Anyone with a Topfield PVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg said:
I found a couple sites that have the 5000 at 280 pounds (GBP). qucik conversion and its about 500 bucks US :(

Will they ship to the US? Even at 500 it seems to have more features than the Pan Sat 6000.

I seen them sell it in the UK for 250 GBP. That's about 443 US. They won't ship it international though :(

One of the things that I found interesting about this device is that people can use the GCC compiler [which is a pretty standard programming tool] to right their own "TAP" applications and run them on the PVR.

That's why it can run 5000 video games. People are using the processor and memory for other things than watching an MPEG2 stream. In the UK they apparently have a program guide extension that gives it the power of a Tivo without the monthly bill.

If this sucker hit the states, the geek community would attack it and extend it beyond belief. (Admittedly, the first extention would be for E*)

All the whining about firmware would be gone if a company would ship an open system like this... The user base would just write it themselves.

The "TAP" applications is what attracted me to Topfield. There is a huge geek base in UK and Australia making apps for it. This might be the future.. There is so much good hardware out there, but because of poor software implementation, it is considered bad. It's like good MP3 players blasted because they have a poor UI or playlist support.

All the Tivo subscription does is give you an updated guide. In the UK they have FreeView... The satellite sends down the guide. Of course if this happened in NA it would make Tivo obsolete :-D

Check this page out to see how it has already been extended... Scroll down to the bottom of the page and see all the TAPs you can add to your unit.

From auto-letterbox to giving you a graph of freespace left on the drive, this sucker can be made to have more features than my DirecTivo.

Good find Moonman. I'm going to try to get a few imported. I assume you are interested.

EDIT: We were positng at the same time. I see you found the TAP stuff. Incredible.

EDIT 2: Another difference. The 4000 can record 25 hours of a 4Mbps stream with a 80GB drive and the 5000 can record 44 hours of the same stream. I have no clue why. Since the data is the same size and it is extraordinarily unlikely they compress an already compressed data stream, it seems like either they have a bunch of junk on the old drive (overhead) that they eliminated on the 500 OR a misprint in the spec sheets.

Last edited:
I am definately interested, but if it costs more than 500 after duty and shipping, I'd have to think about it. :D

Katrinasucks said:
EDIT 2: Another difference. The 4000 can record 25 hours of a 4Mbps stream with a 80GB drive and the 5000 can record 44 hours of the same stream. I have no clue why. Since the data is the same size and it is extraordinarily unlikely they compress an already compressed data stream, it seems like either they have a bunch of junk on the old drive (overhead) that they eliminated on the 500 OR a misprint in the spec sheets.
I think you're reading wrong.
4000 - 40GB HD - 22 hours (http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/product.asp?SKU=TF4000PVR)
5000 - 80GB HD - 44 hours (http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/product.asp?SKU=TF5000PVR)

Naw- My last option must have been the winner... misprint on a different spec sheet I read

0/12V Control Voltage Output
S/PDIF for Digital Audio
Program / TP editing by PC
Recording capacity : 25 hours for 4Mbps stream with 80GB HDD
Time-shift function in a live program
Fast Forward/Reverse when replaying recorded contents

Thanks Larry. Good find. NA Topfield is not showing up in the search engines. They show the 5000 as $700... Although that price includes the dish. Mighty steep! :(

YOW! $778.33 Even if that is Canadian that's high.

For a second Larry, I was ready to kiss ya.

EDIT: Although if you buy at the Canadian link (not the US) it is 625C or 538USD - closer but I have idea how to bring them in the country.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)