Anyone with distants have their locals turned on this morning?

I was just reading about this over at dbstalk, apparently this is part of the settlement with the networks where Dish MUST turn on locals for everyone with distants whether we asked for them or not. Obviously we can have them shut off if we don't want to receive them. Apparently, the issue here is if your locals broadcast network programming BEFORE the distant channels you recieve show that same programming, those particular distants are in danger. If this is the case, those of us on the east coast should be in pretty good shape, but those on the west coast could lose NY distants if I understand correctly. Hopefully Scott or someone here can shed some more light on this. I really feel like I am in the dark on this, I'd like some info from Dish.

juan said:
If you live in a area where ny shows network programming before your local afliate does there is a very good chance you could lose your distants waiver or not..its part of the "settlement"

I think a waiver can override, we'll see though. My question is, is it if the distants brodcast before AND at the same time or just before?

A question I have for everyone here is if there is anyone who has distants and Dish offers your locals but Dish did NOT turn your locals on?

Ahhhhh - so this is the reason for the continuing law suit :D
It's a little ironic that I was forced to choose between locals and distants last year
It looks like there were a couple of posts that referred to this, but that's flat out saying that Dish did not care if you were eligible or not to receive or continue to receive DNS. Maybe it was not an issue to continue to receive, I don't know.

Reading another thread from a few weeks back, I remember Dish asked that any injunction be delayed to give Dish time to act, instead of having a million folks jam their Customer Service lines. Maybe Dish is now planning to turn on locals for all DNS customers where LiL are available, so that the judge will see an HONEST attempt by dish. Maybe if Dish acts faithfully, they can convince the judge to not punish DNS subscribers whose service address is not in a DMA!

EDIT: Regardless -- I believe we should be able to buy anything we want. My uncle use to say "For a price, everything is for sale, including his wallet." Maybe Dish felt that way too.:)

Last edited:
"If you qualify for distant signal service, you can only receive signals from stations located in your same time zone or in a later time zone, not in an earlier time zone. "

Okay I am in Hawaii. I can not get a signal OTA. There is no distant signal in the same time zone. So what happens?

Dune

Dune said:
"If you qualify for distant signal service, you can only receive signals from stations located in your same time zone or in a later time zone, not in an earlier time zone. "

Okay I am in Hawaii. I can not get a signal OTA. There is no distant signal in the same time zone. So what happens?

Dune

Hawaii, Alaska, and RV's are exempt from the time zone requirement.

Someone correct me but I recall that the earlier/later time zone issue was put into the law in regard to "digital" signals only. Of course as analog signals will be turned off in 2009 (unless deadline is extended again) it will come into play then.

I believe the law states that you will not be able to get a Digital Distant Network Program if the Distant broadcast is before the time that the program is scheduled to be broadcasted in your local area. Therefore it would affect Mountain and Pacific time zones.

Please correct if I am wrong

oh that makes sense that PST could watch prime time 3 hrs ahead of their natural time
I am Central time zone
Just checked and the 622 is unchanged. Wonder why just my 522 shows both, hum......

tigershere said:
oh that makes sense that PST could watch prime time 3 hrs ahead of their natural time
I am Central time zone
Just checked and the 622 is unchanged. Wonder why just my 522 shows both, hum......

If you want that Free local preview on your 622, you may need to call E* and have them hit that receiver. Back when I still had E*, their was a time that I had made a change of channels and the new ones showed up on one receiver and not the other, I called E* and they gave my anther receiver a hit and a few minuets latter I was getting the new channels on both receivers. For some reason their is sometimes a glitch in the system where a new channel or group of channels will be turned on, on one receiver but the outher one will miss the change and will require a 2nd hit.

Grandpa J said:
Someone correct me but I recall that the earlier/later time zone issue was put into the law in regard to "digital" signals only. Of course as analog signals will be turned off in 2009 (unless deadline is extended again) it will come into play then.

I believe the law states that you will not be able to get a Digital Distant Network Program if the Distant broadcast is before the time that the program is scheduled to be broadcasted in your local area. Therefore it would affect Mountain and Pacific time zones.

Please correct if I am wrong
That isn't the reason - it is being reported that the settlement with the stations (other than Fox at the moment) for Dish to continue providing distants (if the Court goes along) includes the time zone issue.

