Anything is possible but in all fairness...

So I just got email from VOOM...
I've been going through HELL with a subcontractor that Installs, Dinc was using in my area. They were supposed to come out and do an OTA upgrade. There have been 3 noshows/nocalls over the past month. I finally got frustrated and bought my OWN CM 4228, and will install it myself when I get a chance. They were supposed to be here last Thursday, AGAIN, and I had meant to cancel the call, but got busy and forgot.

VOOM's email says they cancelled it, and I won't be billed for any services after the date the call was logged. That's very considerate of them, and makes sense when you think about it. People with calls logged would just contest the billing anyway.
:)

Lob

We're sorry to inform you that VOOM will discontinue providing service as of April 30, 2005. As a result, we have cancelled your scheduled service visit. You will not be billed for service beyond the date we received your service request. If you have any questions you may call 1-800-GET-VOOM. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
VOOM

Yeah, that's nice. Thanks.

I'm amazed...

I am simply amazed that the average consumer is completely unaware of the coolness of HD programming. Every show broadcast should be HD, plain and simple. Further, it is amazing at how many people are still paying hundreds of dollars per month for the closest thing to comprable programming from their local cable provider, or another sat. provider. Example: it would cost $200 PER MONTH for me to subscribe to all of Time Warner's offerings, and they'd still be short 27 HD channels. So... better overall programing + more programming + cheaper monthly rate ($90 compared to $200) = company going out of business because of lack of consumer awareness. Wow, it's amazing how these cookies crumble...

What I wouldn't give for Jim Dolan's email address. Chuck's as well. They would different letters of course.

Voom4Me said:
I wonder if it’s too late to upgrade to the VaVaVoom package and ride it out to the end? I hate to see voom go and would want to get in as much Voomin as possible before April 30. :(

Thats what I did last month (for this eventuality) I got them to give it to me for free. It would a nice farewell gesture for them to upgrade eveyoneto VaVaVoom till the end (Unfortunately it may only serve as bittersweet reminder of just how much all the other providers SUCK!!! ) :eek:

I started doing my comparison shopping and all I see is RIP-OFFS From Adelphia on up to D* and my old Provider E* and BellSouth. If I can keep the STB I may just switch to OTA like when I was growing up and give the big fat finger _|_ to all the "pay for" services. 60.00 bucks month for a crappy picture, channeles I don't want and no HD. :mad:
I'm crying in my Martini I tell ya.

Or maybe I'll just go back to Pirating Cable like when I was younger... :D

optimusprime said:
lol... let's start our own service... POV: Pirates of Voom network!

ARRRRGHY MATEY Shiver me STBs and Blow me QAM
Theres HD Booty Out there me lads!

HAAAAARRRRR (Cough Cough )

Qeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuaaaarrrr!

These here decks better be swabbed with pixels, matey!
You'd best be thinkin' of Dolby Digital if ye' don't wanna be walkin' me plank!

bye voom

NEW YORK -- Cablevision Systems Corp., a New York area cable TV provider, said it would proceed with a shutdown of its money-losing satellite TV venture called Voom.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission released early Friday, Cablevision said the service would no longer be available to customers as of April 30.

The move represented a defeat for Cablevision's chairman and founder Charles Dolan, who had championed the service. His son James, Cablevision's CEO, had sided with board members who opposed it, leading to a bitter family feud.

Investors, who had long been skeptical about Voom's prospects, applauded the company's belated move to exit the satellite business, sending Cablevision's shares up 25 cents. or 1%, to $28.09 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Jamey K said:
What I wouldn't give for Jim Dolan's email address. Chuck's as well. They would different letters of course.
Not quite positive, Jamey, but it seems to me that Jim Dolan's email WAS posted somewhere here at one time. Maybe someone can come up with it in a PM...or something. I'd like to have it too...hint, hint...if anyone knows it! :dev Vicki :)

kcribb1 said:
NEW YORK -- Cablevision Systems Corp., a New York area cable TV provider, said it would proceed with a shutdown of its money-losing satellite TV venture called Voom.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission released early Friday, Cablevision said the service would no longer be available to customers as of April 30.

