Anything in the works for new HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Last I read DISH is almost out of space on the 129...and hard to do national without it. They could gain some space by knocking everyone off mpeg2. Unless Charlie finds sats that are up flying around not doing anything I'm guessing 2-3 years before a huge increase in capacity with new birds.

Last I read DISH is almost out of space on the 129...and hard to do national without it. They could gain some space by knocking everyone off mpeg2. Unless Charlie finds sats that are up flying around not doing anything I'm guessing 2-3 years before a huge increase in capacity with new birds.
This is why MPEG 2 needs to go away very SOON.

HD is beginning to mature, some channels are even going away now (HD version dropped) because they have too small an audience to be viable. Others pop up from time to time but many are to exclusive to draw much attention.

IMHO the next 2-3 years will see a further winnowing of those channels that are not viable and new ones popping up to try to replace them.

After all, you can only watch so much TV.

Not fast enough. Screw just going to 8PSK just go straight to MPEG 4 and skip another transition period.

Aren't you the same person that told me that it would cost DISH too much money to swap out millions of MPEG2 receivers with MPEG4 receivers?

I'm sure that there are many more MPEG2-only receivers than there are QPSK-only (legacy) receivers. Even at that I don't think that DISH is requiring 8PSK receivers yet. I think they only swap them out during tech visits and whatnot, not sure about that though.

I agree though, we need MPEG4 ASAP.

Which is why I think Dish should quit installing MPEG-2 receivers and just install VIP receivers from now on for new customers. Then Dish would just have to deal with the millions of MPEG-2 receivers out there. And when a customer's MPEG-2 receiver dies, Dish would just replace it with a VIP receiver and that customer would be good to go. Sure it would still take a long time, but at least Dish will be making some more progress on that transition.

Aren't you the same person that told me that it would cost DISH too much money to swap out millions of MPEG2 receivers with MPEG4 receivers?

I'm sure that there are many more MPEG2-only receivers than there are QPSK-only (legacy) receivers. Even at that I don't think that DISH is requiring 8PSK receivers yet. I think they only swap them out during tech visits and whatnot, not sure about that though.

I agree though, we need MPEG4 ASAP.
I don't think that I told you that. If I did then I don't think it is correct. I feel that the quicker they do it the better. I would like to see all receivers change out for MPEG 4 unit w/in a year. Then everyone goes to new units and they can have more bandwidth to use for other things.

Which is why I think Dish should quit installing MPEG-2 receivers and just install VIP receivers from now on for new customers. Then Dish would just have to deal with the millions of MPEG-2 receivers out there. And when a customer's MPEG-2 receiver dies, Dish would just replace it with a VIP receiver and that customer would be good to go. Sure it would still take a long time, but at least Dish will be making some more progress on that transition.

I agree.It would speed along the process, would get rid of mpeg 2 once and for all.If some customers dont want hd and dont want to upgrade their tvs, thats their business.Lets just not hold up all of us who have it .:)Their signal will be just standard definiton :sick:either way...That is if they dont upgrade their tv......

As someone who really likes Directv, I'll say Dish has a damn fine HD offering. My only bitch would be ESPNU, and thats only when Sec Fball fires up. Im pretty happy having AMC and BBC in HD, and the service has been great so far.

I record 20-30 hours a week, even right now, of all HD, so it's not like I have time for a new HD channel :)

If Dish is stil installing MPEG2 receivers, then doing away with them is not even in their long term plans. As long term plans would at require that they not install anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)