anyone who's switched recently, what did you like/dislike?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jaschier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I am getting ready to quite dish and say goodbye to monthly employee credits. I'd probaby keep the service if i could get sunday ticket and espnu and cstv, but apparently charlie thinks its too small of a niche.

The only local D* dealers in my area are best buy/circuit city and one other retailer. the reps and CC and BB didn't even know how to turn the tv's on the D* receiver was on and couldn't tell me a single thing. I went to the other retailer, who had 60, 70, 80 inch plasmas and dlps all over the showroom, said the ony D* he had conected was the hd-dvr, but that it was different, in menus and guide etc from the other receivers. he told me if i didn't want to buy it and an hdtv to go with it to 'get out and go somewhere else, i only sell hd'.

anyway, i was hoping to see in person and with the remote what differences are between D* and E*. I wanted to see if i should get the directivo, or wait for direct's own brand dvr. i wanted to see how slow the tivo's guide (from what i've heard its slow) compared to my 522's guide or the regular D* guide, sounds like there's 2 diff guides.

Can either someone who recently switched either from dish to direct, or direct to dish tell me what you liked/disliked about one you left, and what you liked/disliked about the other that you added?
Thanks!

my mistake, i added an 'e' at the end. I am quitting dish and going to work elsewhere, so i will no longer be getting the employee credits after next bill i get.

if you go with directv, check out value electronics. they are a sponsor here and their link can be found on the main page. they treat you right and will answer any questions you have.

how much discount monthly did dish give you?

I'll check them out, but if i sign up with them, who does the install? right now i could care less about hd programming, because I won't be in my home long and will building one in a few years and will be building a home theather/bar/pool room and will spend all the money then, but for 3-5 years. it shouldn't hurt to say since i've given my 2 weeks notice, but i get dha top60, basically $31.99/month.

I'm just not sure if I should wait for direct band dvr or get directivo, someone on D*'s board said there'll be a 2year commitment w/ free dvr, but you can cancel anytime if you just give back the dvr, sounds good b/c i don't like commitments. or wait for nfl st promo in august/september.

Darrell, sounds like you have a hd projector? how is it working out for ya?

i don't know who would do it for your area, but i do know from reading others post, that they have very strict guidelines on who they contract out too. i have not seen any complaints from anyone on this board. when you call, mention that you are a member here and you get a discount. i can't remember if it is 5 or 10 percent.