The move represented a defeat for Cablevision's chairman and founder Charles Dolan, who had championed the service. His son James, Cablevision's CEO, had sided with board members who opposed it, leading to a bitter family feud.

Investors, who had long been skeptical about Voom's prospects, applauded the company's belated move to exit the satellite business, sending Cablevision's shares up 25 cents. or 1%, to $28.09 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

OK Guy we got it you don't have to post it on every thread.

t

Ok. Im personally going to remain pessimistically optimistic...especially considering I just had V* installed this monday 4/4. I've been talking great things about it to all my coworkers, so naturally im hearing loads of @#$% about it. With that being said, seeing as how its going to be difficult for D* to move the bird quickly(60 to 119 or wherever is going to take a orbital path in front of the ISS, which only has two functioning gyros) i think there (d*) gonna probably try a cust. scoop up. Im sure there already internally talking about it. Any reason why not??

jaydog said:
...i think there (d*) gonna probably try a cust. scoop up. Im sure there already internally talking about it. Any reason why not??

I'd been with Dish for over 7 years before I switched to Voom. Without the Voom HD exclusives, neither D* or E* are getting me back: there is just so little I watched there and the PQ was just so pathetic on a larger monitor.

Between Netflix and the Internet, I think I'll just stick to HD OTA (not that there is so much to watch there either:-(

Sean Mota said:
My personal believe is that you guys are the one that made the forum a great resource of information. Yes, it got heated at times and a few people we had to ban. But we try to give everyone a fair chance to express themselves one way or another. We only hope that some of you can stay as we will start using our creativity to put/make our HD forum more visible. HD is here to stay and has taken a step back first with Encore HD going dark and now VOOM going dark on 4/30/05. We will try to bring you the best of what we can offer in HD. Thanks for your support through coming here or becoming a supporter of the site. We appreciate you as well.

No Sean, Thank You!
Thanks for always scanning the threads, especially the help threads, to aid us during desparate times! I wish the board of CV put up as much effort as you, maybe things would be different!

Wishing you the brightest HD future,

Paul

Waaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr!

Vicki said:
Threv and optimusprime...don't pirates usually kidnap a serving wench to take along on their voyages? :confused: I volunteer...and I'm a good cook! :D Vicki

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaar fair lady! (Arrrrrrrgh... Seem's Arrrrrgh be th' only good letter t' be usin'...) A wench, indeed! But cook, ye' not be doin'... You best know how to scuttle them thar ropes an' prepare t' board coward Dolan's ship... A wee lass as yourself, he won't be 'spectin...! ARRRRG!

Aye, aye, sir...and with a wee small silver dagger concealed in me voluptious bosom...and I'll stick him like the pig he be!!
violent-smiley-046.gif

costumed-smiley-056.gif
Waaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!

jaydog said:
Ok. Im personally going to remain pessimistically optimistic...especially considering I just had V* installed this monday 4/4. I've been talking great things about it to all my coworkers, so naturally im hearing loads of @#$% about it. With that being said, seeing as how its going to be difficult for D* to move the bird quickly(60 to 119 or wherever is going to take a orbital path in front of the ISS, which only has two functioning gyros) i think there (d*) gonna probably try a cust. scoop up. Im sure there already internally talking about it. Any reason why not??

I think you are greatly confused about geostationary satellites and the ISS (International Space Station). The ISS orbits the earth at an altitude of about 200 miles. All the satellites that provide satellite television are geostationary which orbit the earth at an altitude of about 22,000 miles. So there is no way a satellite in geostationary orbit could be moved in front of the ISS. I also don't understand how D* (DirecTV) is involved in this at all and how did you come up with the idea of a satellite being moved related to Voom? The Voom satellite, Rainbow-1 will not be moved even if Echostar (E*) takes ownership of it.

Vicki said:
Aye, aye, sir...and with a wee small silver dagger concealed in me voluptious bosom...and I'll stick him like the pig he be!!
violent-smiley-046.gif

costumed-smiley-056.gif
Waaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!
God bless ya Vicki. You seem to be the only one with a solid plan! :clap

Vicki said:
violent-smiley-046.gif

costumed-smiley-056.gif
Waaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!

A fair wench Vicki... forget master Dolan and and HD and take me into thy voluptious bosom. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)