This activity by Dish, providing locals to those who have distants, plus confirming my address when I called (first time in seven years they have asked that) and RV waivers being reissued/confirmed seem to point to two things. Dish has good knowledge that they will be allowed to proceed under the agreement, is weeding out those who should not have distants, and verifying those that should. Or, Dish is preparing to have as few people effected as possible if they are told to stop distant transmissions. I really think it is the first, or they would not bother to requalify people if they were no longer going to have the distants anyway.

A great post by James Long was made at another site.
"If ALL the lower court did was follow the mandate of the appeals court as confirmed by one justice of the supreme court I would tend to agree with you, makman. But the judge has already left that path.

He left the path to injuction when he gave E* until September 12th to show cause why an injuction should not be issued. He left it further when asked Fox for a reply to the objections to their motion (instead of simply dismissing their motion and objections as unnessisary). The judge should be concentrating on what HE ordered --- the issue of E* showing cause why an injunction should not be issued -- not on Fox's actions. We are far off the path to injunction.

That is why I'm not ready to close the case and assume that E* will lose distants. It seems that the judge is looking for every opportunity NOT to issue that injuction.

Even if an injuction is issued it is not the end of the line. Regardless of the decision it will be appealed, either by the settling parties or by Fox. It's not over until the Supreme Court says that it is over (or all parties stop appealing)."

Last edited:
Call me crazy, call me confused, but if you have local channels - why in the hell would you rather have distants?

(Unless you're a New York transplant or something). :cool:

psumattDE said:
Call me crazy, call me confused, but if you have local channels - why in the hell would you rather have distants?

Your crazy! (you said to call you that!) Actually many reasons - you are from that city originally, your locals are from a very small town and the major city networks have far better news, your local is always pre-empting shows for local things.(used to happen all the time in Ct, not so much now) Missed a show and can still catch it later......... Two shows on at one time ............

psumattDE said:

A couple of reasons:

One is many affiliates from time to time pre-empt regular network programming and substitute their own - often "paid programming" info-merricals".

Another is many affiliates provide a very less than acceptable signal to satellite / cable and / or that signal gets degraded by the sat / cable company. Either way the PQ ends up much worse than the respective distant network.

Viewers, having spent a lot of money on their home theater system too, want the same viewing rights that others across the country have - to watch "Lost", "24", "Grey's Anatomy", "Prison Break", "House", Football, World Series, Nascar, or whatever, with the same quality sound and picture that most everyone else gets.

If their affiliate would consistently provide that, I don't think there would be anywhere near the demand for distants.

psumattDE said:

Also some have locals that have "Breaking News" or weather all the time taking up half the screen or completely replacing the program, also Billy Graham, Local Basketball etc...

and the PQ is not as good as my distants

I will wait as i dont want dish to hit the 622 'manually' as they might F up and drop my distants 3 months ahead of time, lol

so far i have not watched one local feed

psumattDE said:

Many reasons:

1) MUCH better picture quality, I noticed this when looking at the free preview of my locals.

2) Timeshifting. Woops, I missed that great NBC show at 8PM, oh well I'll just record it at 11.

3) Preemptions. Damn, there's a show I want to catch on CBS tonight, too bad my local station is preempting it for a local NAACP awards show. Well I guess I'll watch it on the NY station then.

4) More football, more baseball :)

Plus, I've just had the distants so long dating back to the C-Band days, I am used to having them.

Last edited:
tigershere said:
and the PQ is not as good as my distants

I will wait as i dont want dish to hit the 622 'manually' as they might F up and drop my distants 3 months ahead of time, lol

so far i have not watched one local feed

Yea my locals aren't as bad PQ wise as I assumed, but there's still a noticeable difference. I am also not going to call Dish and have them change anything at the moment in fear of an F up.

What's with the 'free local preview'

There is a channel on my Dish with a VP stating that I am getting my locals for free until January 1, 2007 and then if I don't drop them, I'll be charged for them.

(I have distants, not locals now and still have my distants.)

The funny thing is that my equipment is so old, I can't even get the channels.

I'm thinking of cancelling them today.

Anyone know anything about this?

Your question is being discussed in a prior thread titled :
"Anyone with distants have their locals turned on this morning?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)