to see the signal strength to see if it is changing as the light changes. Once I enter the menu it stops changing and stays red. :confused: At first I thought maybe a bird crapped on my LNB, I don't even know if that would stop the signal. Getting on my roof myself is not an option as my ladder, hand-me-down, is about four feet too short. So I am forced to wait for the technician, if he remembers to bring a ladder :)

Wasch,

last night (while sleeping) we had a blackout because all my clocks were blinking without anytime this morning. My VOOM box was completely red (icon in front of stb). I did a reboot and got it back to green. I was thinking about you when I first saw it.

Sean Mota said:
Wasch,

last night (while sleeping) we had a blackout because all my clocks were blinking without anytime this morning. My VOOM box was completely red (icon in front of stb). I did a reboot and got it back to green. I was thinking about you when I first saw it.
I hope you were thinking about me after you woke up :)
I just keep hoping that I will walk into the room and viola everthing is back to normal, but no such luck. I guess I'll see tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts